“Comfy hotel with history in good location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #72 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Seaford, United Kingdom
“Comfy hotel with history in good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

What a pleasant surprise after the horror of Long Wharf to come in a gracious building (it used to be an Elks lodge) and get a good welcome with a spacious room on the top floor. Fantastic views of the city. They have a key card for the front door and the lift so we felt secure and the doorman was always around. Managed to get some healthy choices at breakfast which is always a plus in USA and they have a little Food market selling salads, rolls and microwavable meals. Free wifi is a big plus too and tea and coffee in the foyer.

Lots of restaurants all round as this is theatre district and Boston Common just up the street with 2 subway stops. Watch out for the pair of hawks resting on top of the baseball pitch floodlights on the Common!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Shreveport, LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

My husband and I and his whole extended family stayed here for his sister's graduation from Emerson College. Apart from it being right across the street from Emerson, our experience was AWEFUL. The hotel is situated between TWO night clubs! Unless your room is a suite located on the 12th floor, you can hear the BOOM BOOM rhythm of music from about 10:30PM to EXACTLY 3 AM every night (better on Sunday). People are lined up outside the clubs smoking and blocking/confusing the entrance to the hotel. The music gets so loud, it literally sounds like it is in the next room. . .

Speaking of your neighbor, you will be able to hear EVERYTHING because the walls are so thin! The rooms are EXTREMELY small, the beds are NOT COMFORTABLE (very hard), and the bathrooms even smaller! (Can barely fit two people in at once) The shower is only a shower stall. We were given a room that the AC was broken and it got very hot in our room- we later switched to a higher floor with AC that worked. It is also about a 20min cab ride anywhere you go- but can walk to China Town.

Long story short- this hotel is NOT worth the price, and unless you plan on "Clubbing" for the entire night, you won't be able to get any sleep.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
toms river
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Tremont for my daughters graduation. The hotel was clean... that is the positive. The rooms are very small and basic. There is a very small bathroom, with a small stall shower with a plan beige plastic shower curtain. The price was a little over $200.00 per night. I think I could have found a nicer hotel for that price. Possibly one which included parking, that was $60.00 extra for the two nights. I could have put that money toward a better hotel and had free parking. Some of the hotels do offer parking. Street parking is NOT an option in Boston. Will not return.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
S Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

Having read the previous reviews I wonder if we stayed at the same hotel. I stayed one night in late April at the outstanding rate of $109 + tax - which for Boston is superb. Its was just the standard rate off the Marriott website.

The hotel is in an excellent location and I was surprised to see one reviewer declare the area as 'unsafe'. I really have to disagree.

The hotel itself is obviously an older building and that, by definition, limits some stuff. I got a huge corner room on one of the upper floors (presumably because I am a Marriott Silver Member) which was excellent. The internet (free wired) worked perfectly and, certainly for me, was not dial-up speed but was fine. The bathroom and other facilities were all of a Courtyard standard.

There is a small gym with reasonable kit all of which was working when I was there.

Despite the fact that there are breakfast outlets a couple of hundred yards down the road I eat in the hotel as I wasn't sure if I'd get any lunch. I had an omelet and juice, coffee, etc and it was fine as well. Slightly pricey at $15 (incl taxes) but its not like the price isn't advertised.

Staff were fine. The only thing I would comment upon is that the elevators were looking somewhat old and jaded.

So, in summary, there was nothing which would make me recommend this hotel unreservedly. On the other hand there was nothing which would make me not recommend the hotel. A solid 3 stars.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

I was very surprised to walk into the lobby, which should be quiet, to find a wedding party going on. I could barely hear the front desk clerks. Parking was $40 by valet. Once we got to our room, it was very tiny even though we'd been given a corner room. The bathroom was so small that it had a pocket door and a stand up shower stall. It is pretty typical in size of the older hotels in the city, but it wasn't in great shape. The carpets were worn and the beds were jiggly and old. The cable TV channel selections were very limited and they only had wired internet access. Our toilet backed up on the first flush, but they came quickly to fix it.

The staff was very friendly and breakfast was great, though I though overpriced. There is no restaurant, but they had some great suggestions of places that delivered, so that was nice, but with nothing but a desk and two beds in the room, we had no place to eat except on the bed. There is no pool, and I don't know if they had a fitness center.

I wish we had stayed at the Courtyard South Boston which I had used before. We picked this one because we were going to a Sox game and it was on the green line. I wish we'd stayed in South Boston and just dealt with changing trains at Park Street. I loved the one in South Boston.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

I stayed at the Tremont about 4-5 years ago when it was being renovated. I decided to try the hotel again for a short trip over the Easter weekend. The hotel looked better and the room was much more confortable. The hotel was also very clean.

However, based on my experience I wouldn't recommend staying in the Tremont. After being out for dinner I came back to the hotel at abour 10:00. There was really loud dance music coming into the room. I gave it half an hour and then called reception to complain - someone came up ten minutes later and said they there was a function going on in the rooms below but that it would be over by 11:00.

I thought that this was fair enough and looked forward to getting some peace and quiet at 11:00. At 11:05 the music stopped - only to be replaced by a live grunge band. Things in the room started vibrating and I could hear every word and bang on the drumb. I called reception and spoke to an extremely rude person who told me that the hotel had a long established night club and that I should have been aware that it would be noisy. I knew that there was a nightclub on the ground floor - I was on the 6th floor - and that the noise couldn't be coming from here. He denies that there was a function on the fifth floor which I knew was a lie.

The noise continued so I decided to go down to the fifth floor to see what on earth was going on. There was some big party which was going on until 2:00. I went down to reception and was now pretty tired. The reception staff were awful. They got angry that I had gone onto the fith floor to find out what was going on. They told me that the people had paid to have a function there and that I should be prepared to put up with the noise. They were completely disinterested, rude and clearly didn't care about customer service.

I really wouldn't stay at the this hotel again. It would be fine for student groups or people who don't mind their rooms vibrating with every drumb and cymbal beat!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

Hotel is in a really bad area, unsafe to walk at night. Three piles of puke within a block this morning???? Construction next door. No place nearby for breakfast or to buy wine. room was tiny, free internet ran at dialup speeds. Every night they shut off the ac, so the room was uncomfortably warm every morning. Staff seemed disinterested. This place is a pit and Marriott is ruining its brand image because this property is way below standard.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard Boston Downtown? Share your experiences!