“Great Hotel & Value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #62 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Great Hotel & Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

We arrived in Boston at check in time and found the Front Desk staff to be friendly, helpful and welcoming. We drove in, so we also needed to park our car somewhere, when I booked online both of their websites stated that parking was $20 however when we paid for the parking they charged us $28. It was conveniently located in the parking garage directly behind the hotel which was very convenient and we also paid an additional $11 to stay passed noon in the garage till 6pm which we didn't mind for the next day. Our room was huge! we had a bedroom and then a separate bathroom which was in our room entrance but across a hall, it was like a small apartment. There was a nice tv, and microwave in the room too. Our bed was surprisingly comfy, sometimes in budget hotels the beds are less than to be desired but we slept great. You can tell the building is old but it is very clean & comfortable. After arriving in our room the front desk even called up to our room to make sure we had everything we needed and our room was acceptable. Breakfast as others have stated is very basic, coffee, tea, juice, milk, cereal, bagels, mixed pastries but these days alot of hotels are not giving a free breakfast so we thought it was just perfect for the money we paid to stay. The location of this hotel was perfect for us, one block away from Fenway park, 20 minute walk to the mall, and to get to Fenuil Hall and the harbor Front the subway is a 2 minute walk to the T line which will take you everywhere! We love Boston and we now love this hotel and will be staying there again for sure!

Room Tip: Take the T line subway everywhere you want to go, its easy and $2 a ride
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We recently stayed here for a weekend in Boston with another couple. I will say I was a little nervous about staying here do to the age of the building. Upon arrival we were greated by friendly, upbeat and entertaining front desk staff. Check in was quick and void of any confusion. We had reserved a two bedroom suit for the evening. The suit was large and spacious. The "living room" in the suite boasted one of the best views we could have hoped for. The suite itself was clean and the bathroom newly remodeled. To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatment. The hotel is in close proximaty to many diffrent restaurants and bars. I would not reccomend eating the breakfast that is offered, it is located in the sushi/karaoke bar conected to the hotel. We were there late night the evening before and it wasn't the greatest experience!

Overall, I would reccomend this place to anyone who wanted a good deal for a weekend stay in Boston. Close to almost everything, resonably priced, and a great staff! We will be back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

This is going to become my new home away from home! Stayed here for four nights in early July (including July 4th). Check in was easy, got a double room on the 6th floor. So close to Fenway Park (major plus for a huge Red Sox fan) that I felt I could throw a baseball onto the Green Monster from my room!! There's a Uno Chicago Grill in the same building, plus more restaurants close (or, for those who prefer fast food, a McDonald's over the road and Popeye's next door), and an awesome burger joint called uBurger just a three minute walk away. Kenmore T station is right there as well. Room was exactly what I needed - comfy bed with a good shower (and good toiletries as well). Looking forward to going back!!!

• Stayed July 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel a few times and it is always my first choice when going to Boston, especially to see a Sox game. It is walking distance from Fenway and even has window views of the park. The service is always amazing. The front desk staff are friendly and accommodating. I even forgot my camera and they had it shipped out to me that same day!! As for the price you can't get hotels for this cheap anywhere else unless they are trashy. The Buckminster is NOT! It is old but its charming. I love it and will use it every time!!

• Stayed May 2011
Madrid
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

Stayed at the Buckminster Hotel for a week in order to attend a workshop at MIT. It was graduation week and all the hotels in Cambridge were booked, so had to look for an alternative outside Cambridge. The Buckminster hotel is a reliable choice, in a wonderful location. Next door to Fenway park if you are a baseball fan (I'm not), and only a leisurely 20 minute stroll away from Cambridge, with great views of the Charles basin on the way. Although rooms are basic, they are more than adequate: clean, quiet and comfortable. Also, you have 100 minutes of free internet a day, an increasingly rare amenity these days. Finally, staff were very attentive and ready to offer advice on the area or meet any specific demands.

Great choice for the value-conscious traveller.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

My wife and I were in Boston for three nights to see a Red Sox game and do some other sightseeing. I had never been to Boston before and really had no idea about hotels, but I kept coming back to the Hotel Buckminster. I had read some very mixed reviews on TripAdvisor and was a little hesitant going in, but the price was right and location couldn't be beat, so we gave it a shot.

We were expecting an old, archaic type building but were pleasantly surprised to see the inside was quite modern and welcoming. The front desk staff was extremely pleasant and helpful and we were granted our request for a room facing Fenway Park! The room was perfect, far beyond what we anticipated after reading some other reviews on here. The view was great and the room was clean, cool, and comfortable. We were happy to have a fridge and microwave in the room as well. It also benefited us to have a laundry room with coin-operated washer/dryer right next to our room as we were in need of doing laundry.

The location was great, literally right across the street from Fenway Park, and within a block of the Kenmore subway station. There were a lot of great bars and restaurants right within walking distance.

The price was reasonable considering other options in the area. I think we paid $545 for 3 nights.

I can't really think of any complaints or anything negative at all. The continental breakfast was a little weak, but adequate. Overall great experience. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Fenway Park!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Cranston, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

I went to Boston to see a concert at The House of Blues and decided to stay here because it's so close to the venue. The hotel was ok-- we just wanted a place to crash. However when I checked my bank statement, I saw that I was charged an extra $100. When I called to find out why, they accused me of taking the alarm clock radio. My boyfriend is a police officer, and I am a teacher. We would NEVER take something from a hotel (or anywhere) that didn’t belong to us, but they would not give in. I ended up paying for the clock-- which was probably worth half that price. Maybe it was an honest mistake on their part, but I just wanted to put this out there. Take an inventory right when you check in, or it can be a VERY expensive night.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Boston Hotel Buckminster? Share your experiences!