“Top Drawer” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Orange, Ca
“Top Drawer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2007

This small hotel is amazing. Expensive, but quality
in every way. It is classic and elegant. The service
was impeccable. A few of the amenities include fully equipped marble bathrooms, heavenly beds, rooftop garden,
sitting area and work station in room, fireplace and
entertainment center, It is located centrally and within
walking distance of many historical monuments. The staff
is extremely attentive due to it's small size. The adjacent bar/
restaurant serves wonderful small plates of food.
Enjoy!

Stayed June 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2007

We stayed in room 207 at XV Beacon for two nights in November. When we checked in I was disheartened to see that we had been given a room on the 2nd floor. When I asked the woman working the desk if there was anything available on a higher floor, she told me that there was not but not to worry it wasn't on the street side and therefore wasn't noisy. Is it possible that she is unaware of the garbage truck that arrives at 6 every morning and spends 30 minutes loading all the garbage from the hotel restaurant?? Trust me, we would have welcomed a bit of traffic noise by comparison! I mentioned this when checking out as well as my surprise that this particular room was not at the cheapest room rate when it was so clearly in a compromised location. I had intentionally not booked the least expensive rate for just this kind of reason. The man at the desk gave me $200 off our stay which at least was something though it could be considered an admission of guilt. But what really upsets me is that I left a shirt in the room. There is no doubt in my mind because I had it when I was unpacking and didn't have it when I got home the day we left. The room was extremely dark so it doesn't surprise me that I might have overlooked something. I called to inquire and they said that it had not been found. I then wrote the assistant manager an email imploring him to look again and I received no response at all! Then I forwarded that email to the manager of the hotel letting him know that the assistant hadn't responded and I have had no response from him either. Perhaps I am naive but I find this totally unacceptable in a small hotel that should take great care to give good customer service to its guest spending over $1000 for 2 nights.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bermuda
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2007

It has a great location and for the most part it is a lovely hotel with a nice atmosphere but there are some problems and I probably wont stay here again.

One of the reasons I was so attracted to this hotel was that every room had a 4-poster bed but having stayed there now - I really didn't see the point in having very plain metal bed posts round the bed in the Standard Room we stayed in. It looked like we were sleeping inside a fish tank or some kind cage! I think the larger rooms have more decorative bed posts but they should take the posts out of the standard rooms because they look boring and out of place and get in the way of the TV!

I sent the following e.mail to the hotel and have had no response:

..............

My husband and I stayed with you last weekend and enjoyed it very much but I would like to note a few things for your consideration:

1) We had to call several times for things to be brought to our room. I asked twice for a second robe but never got it and we waited more than half an hour for an ironing board and iron after requesting it twice.

Your In-room dining service managed to prepare and deliver a full cooked breakfast in less time than it took for someone to deliver an iron!

2) The fire was always on (although very low - with one small flame - it still created a fair bit of heat) even when it was switched "off" so that we had to have the air conditioning on all the time just to keep the room at a reasonable temperature. I imagine that this wastes a considerable amount of energy and as someone who cares for the environment I found this very unsatisfactory.

3) There was a chair in our room that space didn't really allow for. We had to move it to get into the mini bar and it just didn't fit anywhere else. My advice would be to remove this kind of chair from this kind of room.

4) It was an unpleasant surprise to find the housekeeping area with a mess off dirty laundry and cleaning products at the bottom of the stairs coming down from floor 10 to 9. It looked really bad compared to the high standards elsewhere in the hotel. I assume it is unintended for guests to use the stairs here but this was not clear to me.

5) When we checked out the person at the front desk didn't ask us if we had enjoyed our stay and although he was polite I would normally expect such a question to be asked. When they don't ask it feels like they don't care about their guest's experience at their hotel.

We still had a good time but overall - for the price - I feel that the XV Beacon isn't worth it.

I hope that this feedback is helpful to you.
................

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2007

We had 3 nights at Beacon XV and we were a little nervous before we arrived because of the mixed reviews it gets on Tripadvisor but we had a lovely time.

first, because it was my birthday, my husband rang the concierge and arranged flowers & champagne in the room. on checking in we were told we'd been given an upgrade to a studio as it was a special occasion. the room was large, beautifully furnished & appeared to have been recently redecorated - all the fabrics/soft furnishings were fresh & stylish. the bed & chairs etc all very comfortable.

the flowers were beautiful - they must use a very good florist.

the location is ideal although be warned there is traffic noise.

staff were polite & friendly - room service staff & the breakfast crew in the restaurant are particularly nice.

the room was very clean. air conditioning worked well. nice products in the bathroom.

there is precious little to complain about.

we'd stay there again in a moment.

• Liked — Stylish and comfortable.
  • Disliked — Traffic noise
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
St. Louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

I stayed at XV Beacon shortly after it opened and was very impressed. I returned to find same great location, furnishings that were a bit worn, two filthy dried wash cloths stuck to the surface of the space under the sink, a concierge who eagerly took a phone call from someone while working with me and only put the caller on hold after I began to walk away, door men who were as often as not, inattentive. As others have said, these are little things but for the price, I expect not to have even these little issues with the hotel. That said, the location is perfect, rooms are pleasant, drivers were very nice, housekeepers and desk staff professional, food and room servcie very good (although pricey).

• Liked — location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

We had been wanting to stay at this hotel for a while and had heard great things about it. The location is wonderful - within walking distance to many great restaurants and shops, plus the park is right there. The service was wonderful at the hotel, but the rooms and hotel in general were very run down and need of some serious updating. Especially for the prices they are charging! The stereo in our room was from the 1970's and didn't even work. The bedside controls for the fireplace and stereo didn't work. The carpeting was not flat in areas, the vase was dusty when we first walked in.
Also, had heard such great things about the rooftop and when we got up there it was such a dissapointment.
The hot tub sounded too good to be true and they were nice enough to heat it up for us for when we got home that night, but when we went to check it out, it was slimy and dirty...
I hope they do some updating and serious cleaning. The updated restaurant was also great.

• Liked — The friendly staff and location
  • Disliked — The run down feeling of the property
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

Each year I attend a meeting and Boston and I anxiously wait for the chance to stay at this Boston landmark!

Everything is EXCEPTIONAL! The staff begins with WOWing you at checkin. The rooms are tasteful, luxurious with every amenity you could dream of! The remote control gas fireplace and incredible soundsystem make you want to curl up in bed and order room service. However, that would mean missing one of my favorite restaurants in the US- The Federalist. Few hotels outside of Europe have incredible in house dining- XV beacon has it! Their wine list, staff and incredible dishes are a constant in the 6 years I have visited this Beacon Hill beauty,

Need to run out to Newbury Street- they'll wisk you there or to the airport in their custom Mercedes at no charge! Luxury, style, convenience with attentive, intuitive service.

• Liked — Incredible rooms and service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to XV Beacon? Share your experiences!