“Female Traveling Almost Alone - Perfect Weekend/Perfect Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Breakfast and Parking
Ranked #19 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Largo, Florida
“Female Traveling Almost Alone - Perfect Weekend/Perfect Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

I LOVED THIS HOTEL!!!!

First off, this review may be slanted as I'm typically a Best Western value type chick who doesn't enjoy spending $5 for a Vitamin water in the mini bar, though I love having access to one knowing it's there if I need it. Anyway, the reason I selected this upscale boutique hotel is ... my husband was off to Boston with one purpose - Extreme Beer Fest. He was to be involved with his buddies and festival the ENTIRE weekend leaving me to explore alone, etc. I selected this hotel as it was closest to the Cyclarama (sp?) and right outside a t-stop and seemed very safe, upscale without being a stuffy Marriott, youthful and COMFY .

Safe/Secure & Helpful!
The staff will bend over backwards for you. I locked myself out of the room and waited an entire 60 seconds for someone to help me get back in - they even checked my ID to make sure I wasn't breaking into a room - though I was in my socks and PJs.

The concierge is busy, but makes time for you and acknowledges you even when they’re on a call or with another customer making you feel important. With a few moments notice, they gave my husband a ride to his walk-able destination (it was bitter cold that weekend!) in their new Smart cars – super cute cars by the way! I believe they will drive one person within 1 mile of the hotel. Smart cars only have room for one person along with the driver, so couples, this won’t help you, in my case it worked out fine.

Every night when my husband returned late in the evening, they checked his ID and room key to make sure he was really staying at the hotel. This was very comforting to me as a woman spending most of my time alone at the hotel. Also, ladies, the doors have THREE locks on them.

Room Service
Though slightly overpriced with a $4 service charge and automatic 18% gratuity added, the food was great (I ordered a chicken salad on roll with fries – mmm!)
The food arrived quickly and prepared perfectly and correctly.

Perks & Package Deals
Please make sure you sign up for the iPrefer card which allows you use of the Internet for free and late/early check ins/outs. The person who took my reservation was shockingly helpful having the consumer’s best interest in mind – he suggested it, knowing times are tough I’m sure. They have great packages, the one we took advantage of was based on the temperature outside. We paid $30 for Friday night’s stay and $295 for Saturday. Our package also included free hot cocoa and parking and a 2-hour tour of Boston via a TROLLEY ride! I loved it! My biggest regret was not doing the haunted/ghost tour the evening before! I loved the room, decorated so much in my style, my husband kept teasing me. Very hip, modern – though make sure everything works – three of our four reading lights were burnt out but I didn’t bother to report it. The upscale bathroom toiletries are amazing and if you’re there more than one night, they will restock them!

Location
Perfectly situated by the Prudential Center, Barnes & Noble, PF Chang’s, Daily Grill, Cheesecake Factory, an oversized Shaw’s supermarket (get your bottled water, snacks there, $1 DVDs for the kids and save $ on the overpriced mini bar and in-room movies). Also a few blocks from Newbury Street – great shopping and galleries!

Restaurant
The French restaurant was great for breakfast, they give you a 15% off coupon – you may want to try walking a few feet to Thornton’s, we were feeling lazy and anxious to head home so we hit the brasserie for breakfast on Sunday morning on our way out.

Parking
Car is safe, only people for the hotel park there. We even saw an attendant keeping an eye on things – very reassuring! Parking was paid for by the hotel, thanks to our package!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

I cant say enough about this hotel. Usually stay at the Westin but decided to give this hotel a try. Its right next door to my usual hotel in Back Bay. Cant beat the location. Public transport train outside front door. But the staff drove me to my office in the hotel smart car - so cool and green.

Rooms are large and clean...very clean. Loved the spaciousness and the bed is equal if not better to the heavenly. Hotel would not divulge the brand of bed as I inquired about buying one. Really great kurig coffee maker like I have at home. They replaced the Kona coffee each day. High def large tv and dvd players. Very new and state of art. Had door bell and digital heater/ac.

Staff friendly and acted grateful for my business. Only bummer was the pool was not open and I read about it. Highly recommend and will return.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Stirling, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

We did the Romantic Weekend Getaway for the weekend before Valentines Day.
Beautiful huge room, great view, 'Parisian' Breakfast via room service, special turntown service, all for $151 per night!
Front desk was friendly. I wish the doorman on arrival would have been more helpful, though. We had to carry our own bags in while the doorman stopped to kiss up to someone else arriving.
The bar and Brasserie Jo were excellent.
All in all, we had a great time.

• Liked — beautiful room, great location, great restaurant/bar
  • Disliked — expensive internet access
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2008

My son and daughter-in -law brought myself and my dog to the Colonnade on Sat 13 Dec due to the massive ice storm in the northeast on 11 Dec. Staff couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating, it was a pleasant respite from living in a 40 degree house waiting for the power to come on which still hasn't as of 18 Dec. I will stay at the Colonnade again for the weekend as a mini vacation. Thanks to the staff!!

Valerie Robertson
Stratham, NH
[--]

Stayed December 2008
rehoboth beach, de
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

Just returned from a weekend in Boston. We loved the Colonnade and are looking forward to staying there again. Very impressed with updates and all the details. We had a 5th floor room, facing Pru Center. Upon cking in, we were asked if we'd like a higher room, but we stuck with 5th floor. Next time, we'll go to a higher floor. They allowed us to check in early....they had no idea that it made our stay in Boston much more enjoyable. Looking forward to staying there on our next visit!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bangor, ME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

I was looking for a place to stay in Boston for a long weekend (11/8-11/10) and stumbled upon a great deal listed on travelzoo.com. The special rate included parking ($38 a day)! We travel with our laptops so I'm always checking out the internet connection rates as well. The rate is normally $13.95 for connection, however, as another member pointed out, it's included with the their member program-"i prefer" which is free.

We've traveled to Boston many times over the years and have walked by The Colonnade but have never stayed. Definately our mistake!

The location is fantastic! The "T-green line" is literally outside the front door. Prudential Center stop. Across from the hotel is the Prudential Center and the large mall is attached to it. You can actually walk for blocks through the glass walkways.

The hotel went through a recent renovation and it's fantastic! The rooms are tastefully done with crisp linens and modern lines. I'm a fan of the king bed but when the kids are with us we have to settle for 2 doubles. The beds were comfy and pillows soft. The room boast large windows and can even open a little to let the fresh air or just get a feel for the temperture outside. We had a wonderful room on the 11th floor and was more of a cube set up rather than the typical long room. Each room has a flat screen t.v and a nifty ipod docking clock. My favorite extra was the extendable reading lights attached to the headboards! The bathrooms are a little on the smaller side but modern and clean which is all I'm concerned with.

We never got to the restaraunt or to the fitness area. The pool is closed for the season but I understand it's quite nice and a happening spot.

The best part about this hotel is their staff. They were genuinely friendly and helpful. Everyone person you met had a smile and a hello for you. Never once did it feel forced or insincere.

I would definately recommend this hotel for your next stay in Boston! We'll be back for sure!

• Liked — Staff & Location!
  • Disliked — smaller bathrooms
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

We chose the Colonnade Hotel as the location for our wedding reception and couldn't have been happier with our selection. Not only could our guests not stop talking about the excellent accommodations and service at the hotel, but the event itself was perfect. The examples of the Colonnade's exceptional attention to detail and all the "special" things the hotel did are so numerous, we've had to categorize and summarize them below:

1. Event Selection/Planning: The wedding packages offered are terrific. They include everything you could hope for and don't nickel and dime you. The Event Planning Staff is very knowledgeable and was willing to accommodate any special and/or unique requests we had. We spent 9 months planning the event with the coordinator and felt the entire time that every aspect/detail/concern was addressed and covered by the event coordinator and banquet manager. They were available at all hours, even giving us their home email address.

2. Hotel Location: Perfect location! It is right downtown in Copley, feet away from the Prudential Center with a T stop right in front of the Hotel. There are multiple restaurants (local and national chains, fine dining, quick eats, and even a sports restaurant), a 24 hour grocery store and a 7-11 all within 100 yards. The Trolley Tour pickup and Duck Tour are across the street.

3. Hotel grounds/rooms/amenities: The Colonnade sparkles with class and resonates with elegance. The rooms were recently remodeled and look modern and sharp; flat screen TVs, iPod docking stations, marble sinks, and modern fixtures. The rooftop pool is a MUST-SEE. It has awesome views of the city (including Fenway Park). The restaurant (Brassiere Jo) is top-notch, with excellent food and a terrific Belgian beer selection.

4. Hotel Staff: Everyone (Myself, my wife, our wedding guests staying at the hotel) were treated like royalty. No request was too small and everyone was made to feel accommodated and welcomed. The staff seemed to know all our wedding guests by name and treated them with 5 star professionalism. Multiple examples of "above and beyond" service, for example:
- Special amenities left in our parents rooms.
- Very early check-in for some of our guests who arrived early due to incoming flights.
- My friend forgot to pack his suit jacket and the Concierge gave my friend his own personal jacket to wear for the wedding (literally giving him the "shirt" off his back).

5. The Wedding: If you are having an event in Boston (Business, weddings, large party) you should seriously consider the Colonnade. The staff, food, roof-top pool cocktail hour, & reception hall all served to make our wedding a classy, elegant, and uniquely memorable event. Our guests said we could have stopped after the cocktail hour and it would have been better than any other wedding they attended. The food astonished everyone. Everything from the stationary displays to the passed hors d'oeuvres to the dinner itself met and could beat the standards of any 5-star restaurant. The chef personally came out to check on the food and the entire wait staff knew every detail of the dishes prepared. The hotel wedding coordinator and banquet manager were there every step of the way, ensuring not one detail was missed. The front desk manager and hotel staff could not have been more professional and accommodating. Everyone exceeded our highest expectations.

To summarize - we would recommend this hotel for any of your needs whether vacation, business, or major events. We plan to celebrate our anniversary here for many years to come.

• Liked — Location, food, room/amenities, AND THE AWESOME STAFF AND SERVICE!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Colonnade Hotel? Share your experiences!