“Poor to average; the price and the location were right” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free Parking and WIFI
Ranked #67 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Portland, Maine
“Poor to average; the price and the location were right”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

This is not the worst hotel that I've stayed at in Boston. That would be the Boston Common Hotel and Conference Center.

While our room at the Midtown Hotel was far from perfect, it was neither as grim nor as dingy as the Boston Common Hotel and Conference Center. The staff at the Midtown Hotel were very nice, cheerful, and helpful. There was always someone at the entrance ready to hail us a cab if we needed one. The lobby is striking as a mid-century modern throwback, but it's just serviceable. Although, it felt quite safe and open.

Our room, which the man at the desk said had been renovated, seemed to have been partially updated. The carpets and headboard were new. I figured that the tub was new, because it was so elevated. I'm 5' 6" and I was taller than the shower head's position. Overall the room was clean, but the bathroom needed a scrubbing. The toilet and the sink were fine, but the baseboards and the woodwork had what I can only imagine were bodily fluids, as well as hairs, stuck to them. There was also hair on the tub and the TV remote. Basically, I wondered if the housekeeping staff might need to update the prescriptions on their glasses. The bed was not comfortable, forcing us to tumble into the center. At night, an incredible amount of light from the hallway came into the room by way of the space under the door. I blocked it with our suitcases.

But, again, this was not my worst hotel experience in Boston. And it was pretty much exactly what we expected from what we'd read of the hotel on the Internet. I can't say that I was disappointed, but nor was I pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is very convenient to everything in Back Bay, especially Symphony Hall. The cost of our room was not excessive by any means. Since the hotel was built at a time when America was becoming more suburban and car-dependent, there's lots of parking located beneath the hotel. We knew the location of the Midtown Hotel, the room price, and the convenient, low-cost parking would help us to save a lot of money on our stay compared to what we'd pay at another hotel in Back Bay. We opted to skimp on lodgings, seeing as we had little intention of spending lots of time at the hotel, and spend what we saved on a meal at a 5-star restaurant and on museum admissions.

If you're traveling on a budget, you could do a lot worse in Boston than the Midtown Hotel. Bring some Clorox wipes if you have to or, unlike us, tell the front desk to have housekeeping clean the woodwork. It wasn't perfect, but we'd stay here again just for the deal on parking alone.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Washington, D.C.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I had to stay here for a group event, so I did not get any choice and would not stay here on my own accord. The hotel was cheap, and that is for a reason. While the location was fairly convenient, albeit drab, that was the only real positive about the hotel. It really is more of a motel, with two floors and a huge, spread out layout. The hallways were pretty gross and the lobby was almost nonexistent. The rooms themselves were not great. The beds were uncomfortable and old, and there were hairs all over the bathroom (this made me question the overall cleanliness). The wifi wasn't free, which was a shame. Not the worst place I've ever stayed, but would not return if I had the choice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I stayed here one night visiting my son at Northeastern. The hotel is spartan but clean. In fact, the room I got was a lot nicer than the lobby area: large bed, HDTV, clean, up to date bathroom. There is parking in a lower level outside area just behind the hotel ($24 cost but you can enter and exit as many times as you want for day trips). Note that my GPS took me to a side entrance to the hotel, not to the main entrance with the ramp to the parking. Basically if you see a small entrance with the Midtown sign, just continue down the street about 300 ft.

My room was quiet even though it fronted the street. The staff seem friendly and attentive. There are only one or two clerks behind the front desk, though, so I suspect it gets busy at times.

There is no restaurant nor room service -- it's too basic a hotel for that.

I also left my iPad behind and the hotel staff were nice enough to send it back to me by Fedex (my charge of course) within one day.

For the price ($120 for a king bed using AAA), I think it offers tremendous value for money and a convenient location. Check out the web site for other discounts: from memory, if you're staying or visiting a local hospital, they offer an $89 rate. If you're visiting a student, there's a special rate.

Room Tip: Probably quieter to be off the street
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I went to Boston in December 2013 for New Year's eve. I stayed here with my wife for 4 days. The Midtown Hotel has an excellent location near Subway station (3 minutes walking), and close to Copley Place and Prudential Center.

Quick and easy check-in and check-out. The hotel room was always clean and ordered, but it doesn't have a fridge.

In my opinion, the internet service is expensive and it works just for one device, if you have two or more devices (for example smartphone and a laptop) you have to pay for each device.

The night staff was really unfriendly, I never heard one word from them... The manager should pay more attention to the night customer service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
North Easton, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

If you are looking for reasonably priced accommodations in a downtown location that can't be beat, the Midtown is the perfect place. While it may not have some of the luxurious amenities of the big-name competition, you will pay hundreds of dollars less for a large and very comfortable room in the heart of the city . . . and let's face it, when you are visiting Boston, you are probably not hanging around the hotel all day anyway. Ideal location to access museums, shopping and Fenway Park, with subway and rail stations minutes away. The staff is exceptionally courteous and helpful. Parking prices are very reasonable, and you can access your car in seconds. I stayed several nights on business and could not have been happier with the experience. I highly recommend this hotel for both business and families visiting Boston.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here at the beginning of January and was firstly taken back by the disappointing look of the hotel from the outside. In a city where old meets new architechiture the Midtown was neither. A two story building which to me, looked like a set of mobile buildings fused together. Next was the dated corridors. It felt like a scene from a movie which the motel was the star. Lightly coloured walls with blue doors. Some rooms hand internal windows facing out on to the corridors. All of that said, our room was clean, spacious, had a great coffee machine and tv, and wonderful comfy beds and linen. The hotel is set in the dark ages mind, and further evidence was the comical hassle of trying to obtain an internet connection. In a world where you can walk around town freely picking up wifi, browse the net at 38,000 feet, at the Midtown you needed to get a tacky piece paper from a special sealed envelope which had a code on it. Next you needed to wait for the receptionist to write your code down on another piece of paper in a random space it appeared where no other codes had been written. You was not allowed to do this over the phone from your room. Wow it was the internet so you had to make your way to the front desk.

So would I stay at the Midtown again. No. However, if you have booked don't be worried. It is a basic hotel that is clean and friendly. It is just stuck in the 80's.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

If you don't need to stay at the nearby Sheraton, this is a good, lower priced alternative. It's old, strangely laid out, and simply furnished. The furniture is old and beat-up, but the hotel is clean and the staff is very courteous, friendly, and helpful. Don't hesitate to ask questions at the info desk. Factor in no breakfast, $10 a night for wifi, and $22 for parking.

You can walk to Fenway, Boston Pops, and the Prudential Center. There's a Subway restaurant next door and nicer restaurants nearby. There's also a stop for the Old Town Trolley two blocks away at the Collonade Hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MidtownGM, General Manager at The Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and also for posting a review on TA. I apologize for the condition of some of the furniture that you noted, but am happy to announce that we are in the process of completing a partial renovation, including new furniture. I hope that you will stay with us so you can see them, next time you are in Boston. Safe travels.

Been to The Midtown Hotel? Share your experiences!