“Hilton Boston Downtown” 1 of 5 stars

Breakfast & Wi-Fi
Ranked #57 of 77 Hotels in Boston
“Hilton Boston Downtown”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

The Hilton Boston Downtown i booked for the reason that i thought it had the same good standard and breakfast and all other services i know Hilton is world wide known for...but unfort. This hotel is nothing like a normal hilton hotel so please be aware.

The most frustrating and disappointing experience was the breakfast, or please let me re-frase that to the lack of breakfast and service in there.

I mean this is really something else in this place, totally disastrous.

When this was pointed out to the manager he just ignored it, not even a apology.

I never been in this hotel before and i will never ever go back or recommend anyone to go and stay in this hotel as there are so much better hotels in Boston in good locations, two examples are the Marriott hotel and the Langham hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Brian_D_Martens, Manager at Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Helibirds,

We're very sorry and concerned to hear that you did not have a good experience with your breakfast. Our business partner, Nix's Mate Restaurant, strives to meet Hilton standards, and we will follow up with them about your experience. We have sent a direct message to you in hopes that we may discuss this in more detail. We hope that you enjoyed our hotel accommodations and that the rest of your stay was more than satisfactory. We look forward to continuing our discussion.

Best regards,

bmartens@hiltonbostondowntown.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Lexington, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Stayed at the Hilton during a big snow event January 21st. Was very pleased when I entered the room to find it was a large corner king room. Had a large room with a chair and a large bathroom. The room was very clean and everything was in working order.

Located near shopping and several nice restaurants. Had dessert and breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Was good, but expensive. Quick walk to Quincy Market as well.

Staff was very nice and the doormen were so helpful.

Really enjoyed this hotel and I am very picky! Kept checking the rate and actually got the room for a great price so really felt like I lucked out.

Would book again, but would recommend you go elsewhere for better food at a better value.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner king!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

My mother and I stayed at this hotel from January 8th-13th. The doormen (both morning and evening were kind and very welcoming). We had an issue with our fridge (my mother is a diabetic), but maintenance arrived after a late return that evening. The room was a decent size, and is easily accessible to so many wonderful eateries and bars. Get out and explore. Faneuil Hall is a must. We walked to TD Garden daily. This was less than a mile away, and went sight seeing.
However, my sincerest praise goes to the front desk manager, Matthew Harrison. After an initial problem with personal items being thrown out, and not getting anywhere, he contacted me personally. He wrote down the items that were lost and went shopping to replace them. To have someone consider their customers as a top priority is something that I will never forget. I have written to the Hilton company in support of this man and I sincerely hope he understands how much we appreciate his hospitality.
A co worker of mine is taking her daughter to Boston to visit colleges and based on my experiences, she has booked with this hotel.
Thank you, we appreciate everything you have done for us.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Brian_D_Martens, Manager at Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our Front Office Manager, Matthew. We're extremely proud to have Matthew on our team. We're sorry that we created a concern in the first place, but delighted to hear that Matthew was able to "make it right" for you. Thanks again for staying with us and for recommending us to your colleague. We are excited that we can be part of their college search. We hope we will also see you back in Boston soon as well. Sincerely,
Tampa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Hotel comfortable and great location. Good beds. Staff helpful. Many restaurants nearby to eat. Hotel restaurant very casual, expensive and not a good variety, in my opinion. Room Service quite pricey.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed here for the 2014 US Figure Skating Championships as it was one of the official skating hotels. I lived in Boston for 4 years from 2007-2011 so I'm very familiar with Boston. That being said, although this hotel was less than a mile from the Garden, and very close to some T stops, I didn't realize how dead the area gets at night. It's a little sketchy after business hours (starting at 6pm), especially once it's gets dark and you get within .3 miles or so of the hotel. That's to be expected of the financial district, but still. The location, overall, is great in that it's close to multiple T stops. The hotel itself is very clean and the room was massive. I stayed for 5 nights, 3 by myself, 2 with some friends. I was impressed with the hotel.

However, I do have a few negative things to mention:
1. The doormen were ridiculous. I arrive and I'm trying to pay my cab (who took me the longest way ever from the airport to the hotel) and the doorman is taking my suitcase out of the cab. I get that maybe he's trying to be helpful, but I'll tell you if I want you to touch my things. I don't want you to touch my things and I don't want to have to tip you because you moved my suitcase 10 feet. Fast forward to when I'm leaving, I ordered an uber to take me to the airport so I was waiting outside for the uber and then trying to find the uber based on the license plate on my phone, and every doorman was trying to talk to me and help me and get me a cab. It was ridiculous. I know it's their job and that they want tips, but if I need help, again, I will ask. Leave me alone.
2. At check out, I wanted to do the express check out where you just call on your phone to check out. None of my phones in my room were working so I had to go down to the front desk to check out.
3. When I arrived to check in (and it was obvious I had just arrived with a suitcase and needed to check in), no one pointed me in the direction of the check-in desk, which isn't exactly in an obvious location since it's in the back of the hotel instead of the front of the hotel on Broad St.

Besides all of that, the hotel was very big and clean. The maids provided free water bottles everyday as well.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us for the 2014 Figure Skating Championships. We were proud to be an official hotel for the event. We’re delighted you found your room clean and comfortable and the location convenient to all your activities in Boston. We sincerely appreciate the honest feedback regarding our service. We always want to welcome new guests with guidance to the front desk, and we regret you didn’t receive this. Likewise, we apologize that our team seemed obtrusive at those times you did not desire assistance. We do hope to see you back in 2016 for the World Figure Skating Championships.

Aliso Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

My husband and I spent New Year's Eve in Boston. We were able to easily walk to the Faneuil Hall and the North End. The hotel was really central for our visit. We had a view of the harbor from our room and we could even see the New Year's Eve fireworks! Bonus! Beautiful room with a comfy bed. Friendly and professional staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for ringing in the New Year with us. We’re delighted you enjoyed your stay. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Boston!
Cecil, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I was here a week. That gave me lots of time to evaluate the property. To a man, or woman, the staff here was just great. They answered questions, gave advice, solved problems with my stay, and even had a doorman who helped me in with my bags.
The tale of the room was another matter. While the public areas were appealing, the following was the conditions in my room: wall paper that was beginning to peel, a toilet with a defective flap valve that made the tank keep noisily refilling, a lamp that did not work, a slippery bath tub not equipped with a rubber mat, and a leaky sink faucet.
When I first got to take a shower, I thought the absence of a tub mat meant that I would not slide around on the surface. I guess the friction strips on the tub bottom had worn thin since I went down with my first shower. I told the front desk what had happened and then they sent me a tub mat. Thank goodness I had skated in my younger years and was thus in Boston for a skating event.
Not my favorite hotel since I have found my recent stays at Hilton's Garden Inn and Doubletree did not show these defects.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a high number after the floor designation. I was stuck for a week looking out th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Brian_D_Martens, Manager at Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your long stay and providing your candid feedback. We sincerely appreciate the kind words regarding the wonderful service you received from our team. We sincerely apologize for the deficiencies you found in the condition of your room. Prior to your stay, we did just refresh all our rooms with new carpeting, new in room safes and new chrome fixtures in the bathroom. We are very sorry that we let you down in missing the areas you mentioned. More importantly, the safety and security of our guests is our top concern. We have sent you a direct message in the hopes that we can follow up with you as well as identify your reservation so we can be sure to review your specific room.
bmartens@hiltonbostondowntown.com

Been to Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall? Share your experiences!