“VERY disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Land O Plenty
“VERY disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2007

WOW what a disappointment. We stayed here a couple of weeks ago. After returning home, I thought about the poor service we had received and emailed the hotel about it. I was immediately sent back a generic email acknowledging their receipt of my email, and told I would receive a response within 24 hours. 4 days later when I still hadn’t heard back, I called the hotel. I was assured by a very nice man at the front desk that my concerns would be addressed. He confirmed my contact information. Now 12 days later I STILL haven’t received the courtesy of a response and apparently never will. WOW, still can’t believe this. For a new upper class hotel to act with this extraordinary lack of professionalism is a total mind blower. They do not give a rat’s butt about my experience, and don’t mind that I know this- the message cannot be clearer. (And if I now receive a response to this review from the hotel, I'll be even madder that this is what it took for them to take notice.)

We stayed here on a Friday night. This is an 18 story hotel which is very nicely appointed. It has what I'm sure is a very nice restaurant (though too expensive for us), a nice bar with couches & comfy chairs, a top notch very large full service gym, and an indoor heated pool. What could be the problem, you say?

1) The "no tipping" policy sounds good when you check in. We discovered soon however, why it isn’t. Absolutely everything you buy and do and eat has an automatic 18% charge tacked onto it. Friday night we went to the hotel's bar. We ordered a margarita, and a gin & tonic, and were served quickly. We asked for a menu and while going over same, I began to realize that my drink was not a gin & tonic but a RUM & tonic- absolutely no question about it. Still, not wanting to make a fuss, I said nothing at first. Meanwhile, I noticed that everyone around us had been served with the standard bowl of peanuts that bars serve, except us, but I thought, no matter, our order will be taken and we'll be eating soon. (We were pretty hungry.) We decided on items from the menu, and put ours down on the counter and waited. The bartender, the same one who had given us our menus, walked over and left our check, then walked away without a word. We sat there, confused. No one approached us to take our order or at least offer us the peanut bowl. Meanwhile I had my rum and tonic in front of me. I flagged down another bartender and told her about the mistake with my drink and that I didn’t want it, and asked her to remove it from the bill. She apologized and did so, and when I looked at the new bill, it contained not only the $10 charge for my companion's drink (yes $10 for a margarita), but also the hotel's 18% "service charge".

So for unacceptably poor service, for which I wouldn't have left a tip, the staff still got their full tip. Again – I emailed the hotel with this story, and they never responded. Maybe this particular incident wasn’t a huge deal, but by first telling me I would hear back in 24 hours and then not responding to even my follow up request for a response, it became a big deal to us. What this hotel does not understand is that the whole IDEA behind tipping is that it hopefully encourages good service. If you received good service, you tip, if you didn't, you don't, yet this place forces you to, regardless.

2) Location- I can’t stress this enough to those who are unfamiliar with Boston: this hotel is in a VERY odd, largely empty area of Boston down by the fish piers. Trust me, there ain't much going on here, folks. Also, the area is positively brimming with parking lots, yet they still charges you $28 dollars a day for parking yourself in their garage! You are at least 7 very large virtually empty city blocks away from anything a tourist or even business traveler would want to visit or see, such as Faneuil Hall or the Freedom Trail or downtown, etc. You are near some seafood restaurants, the Institute of Contemporary Art, and Dunkin Donuts across the road. That's it.

Granted, the newish "T" line, the Silver line, is across the street, so you can hop on the train/bus to get into town, but otherwise this is a dead, empty area of the city.

3) Our room was quite small - literally smaller than rooms I've stayed in at the Motel 6. Nice bathroom, nice fluffy feather pillows, nice down comforter. But the tv wasn’t what one would expect in a hotel of this class – for example you literally had to walk up to turn it off and on (the remote only worked to change channels). Perhaps a small thing, but things add up at this place.

4) Noise: While there is virtually no noise from outside the hotel, we were treated several times to the sounds of our neighbors urinating, which was clear as a bell for some reason, and mind you, not something we heard from inside our bathroom which would have been understandable, but from the main room. I have no idea why this is, other than paper thin walls, apparently. Also, the toilet flush is extremely strong. Not a bad thing I guess, but what that means is, each and every time any of your neighbors (above below or next to you) flush, you hear it, all night.

5) Overly pricey hotel restaurant. For example, $14 waffles. To be fair, we didn’t eat there so I can’t vouch for whether it might be worth the price.

6) And finally, the pool is a quite small for a hotel of this size and both times we attempted to use it, it was full with literally a dozen kids splashing around, tossing balls around & running all over the place. It was like being at a daycare center. There was no physical room to swim, so were unable to. A surprising finding for what is supposed to be a business hotel.

We looked forward to staying here, but were disappointed on so many levels, particularly the hotel's refusal to even attempt to address or respond to our complaint, that we certainly never will again.

• Stayed February 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SeaportGM, Vice President, General Manager at Seaport Boston Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2007
When I first read this review, I must admit I was angry. Not at this guest for writing but because this person attempted to communicate his dissatisfaction with his experience and we failed to show empathy while responding to completion. This is extremely unlike this hotel and the team members who work here. I am very proud of the service that is provided here and the consistently high levels of performance that one can read about in most of the TripAdvisor reviews and elsewhere.

On reading this we immediately launched an internal investigation. We were able to identify who received the e-mail complaint about the Aura Lounge service and I now understand the fumbled communications. I wrote to bboinnng and apologized profusely. We recognize that we did not meet Mr. bboinnng's standards of service in this case, and we compounded that by not responding promptly and fully. We apologize for those failures, and we have used this situation as a learning experience to drive our efforts of continuous improvement.

Seaport is a no-tipping environment and our service levels are exceptionally high. In my years at the property, I have known of one protest to the automatic service charge that was voiced over the principle, and the service charge was immediately removed from the bill. It is more common that guests voice their concern that they are not allowed to tip.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2007

I stayed at the Seaport Hotel/Boston over President's Day weekend. The hotel, while nicely appointed and comfortable, featured walls that weren't as insulated as I think they should be.

I was sitting at the desk working on my laptop and was interrupted shall we say by the very clear sound of someone using the facilities either upstairs or next door. I heard everything, and I mean, EVERYTHING coming from the bathroom. The Seaport should have put more money into constructing the rooms with soundproofing, not only for the outside walls, but additionally for the inside ones as well.

While I would recommend this hotel for a business traveler or tourists, they should be cautioned as to the noise that may eminate from the next room.

• Liked — Location, views, bed pillows
  • Disliked — Very audible bathroom noises from the next room - Seaport should have insullated better
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
outside Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2007

I've stayed at the Seaport several times over the last few years. I travel to Boston frequently, and the Seaport is one of the few hotels I've chosen to stay at more than once.

While the hotel is a bit farther removed from the heart of the city, it's by no means out of the way, and the level of service more than makes up for a few extra blocks walking.

The staff is extremely helpful and dedicated to making guests feel not just welcomed, but special. Especially notable given the all-inclusive, no tipping policy at the hotel. There's also appears to be a very low staff turnover rate, and it's been great to be welcomed by the same friendly faces each trip. It feels more like visiting an old friend than staying in a hotel.

• Liked — Attentive service
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2006

I am so disappointed to have to write this review. I love this hotel and its service inclusive policy and so much of what it tries to achieve. Unfortunately on my last trip here a number of things left a bad taste in the mouth.

Good points first of all
- no tipping
- the best hotel gym I have ever been in (and I have seen a lot)
- free internet in the room
- great food in the bar and friendly bar staff
- good enviromental policy

Bad points
- our 4am alarm clock did not materialise meaning that we were almost late for our flight.
- the taxi they called was 'jumped' by another taxi who then tried to con us by not turning on the meter. The bellhop placed our luggage in the 'wrong' taxi and we felt forced to go with the wrong one - he didn't seem to care that this taxi had appeared from nowhere.
- there are no breakfast items on the in-room menu before 6am

I suppose the big question is would I stay here again? The answer is an unequivocal 'yes' but I don't think of the hotel as fondly as I once did.

Stayed December 2006
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2006

Very impressed with the Seaport. A lot of little touches that make it great - the doorbells, with do not disturb feature, the gym was great and the room service was also very good but expensive.

• Liked — gym
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
So Cal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2006

My husband and I have stayed at the Seaport twice in the last 6 months. Service is excellent (right from when your cab pulls up to the hotel), the rooms are spacious, comfortable and clean (and some have awesome views of the harbor) and the atmosphere is one that makes you feel right at home. All the service people were friendly, efficient and responsive. The hotel's no-tipping policy is a very nice touch -- more hotels should do this! The restaurant and bar have good food and are convenient. The quick walk , adjacent subway stop or free shuttle to downtown make it a nice base from which to see Boston. It is a little removed from the busy, noisy downtown, which for us is a positive. There are some great restaurants in walking distance and you can catch a ferry to Provincetown across the street. We fell in love with Boston and the hotel was part of the reason why.

• Stayed October 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2006

There are few options of nearby places to stay if you are attending a converence at the new Boston convention center. Although I did not stay at this hotel, I had friends staying at this hotel and spent a lot of time there while attending a conference this past week. If you are attending a conference at the new Boston convention center, would highly recommend staying here over the neighboring Westin hotel. It is just a short walk across an overpass to the convention center and much nicer and cheaper than the Westin. Service, food quality and options and the business services offered are much better than the Westin. Here are some specifics. While the Westin hotel charges their guests 20 cents a page to photocopy, the Seaport charges 10 cents. It cost $10 to print out a 6 page Word document at the Westin--at the Seaport, access to computers and printers was free for hotel guests in the business center. Also, a computer is set up in the lobby for free guest use (Westin charges 9.95 per day for wireless access in the rooms). Unlike the Westin hotel, guests were notified when overnight packages arrrived (at the Westin they charge for the privilege of picking up the packages and don't even let you know that they arrived). Although very large, the Westin hotel does not have sufficient capacity to serve food to its guests. Only one restaurant plus a Starbucks in the lobby at the Westin--at the Seaport there is a bar/lounge, restaurant and Starbucks. One night, I was told there was a 1.5 hour wait for Westin room service. When called back 1.5 hour later, was again told it would be 1.5 hours. When shared this story with a friend at the Seaport--she said that the wait was always a half hour or less for room service. Other Westin guests also complained about the food. One day, guests waited over half an hour to access the Westin lunch buffet even though there were empty tables (not have enough staff). In comparison to the Westin, service was warmer at the Seaport. To say "thank you" to the Seaport for their kind service while attending the conference, I ate as many of the meals that I could there. Food was also better at the Seaport (e.g., turkey sandwich at the Seaport was carved turkey instead of pressed turkey at the Westin). Cleaning could be better at the Westin although only about 6 months old--big stain on the carpet, a previous guest's old food was still in the minibar, and used glasses were put back where the clean ones should have been. To be fair, I did speak to the Westin manager about these problems before I left and she did offer $100 off my very expensive week stay. However, if I was returning to Boston for a conference, would book the Seaport.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Seaport Boston Hotel? Share your experiences!