“Great room and service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Charleston, South Carolina
“Great room and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The guest room was very large and very well appointed in a masculine and classic style. Location was great for walking the popular sights and enjoying the Boston Common. Staff was friendly and helpful with late checkout and providing transportation to airport.

Room Tip: Corner room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed at the XV Beacon for 3 nights in September 2012. Firstly the location is great - albeit a little busy. Beacon Hill is close to everything and a lovely place to walk around. The hotel itself is fairly small and very traditional in style. The lobby is tiny. However the rooms are fairly large and very comfortable. I had high expectations and in general it lived up to those although it's not a place that instantly wows you.

• Stayed September 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed here last weekend and endorse it fully. I booked using Amex FHR program. We were upgraded to a corner room on the 10th floor at check in and offered check out at 4pm. The room was well appointed and spacious. It was somewhere between Vegas sheek and Four Season timeless. The location of the property made walking the first option often. With the advent of services such as trip advisor, yelp, and zagat we don't take full advantage of concierge services but whenever we asked for confirmation or reassurance of place we selected the concierge was most helpful. Possibly our favorite feature of the hotel was the courtesy car. In most cases the house car was a Rolls Royce Ghost. Some times we were forced to "settle" for one of the house Lexus'. Great place. We will be back.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

A New Yorker raving about anything "Boston". Well, here goes....I stayed at the XV Beacon for one night but seeing that is was my first time at the hotel, I arrived early to check in. From the get go, I felt like a long time returning guest. The doorman/valet quickly approached me as I pulled up in my car and greeted me. Entering the hotel I felt like I was in a wealthy friends estate. Extremely tastefully decorated with the warmth of a "family" feeling. My room was on the 10th floor and was extremely elegant, but with a comfortable vibe. Nice working area, excellent lighting and fixtures. The fireplace is an awesome touch and felt like I was in a british novel as I worked in my room for a few hours. I never left or entered the hotel without being greeted with a hello or goodbye. I rarely sleep straight through the night at hotels, but at the XV Beacon in my cozy bed, I slept for 8 solid hours. The personal touches here are excellent. The staff seems to really want you to enjoy yourself, and it shows. I had drinks at the bar at Mooo. Cozy bar with plenty of room to relax Had breakfast there the next morning and it was superb. I cannot wait for my next trip to Boston so I can see everyone again at the the XV Beacon. Highly reccomend.

Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We really liked the hotel. Here are the best things about it: 1) Very quiet. We went to bed early every night and napped during the day and I didn't hear one noise. Not in the street, not in the hall, no doors slamming, staff walking about/talking--nothing. I never even saw anyone else on our floor. 2) Complementary car. Every night the hotel's wonderful driver took us to dinner in a Rolls Royce. And he gave us his card and when he was free (most of the time), he picked us back up. Now the car was booked every other time we needed it, but for the evenings we'd booked it ahead it was amazing. 3) Concierge. Took care of everything we needed, was never busy. Negatives: Really there is only one. We arrived about 3:00 and our room wasn't ready. The hotel offered to buy us drinks in the bar while we waited, but I wasn't interested. After a four hour flight I was ready to check in! Our room was ready 45 minutes later, but still, very aggravating. And I'm torn on the location. Part of me liked it because it was so quiet and very close to all the Freedom Trail stuff. We could walk to Faneuil Hall and the North End. It was also very close to Boston Common. On the other hand, it might have been nice to be closer to Newbury. Next time I'll probably give the Taj a try. If I'm being extremely picky the sheets on the bed were very scratchy, but housekeeping made up for it, they were great and had always come when we returned to our room, even if it was around lunchtime and they always did a great turndown service too. If you like quiet luxury boutique hotels I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

From the horrible internet, broken phones, broken alarm clock/radio, broken switch for stereo, pint-sized room with no space for hairdryer other than the garbage can! ......why come back?! After several stays here we will never return. They put us in a pint sized room with the only storage being a drawer which also housed the extra toilet paper and hair dryer...too many other options to even consider this totally outdated, once lovely hotel where the only words are..."we're sorry"... Stay at the mandarin, taj, westin copley,four seasons, anywhere else.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if they are giving you a horrible room with no space at all for any of your belong...
XVBGM, General Manager at XV Beacon, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Although disappointing to read, I do appreciate your feedback about your recent stay with us. I immediately met with my management team to review the documentation of the issues you had experienced for this is far from the norm of our service. We were 100% occupied during your stay and when you made your reservation, we only had our Classic room type available (310 sq ft) . This is our smallest size room and was explained via email. Knowing you desired a larger room and since we did not have any available, we place you on our highest floor and gave you a discounted rate due to you being a return guest. I wish we were informed of the items that were not working in the room during your stay. Had we known, we would have rectified the problems. We did test the clock, stereo and phone after your departure and all are in working order. We have recently updated our property since your last in Sept 2011 and continue to do so. We plan to enhance our WiFI technology in 2012 due to the increasing demand. I wish I could go back in time and make your stay with us enjoyable. If we had a larger room to accommodate you, we would have absolutely upgraded you. Again, I am sorry for the unpleasant experience. I do hope you will try us again.
Regards,
Amy Finsilver
GM
Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the XV Beacon as part of our 30th Wedding Anniversary. They certainly did their part to make our stay memorable. From the immediate upgrade to the Commons Studio to the bottle of Sparkles and Nibbles awaiting us in our room the experience was simply superb. The personal touches like setting up the room in the evening with music playing and a kind note on our bed informing us of the weather for the next day all contributed to the very special character that this hotel has. All the staff were very considerate and helpful often anticipating our needs before we had even expressed them.

We had breakfast at the Hotel restaurant which again was excellent (just had fresh fruit and granola with toast), it was well presented and the fruit very fresh. Meals at the restaurant however are expensive.

The only possible criticism would be that the air conditioning is a little noisy and on the first night this was a little disturbing. We found however that we were quite comfortable with the air conditioning off and one of the windows open (it was early October). Street noise was minimal and certainly quieter than the AC unit.

Overall a great experience. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting that extra special hotel experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to XV Beacon? Share your experiences!