“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 77 Hotels in Boston
London
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2008

We found this hotel to be friendly, clean and in a great location. On arrival we were given the two rooms interconnecting as we had asked for with no problem. Our rooms were huge. The view wasn't great at all - basically overlooking the building site next door. However this didn't worry us as we were there to explore the city not look out of the window. Reception staff were really helpful with good recommendations for dinner. We ate at Legal Seafood and Little Italy and would recommend both. We took a duck tour of the city which gave us a good overview as we only had one full day there. It wasn't a cheap hotel but where in the middle of a city is? All in all I would recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Large interconnecting rooms
  • Disliked — View of building site
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

We ended up staying here as unpackaged.com (bunch of cowboys) had messed up our booking for the Hilton Financial District and after reading previous reviews we were a bit wary.
At check-in we requested a room on a higher floor to avoid any problems with noise and the receptionist informed us that she had put us in a quiet room at the rear of the hotel on the 7th floor and it was just that, quiet! We were situated near the elevators and ice machine and had a connecting door in our room but yet barely heard any noise during our 2 night stay.

The room was on the small side but very clean. The bathroom was a good size and was also spotlessly clean. The bed was very comfortable. The room was equipped with a flat screen TV, tea/coffee making facilities, iron and hairdryer. We had great views from our window towards the Back Bay area and John Hancock tower. All the staff we encountered during our stay were friendly and courteous.

The location of the hotel on first glance can appear to be a bit seedy but this is because they are regenerating the area (a new W hotel is being built next door) so some of the local businesses are closed and there is a lot of construction going on. We didn't feel at all unsafe walking out of the hotel at any time of day.
The hotel is located within a short walk of Boston Common and the start of the Freedom Trail. Its also an easy walk to Charles St in Beacon Hill and Boylston in Back Bay. A 15 minute walk and you'll be at Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market.
A taxi from the airport cost us $31 including tip.

All in all, this hotel, whilst not 5 star luxury, exceeded our expectations and we would be happy to stay here again if we returned to Boston.

• Liked — Clean and in a good location.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Southeastern US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

Small room, but convenient to area attractions and MGH. Teeny-tiny shower with no tub. The bed was comfortable, though, and there were plenty of extra pillows. The room was clean, but not spotless. The lobby was beautiful, although there was plenty of loud cavorting coming from the hotel bar/restaurant after midnight on a weekday. (No, it was not St. Patrick's Day.) There were people partying on the street outside the hotel, although this was not audible from my room. There were occasional sirens that could be heard in the distance throughout the night, but I was too tired to be bothered by it. In fact, I would've enjoyed a great night's sleep, if someone had not pulled the fire alarm at 3am. I awoke to loud beeping and an automated voice message piped in through a speaker, announcing that I should stay in my room until further information was available. Luckily, it was a false alarm, but this disruption was very annoying, as I had an early meeting the next day.

My biggest problem with this hotel (aside from the price), was the lack of ability to control the temperature in the room. It seems their system is set to allow for heating or cooling during only certain months of the year. It was still March, so the thermostat could only be set to heat. Well, I was miserably hot! I had to call someone to open my window in the middle of the night. There was no screen. I was on a high floor, so I would've been terrified had I been traveling with small children.

• Liked — Convenient location.
  • Disliked — Could not control temperature in room.
  • Stayed March 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

We wanted to spend a couple of nights in Boston as part of our anniversary celebration. We have always had luck at Mariott properties and chose this hotel because it was the only Mariott available with short notice. The staff was pleasant, but our room wasn't much bigger than a closet! It was tiny. And the way they stuffed everything in there (the desk, wardrobe, bed and bed tables) made you feel like you couldn't breath. The television was in the most ridiculous place they could have put it. You'd expect it in front of the bed, but instead it was diagonal to the bed which made viewing it almost impossible leaving our necks sore. It was close and convenient to the common, but so are many other hotels. Don't chose this one!

• Disliked — tiny room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NSW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

Got a pay 4 nights get a 5th free via my travel agent so I moved my booking from the Radisson (which is the next street across) prior to me leaving Australia.

Probably should have stayed at the Radisson instead given location was almost equal. This hotel is 2 blocks from the Common, 2 blocks from Chinatown, 2 blocks from the nearest Legal Seafoods restaurant (I went to 3 different Legal Seafoods restaurants for 4 different meals when I was in Boston LOL), 2 blocks from the nearest T station (New England Medical Centre) and 15 minutes walk from Back Bay. Check in was efficient.

I got a nice far end room away from the lifts which was nice. But the room was very small, the bathroom was so small, I couldn't shut the door if I was using the toilet.

TV was a nice size LCD, bed was a huge king size - which was almost larger than the room.

The surrounding area is a bit dingy but if you can avert your mind from it, it's not a bad hotel for the price.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

First impressions are important and this hotel did not dissapoint.
I arrived in the late morning well before the appointed check in time and the staff cheerfully stored my bag.

The lobby had lots of marble in the style of the 20's and I liked it.
The staff was great. Fast checkin.

My room, though small, was just fine. Flat screen tv. Comfortable bed. Clean.

As for the dreaded night club- street noise I had read about from other reviewers...either I was too tired(slept through it) or I am used to street noises where I live..whatever...it was a non factor. I was on the 7th floor if I recall.

Got a great Priceline rate for my one night stay.

Handy location...Its a 5 minute walk from the Boston Commons subway station.

The hotel is in the theater district.
By the looks of things it appeared the city had banned street sweeping vehicles from doing their thing in the neighborhood.
A little tacky. But hey...its the theater district ...you come for show biz not a white glove inspection. Right?

In summary I liked the Boston Marriot Trenton. Its a good value in a convenient location close to a lot of things to see and stuff to do.

• Liked — comfortable bed, flat screen tv
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
tempe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

The wife and I stayed here 4th of July weekend, and had a very pleasant stay. Was a bit hesitant after reading some of the reviews, but we have nothing but good things to say after our visit. Location was perfect. 5 minute walk to the T, which easily gets you to anywhere in town. And even without the T, it was within walking distance to the major tourist attractions (Faneuil Hall, Freedom Trail, Beacon Hill, Boston Common). Many places to eat nearby including chains like Rock Bottom and Dunkin Doughnuts and more local fare like Jacob Wirth (awesome! get the blue berry beer) and Intermission Tavern. Unlike some reviews below we had no problem with noise, nor the size of the room. Granted the rooms were cozy, but if you're in Boston, how much time are you really going to spend in your room? Wife and I had three large bags, and still had plenty of room. Bed was comfy, staff was very friendly and helpful, rooms were clean. The $7.50 miller light in the piano bar downstairts was a bit stiff though (take the 2 minute walk to intermission tavern). We would stay here again without hesitation.

• Liked — The convenient Location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Courtyard Boston Downtown? Share your experiences!