“Survey” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 77 Hotels in Boston
A TripAdvisor Member
“Survey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Parking and internet seems to be a matter of concerns in busy cities like Boston. In my opinion these should be included in the room charges so the guests can stay worry free and without extra charges.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Most aspects of the hotel were OK. However, we had to leave the hotel early (7 am) to catch a plane and tried to get an early breakfast (6 am to 615 am). We were unable to do so as the earliest breakfast was at 7 am, but with a strech to 6 45 am. The documents about the hotel in the room were totally inconsistent about what time a breakfast could be obtained. At various points, it said 6 am 6 30 am and 7 pm. In talking to reception, they indicated that the area serving breakfast was contracted out and thus Hilton had no control over serving times. For a Hilton hotel and their brand, I feel it not acceptable not to be able get a breakfast at 6 am and to blame it on others even worse. They could not explain the discepancies in the room documents either. A weak cop-out by reception with no real desire to pass the comments on or at least to get the correct information in the room documents. Also, for Hilton to set a contract with an external supplier to not have early breakfasts is weak.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian_D_Martens, Manager at Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write about it. I'm terribly sorry for your experience with breakfast on the last day of your stay. it is true that we do work with a strategic partner on food and beverage offerings, Nevertheless, I absolutely agree that it is our responsibility to ensure that our guests receive accurate information and have appealing options available. I assure you that we are urgently addressing this. We do hope we will see you back on your next trip to Boston.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Near bars and few short blocks to T and shops. No free in-room wifi but my lower floor room picked up Conference free wifi which is available in lobby (ask for password). Lovely room, comfortable bed and good service. Bar/rest prices high, as usual in good hotels.

Downey, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Your employees were excellent: Barry Buchanan, Ali and Chris (Doorman). Thank these men for us. Our room was clean, quiet, and the maid service was wonderful. Elevators were quick and efficient. Perfect location for Boston-tourists.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to recogize some of our great team members. It will be our pleasure to share your comments with our doormen Barry and Chris and bellman Ali. I'm glad these gentlemen and our hotel were able to enhance your time in Boston. We hope to see you again soon.
Boston, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

The carpet was spotted and groungy looking. The furnishings appeared worn. The smell was less than "clean." The bathroom wall tile was cracked around the tub/shower. Discoloration seemed to be occuring in between the shower tile, as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us. We appreciate your honest input and apologize you were disappointed in the comfort and appointment of your guestroom. While your room should always be clean and well maintained, we are in the middle of major project to change the carpeting and add other improvements to all our guestrooms. We will use your comments to guide us as revisit all our rooms prior to year end. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to quality hospitality.
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

First up, I'm going to caveat this review. I travel A LOT for work, mostly to the Middle East where the hotel rooms are all new and absolutely huge. This has totally warped my views of hotels, but there you go! Also, on this occasion I booked my hotel room on air miles. This pretty much always means you get one of the smaller/less good rooms. I was free, so I can't complain too much, but it does mean I can't vouch for the kind of room I might have got if I'd booked through my corporate travel agent!

OK. On to the real stuff.

I had a room with one king bed, and it wasn't big at all - I was glad it was just me! I suspect the twin rooms are much bigger, just to fit the beds in if nothing else. The wardrobe door was rather shabby, and had holes in where it'd been opened into the security lock of the door to the room. Not particularly what I'd expect from a Hilton - I'd normally expect them to be more on top of the maintenance. But otherwise the room was in good condition, the air con worked (and even showed C as well as F - BRILLIANT for those of us of the metric persuasion), and the bathroom was nice and clean with enough amenities (although shower gel would have been nice - I'm not really a soap girl for some reason). My room was in one of the indentations you can see on the front of the hotel, so it didn't get a lot of daylight. But really I was only using it to sleep in, so that wasn't particularly an issue.

The only staff I really interacted with was the doorman who sorts out taxis, and he was great. Managed to find me a big cab at 8am on a Saturday and knew exactly where I wanted to go from my flaky description!

The big selling point of this hotel for me was the location - close to the blue line for easy access to the airport (2 stops from Aquarium), close to lots of other T lines, close to Quincy Market for lots of food options in a solo traveller-friendly environment, close to the Freedom Trail for sightseeing. It's also a nice quiet area as it's predominantly businesses which makes things nice and relaxed in the evening and at weekends.

I'd stay again just for the location, but would definitely book a twin room to get the room size.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm delighted that your room was comfortable and our doorman was able to expertly get you to your destination in the city. Thank you for the honest feedback on the room condition. We sincerley appreciate the reminder to be more vigilant correcting issues caused when furnishings in the room collide. We look forward to your next trip to Boston.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed here for three nights just this past week and got off to a rough start but doorman made up for it. First off, front desk clerk was clueless and not professional. I called the night before to ask for an early check in as my flight landed at 11AM. I was told they would see what they could do but it wasn't guaranteed. When I arrived I was told that an oversized room (which I had reserved) wasn't ready but I could downgrade to be put into a room immediately. This is the first time I have ever, ever been asked if I wanted to downgrade - I mean really, I'm going to pay more for a lesser room?!?!?! C'mon! So I told the clerk I would wait but I left my number to have her call me when a room was ready. I never got a call and when I went back to the hotel after lunch my room was ready - she just forgot to call me.

Anyway, the hotel is in a great location, the room was nicely appointed, great towels and pillows, nice big TV, really comfortable bed, nice amenities. However, it's loud. You can hear all the street traffic and I was on the 11th floor. Sirens, trucks, dumpsters being emptied, everything. If you are a light sleeper you're not going to get a good nights sleep here at all. Also, the "high speed" wireless internet was anything but. Don't expect great wireless - if you have to get any sort of work done that requires a dependable connection you'll be sitting at the desk using the wired connection.

Finally the last issue is it takes FOREVER to get a car out of valet. it tells you right on the ticket allow for at least 30 minutes but quite honestly it was closer to 40 minutes.

On the bright side, the doorman (wish I could remember his name) was the bright spot of the stay. Super informative, polite, funny, just a great guy all around.

Room Tip: According to the doorman choose a room that faces Broad street
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to comment on your stay. Thank you for the wonderful comment on our doorman - we will be sure to share this with the entire team. I appreciate the honest feedback regarding the service and amenities. I'm very sorry for your experience at the front desk, and we will review with our team how we clearly missed an opportunity to get your stay off to a better start. I am surprised to hear noise was such a concern on the 11th floor - I do wonder if we we had a problem with the window seals in your room and we will check that right away. We also did significantly upgrade our wireless Internet just days after your stay. We more than doubled the number of access points serving our guest rooms (and they are a newer generation) and increased our bandwidth tenfold. I'm sorry we didn't have that in place during your stay, but hope we will get the chance to share it with on your next trip to Boston.
bmartens@hiltonbostondowntown.com

Been to Hilton Boston Downtown / Faneuil Hall? Share your experiences!