“Loved the Seaport, but location could be an issue” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #1 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
La Jolla, California
“Loved the Seaport, but location could be an issue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2009

My husband and I were going to Boston for a conference. This was only our second trip away from our kids in 6 years. In shopping for a hotel, I was shocked at the rates in the area over the Columbus Day holiday. Simple 4 Star hotels seemed to be in the $350 range....which to me translates to the Grand Wailea in Maui...why would I pay that in Boston...okay so not a big city traveler. Anyways, I went with priceline and got this for $175/night.

We bought the Charlie card that is $15 for a week of subway/bus use...what a steal! We took the silverline bus to the hotel, which was as easy as riding a hotel shuttle. We arrived at the hotel at 730AM and the front desk clerk advised she could offer me a room then, even though check in wasn't til 3pm, or we could wait to get the king sized bed we had requested. We decided to wait.

At 1030AM she called and had given us a king size bed with a beautiful view of the seaport. The bed was great. The room had nice bath products, a cool flat screen that could be turned, the ability to print from our laptop in the room to the business center down stairs, and in room bath robes(I love that).

For tourists, there isn't a lot outside the front door (dunkin donuts and 7 eleven) but it is a clean industrial/commericial area. There is a bus stop across the street and that was our link to the city. We were about a 10 min ride to downtown on this underground bus, and again we only paid $15 for the entire trip for unlimited Subway use.

Of note, our favourite restaurant of the trip, Yankee Lobster is about 2 blocks away. The twin lobster dinner with coleslaw, corn, and two lobsters was only $23 and was great. The lobster roll was pretty good, too. I definately recommend Yankee Lobster. We went to Park 9 and others, but this was our favourite.

The main drawback of this hotel is that is isn't in the heart of the tourist attracttions. If that is essential for you, then perhaps you should look elsewhere. We walked to Quincy Market once, but it took a good 20min, so we opted to take the subway day and night.

The service, amenities, cleanliness, and comfort of this hotel were great. I would easily return here. We were very happy.

• Liked — Comfort of rooms (cleanliness, bed, amenities)
  • Disliked — Distance from city center
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
West Chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

This was my first trip back to the hotel in a couple of years and I was very impressed with the improvements/renovations. The room was very clean and comfortable. The hotel lobby and lounge area were spacious and inviting. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, especially to my elderly mother who was travelling with me.
I will definitely stay here on my next trip to Boston!

• Stayed December 2008
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

I stayed at the Seaport when I couldn't get a room at a different hotel. The rooms were nice and the staff were friendly. However, I was pleasently surprised by some of the other aspects of my stay.

The first thing I noticed is that this hotel has a somewhat "green" attitude. You can recycle your newspaper and other misc stuff. I appreciated this because most hotels tend to be very wasteful.

The hotel also discourages tipping. This is a little strange and I left a tip for housekeeping anyway, but I would guess that they must do a reasonable job of compensating their staff.

OK, all the other stuff is nice, but the best thing about this hotel is the health club. It has free weights, cardio machines, weight machines, spin classes and a lap pool. The health club is not huge, but it is fantastic by hotel/resort standards. All this was included in the price. No better way to burn off some stress and some of the calories from work-related travel!

If I had to give an overall summary, I would say that people who are really interested in "luxury" might find this hotel only adequate. I really appreciated some of the characteristics that make this hotel different.

• Liked — Health Club
  • Disliked — Toilets were a little noisy
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bangor, Maine - USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

Great Stay! Upgraded! Wow! First time I've ever been upgraded in any hotel ever. It was Thanksgiving and were not that busy but whatever. Went from a regular room to a small suite with two rooms and Ocean view. Kids liked watching the big ships go by. Two Tv's and no Sponge Bob for adults. Great stay, easy access to the rest of Boston. Don't listen to the people complaining about parking costs - it's Boston and it's like that everywhere. I've stayed in alot of hotels in Boston and this is one of the nicer ones. Thanks - Seaport !

• Liked — Upgraded!
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SeaportGM, Vice President, General Manager at Seaport Boston Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2008
Thank you for your enthusiastic support of Seaport! I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We truly enjoy welcoming families here - especially during the holidays, which we think are a fun and festive time to visit Boston.
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

Stayed over one night for a wedding. The accomodations were lovely, but I was shocked to discover that they charged us thirty-nine dollars for parking in the hotel's garage. I've stayed at many a hotel in many a large city and have never been charged close to that amount for parking in the hotel's garage Attempting to gouge its customers rates it two stars in my book.

• Liked — rooms were nice
  • Disliked — parking fees
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SeaportGM, Vice President, General Manager at Seaport Boston Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2008
Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Seaport! It is expensive to park in Boston. The Conservation Law Foundation plays a significant role in setting parking rates and approving permits for the construction of parking facilities here. By controlling accessibility they hope to discourage the use of private vehicles and emphasize public transportation as part of their clean air initiative. We are required by the CLW and the terms of our lease to charge competitive rates. We monitor our competition and price just below their thresholds. Fortunately, there is some choice at Seaport where ample inexpensive and convenient surface parking is still available in the neighborhood. Thank you again and I do hope you'll consider us if your travels bring you back to Boston.
Midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

The potential of Seaport Hotel is great, but unrealized. First, it is unlikely you will part anywhere near the correct place if you self-park -- very confusing. Front desk staff is friendly enough. Rooms were adequate and fairly new. Not much in the area within walking distance besides Convention Center and other hotels. Oddly designed in that the gym/pool are located on the same floor as the convention space. We didn't comfortable in our athletic/swim attire with a Marketing Sherpa show in front of us. Could have been worse, absolutely. But I guess we just expected more.

• Stayed October 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2008

I have stayed there for a business summit, which was held in its "World Trade Center". I can comment only the frontdesk of the hotel, catering of the trade center and the rooms, and I can say that everything was perfect. The staff is friendly and helpful, the food in the trade center was delicious, and the rooms are very comfortable and clean.

The only unexpected and unpleasant thing for me were the additional taxes on the room's price, but I guess it was my fault for not checking all the additional costs, before my arrival.

Location is OK, although it is a little bit aside from the downtown area, but if you are a business traveller, it shouldn't be an issue. There is a very convenient trolley-bus service, right next to the hotel, which can take you to the airport.

I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — Additional taxes to the price
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Seaport Boston Hotel? Share your experiences!