“Good for business, so so for tourists” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #72 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Los Angeles, California
“Good for business, so so for tourists”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

If you are in town for business in the downtown/financial district and need a more budget-conscious option, this is a great choice. It's just outside of downtown, in the theater district and a short walk to the red, green or orange lines of the MBTA as well as a quick walk to most any location downtown. The rooms have gorgeous furniture, a nice large desk and free internet. The fitness room is decent and you can run in the Commons/Public Garden nearby. The front desk was also very accommodating, getting me into my room when I arrived from a red eye, 4 hours ahead of check-in.

For tourists, there's certainly a lot to recommend it - again, close to the T and the theaters, as well as a short walk to Newbury St/Copley Sq. And because of the theater crowd, plenty of generic, mid-priced (PF Changs, Rock Bottom) food options just out the door. However, there are a few reasons to stay elsewhere if you are primarily in town for leisure.

First, the rooms are SMALL. Totally adequate for a single, a bit cozy for a couple, can't imagine cramming any kids in there.
Second, it's LOUD. On Thu, Friday and Saturday a large crowd of folks will be at Caprice/The Roxy on the lower level of the hotel. The people waiting outside in line are noisy, and I could hear the DJ as if he were in the room next door (I was on the 7th floor).

But, overall, I had a very positive stay. I'd heartily recommend it for business and I'd still recommend it for tourists, just with those caveats.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

The Boston Marriott Tremont was a comfortable hotel. Not a large room, but perfectly fine and about what I'd expect when staying in a big city. Location is in the middle of the theater district and mere blocks from Chinatown and Boston Common. The city center and harbor is walkable but the subway is less than a block away. Exercise room was good - several treadmills and steppers, a semi-recumbent bike (bring headphones for TV hookups) and lots of free weights. Also has free wi-fi. My only issue with this hotel was that you needed a key to use the elevator and on Friday night I discovered why - on Friday night you need a key to get into the hotel, too. See, there's a nightclub on the first floor and clearly it's a traffic problem for them. Although I was on the 8th floor, I could hear the nightclub's thumping bass at midnight. I'm a heavy sleeper, but others might not be so lucky. Also, I noted huge lines at check-in when tour buses arrived. The lobby was literally filled for a full hour one afternoon. Overall, I do recommend this place, particularly for business or theater travelers.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2009

The location was great (2 blocks from Boston Common), the lobby was charming and the front desk staff were friendly at times but the positives end there. From check-in to check-out this was the worst Marriott experience I have ever had. I've stayed in hotels in nearly every major city in the US (NY, Boston, Chicago, and LA) and the rooms in this hotel were still postage stamp sized by comparison. You'd need to go to Europe (or a cruise ship) to find a comparably sized room and even then rarely have I encountered a room so small anywhere in the world. Some rooms don't even have closets and I couldn't figure out how to sit in the office chair (the only place to sit besides the bed) without blocking the exit to the room. The bathroom in particular was so small that it could only fit a stand-up shower and I literally needed to straddle the toilet in order to close the door. A quick look at the floor plan revealed a handful of corner rooms (and the 15th floor) that were somewhat larger but, unless you get lucky, brace yourself for banged knees on furniture.
The "nightclub" issues that other reviewers mentioned are accurate as well. The block where the hotel is located is shared with several clubs blasting "booming" music with patrons attired in skirts so short they needed to hold them down in order to walk. Rather than a random event, seeing stumbling drunk girls dressed like prostitutes was a regular sight in front of the hotel. Beyond the noise issue, I also noticed an abundance of cheap liquor bottles (and broken glass) strewn about the area which I observed was the result of club patrons trying to "chug" down booze before entering the club and leaving what they couldn't finish for homeless people to collect when they weren't chatting with the bellmen or pan-handling in front of the hotel.
As for the staff, there were some that were professional and others that were downright rude (e.g. a bellman that stood at the front desk scowling at me with his hand out waiting for a tip). My advice would be to find another place to stay in Boston.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Fairyhobbit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in July 2009. I would definately recommend this hotel to people visiting Boston. The hotel is in the theatre district and a short walk from the park and the main shops. The hotel offers excellent broadband service, free BRILLIANT coffee in the reception area and good washing facilities. The only downside is the price of valet parking. Overall we were very pleased with the location and would stay here without doubt when back in Boston.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Malden, NL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

When searching for a hotel for 4 nights in downtown Boston I quickly found out that hotels are extremely expensive there. So I choose this hotel mainly based on the name of Marriott and on the price, which was very reasonable (USD 109.00) as compared to other hotels in the area.

The lobby is big but does not have a very cozy atmosphere . The front desk staff was friendly and efficient. I asked for a room on a high floor to avoid street noise and I had not any problem at all with outside noise. The rooms are small, and I mean really small. There is a good desk to work, free internet, comfortable bed, flat screen TV, small bath room.

This hotel is OK if you are just looking for a good place to sleep and if you don’t care about the small size of the room. The area was fine, I felt completely safe. There are many restaurants in the neighborhood (Chinatown).

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
South Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

My girlfriend and I went with another couple to see a Red Sox game, and the other couple booked this hotel, which I was greatful for since it was one less thing I had to do. I've stayed at many Marriotts, so I'm comfortable with the chain.

First of all we immediately found out that valet parking, which is really the only option, is $32+ per day, and a day is considered 3 or more hours. What a rip off.

Upon entering the hotel, there is nice lobby with the hotel's eating area off to the right. We got checked in quickly and went up to our rooms. The rooms were next to each other, and were both standard rooms, however they were different. We had an armoire for a closet, and our friends had a bigger closet built as part of the room. We had a flat screen tv with very poor reception, and their tv didn't even work, ironically one of the friends we were with works for a cable company. They had a small refridgerator and we didn't. Plus, the rooms were small. If you've ever been on a cruise ship, these rooms might be a little bigger but not much, the bathrooms are a little bigger but not the bedrooms.

While in the bathroom I was noticing that the grout between the tiles was much darker where people walked, and was very light behind the door. Overall the room seemed relatively clean. The shower was a stand-up stall, no bath tub, and was minimalistic, nothing fancy. Just make sure the curtain stays inside the stall, we almost flooded our bathroom because it flopped on the outside of the stall's base. Water pressure was ok, I've had worse, but it isn't strong.

Upon returning from the game around 11:15pm we walked by a dance club directly next door to the hotel, which we didn't notice when arriving. The music was blaring and could be heard and felt very easily in the lobby of the hotel. Upon getting to our room on the 8th floor we could still hear the bass beats of the club music pretty easily. When booking a room here make sure to get as far away from the club as possible! Also, if you want a view ask for it, I opened our shades and was looking at other hotel rooms.

I wouldn't rate this as a terrible experience, but I wouldn't stay at this location again. The price was decent for a Marriott in the middle of Boston, but there were too many shortcomings. There's also no pool; we wouldn't have had time to use it, but if we had had extra tiime, I would have been disappointed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2009

Stayed here at the beginning of a two week tour for two nights and again for one night at the end. As I say, it's a typical Marriott - clean, with small rooms. The location was good - not great, but value for money. Great base for getting around, but you wouldn't want to hang about the room or the hotel for much time - not that there is anything wrong with it, but it's no more than a small room in a nice hotel. Some reviews say this hotel is in a dogey area - i disagree, it's just not bang in the centre, if it was it would cost twice as much, we felt perfectly comfortable in that district. It did the job for us - well priced and centrally located, with clean rooms - I would stay again if we were looking for a base to get about from. It's a bit tired in places - and avoid the piano bar!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard Boston Downtown? Share your experiences!