“Clean rooms, but very basic.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #73 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Sydney, Australia
“Clean rooms, but very basic.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Based on the reviews I had read on here, I was nervous before checking in here, as we were booked to stay for 5 nights. I had set my expectations very low. When we arrived the lobby area was very nice. The room was basic. It was definitely in need of some renovation, as there was a lot of wear and tear around the room, and the décor is very dated. Our room was clean however, and provided the basics for our stay. The wifi was good - and we enjoyed having access to a computer and printer in the lounge area upstairs.

If you are looking for a clean, basic place to stay and can book this property at a good price then from my experience it is ok. If you are booking expecting the quality of what you usually find at the 'Marriott' name - then you will be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cathleen W, General Manager at Courtyard Boston Downtown, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Dear Melifranklin,
Thanks for your candid review on your recent stay at the Courtyard Boston Downtown. You highlighted our most important features; the great location within walking distance of the attractions, cleanliness and the free wifi. Thank you for staying and please come again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

In the process of renovations, which means that the ENTIRE lobby is blocked off. The check-in looks dingy and the hall (because the lobby is blocked) is dark and unwelcoming. The rooms are also supposed to be renovated but at this point they are still TINY, with peeling wallpaper and next to no amenities (no frig, as promised). The business center is closed and a makeshift one has been set-up, but wait until the reno is over. The location is great though.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear chungkingxpress,
Thank you for your recent review of the Courtyard Boston Downtown. The front desk, business center and restaurant have all been moved to temporary locations as the work continues to renovate and restore this 1924 classic building. We are eager to guide guests to our services. We hope you will return once the renovation is complete to see for yourself the improvements made.
Elgin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed for 4 days for a conference. The hotel in under renovation. I was originally put in a room but was changed because the TV didn't work. Request a room on a higher floor, they are larger. My original room was smaller than my bedroom at home. Front desk stafff friendly. Parking is outrageous at $43 a day. Hotel is easy walking distance from many restaurants and attractions.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear jhd1966,
Thanks for staying at the Courtyard Boston Downtown and taking the time to review the hotel. I am glad that we were able to move you to a larger room after you reported a problem with the TV. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return.
Roseville, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We booked this hotel through Hotwire for a Sunday night stay before leaving Boston. Unfortunately, there was much to be desired after our stay here.
The positives: I suppose if you are looking for a bare-bones, modern-feeling room, then you would have enjoyed this aspect. Staff were helpful for the most part. Location was just a few blocks' walk from Boston Common so we were able to walk to do some sight-seeing. Also, the price was very reasonable for Boston at this time (because of booking through Hotwire).

The negatives: Unfortunately, these outweighed the positives. The room was dusty and aged-looking. It was also incredibly small compared to any of the hotel rooms that we stayed at on this trip (or most others in the USA). Although the bedding and some of the decor looked modern, when a room has peeling wallpaper in the bathroom (rubbing on this while fumbling for the light switch in the dark was especially lovely) as well as dusty corners and walls, this gives the room a certain shabby feeling.
We had no problem falling asleep; however, the staying asleep was a problem. We quickly found out at the time of bar close that our room was located a few floors up from a very loud club. The classy patrons of this fine establishment had decided that the closing of the bar was not going to stop them from continuing on with their party right there in front of the club, complete with car stereos at full blast and full-out bar brawls right there on the sidewalk. We were seriously concerned that there were people getting hurt down there. We were about 8 floors up and could hear every single word to every single song complete with screaming, laughing, and howling of the mob of people standing around to continue their party. I have to believe that this is a nightly occurrence; however, when I called the front desk to complain/ask what was going on, whoever answered the phone acted like this was a complete and total surprise and the first they had heard of it. We did not really buy this. Fortunately, the noise died down within an and we were able to get back to sleep.
I realize that the hotel can't be responsible for all of the noise down on the sidewalk in the back of their hotel; but there is no good reason that we should have been put in that room, facing that area, on a slow, empty Sunday night in the hotel, no matter what we paid for the room. It also really bothered us that no one seemed to be too concerned that this was happening and acted as if they had never heard of this happening prior to us calling. There is no way that we are the first people to ever wake up to that.
Our advice is to stay somewhere else; pay a bit more for a little bit better area and nicer lodging. If you do decide to book here, get a room AWAY from the back of the hotel that does not face the alley so that you can avoid joining in the party at 2am. We would never stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jen L,
Thank you for reviewing the hotel after your recent visit. Thanks for mentioning our helpful staff, perfect location for sight-seeing and our reasonable prices.
I am sincerely sorry that the outside street noise from the nightclubs disturbed your sleep. Thank you for calling the front desk to monitor the noise level and ask the patrons to keep the noise down. As the hotel is undergoing a renovation many of the rooms are out of service. I am sorry that the room we reserved for you wasn’t up to our standards. I hope you will consider returning once the renovation is complete so that you can enjoy the improvements at the Courtyard Boston Downtown.
Albany, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I am currently in the midst of my stay at this property. It was selected for two reasons-I try to stay with the Marriott brand whenever possible and it is in close proximity to my conference.

I checked in yesterday and I am here until Friday. The hotel is currently undergoing a major renovation that should be completed in 2014. There are signs up that state there could be noise during daytime hours due to construction, but as I am out from 8-5 that has not been an issue for me. The lobby is currently a make shift affair with a small podium and a tiny version of their Market store. It works for what is required so that is fine. They still put out some lovely chocolate chip cookies at night and some fresh fruit in the morning along with complimentary newspapers so the renovation is not an issue.

My room is adequate at best. It is clean, and functional (as in I have a bed, working bathroom) but it is a weird room. It is a long skinny rectangle, it has windows all on one wall, so those curtains have to be closed all the time, and the room being so narrow you really have to be careful with that. If I were sharing the room with family the narrowness would be an issue.

The bathroom plumbing is loud-the toilet and sink are incredibly loud when flushing/draining.

The room is also right next to the service elevator. I know somebody has to have that room but it confounds me as to why a person staying for a week gets stuck with that room? I can hear it being used during the night. It isn't a deal breaker but I think this particular room should be for short stays only.

The real deal breaker for me though is the internet service. Yes, it is included in the room fee (no extra charge) but the quality is terrible. I have had to call the front desk more than once, the service goes in and out. In this age of technology it is not acceptable to have poor quality internet access. And being told to continually reboot my computer is completely unfeasible for people trying to do work or anything else, yet that is what I am being told. I can't even get my iPad to connect.

Perhaps some of these issues will be addressed during rennovation but I can't recommend this property at this time. It is the lowest quality Courtyard I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Cathleen W, General Manager at Courtyard Boston Downtown, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear Sdansky,
Thank you for your timely post and for your observations about the staff service and accommodations during construction including the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and fresh fruit. High quality internet access is very important to all of our guests. I am sincerely sorry to hear that you experienced poor connectivity in your room. We will contact our internet provider and check the signal at the end of the hallways to see if it can be boosted. As a guest staying for a long period we want you to be comfortable and productive.
Hartford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had a wonderful experience at this property. We named our own price and got a fantastic deal for this hotel. We got the exact type of room that we had hoped for. Our room was on the 8th floor in a corner and it was fantastic. The valet parking, although pricey (not out of the ordinary for Boston) was a breeze, the rooms were perfect, the front desk was courteous and quick. The location of this hotel is very convenient to many theaters, Boston Common and I-90. We usually don't like to drive into Boston but this hotel was extremely easy to get to. We will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear OswegoMatt,
I am delighted that you had a wonderful experience at the Courtyard Boston Downtown. You wrote about some of our best features; our super convenient location, our courteous and friendly staff and clean rooms, all at a great value. We welcome your return visit.
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I only stayed one night and I'm glad that I hadn't planned more. The room was just okay, VERY small and is in need of redecorating. There was a large desk/TV stand in the room that left little room to walk past. It"s necessary to walk past the desk to get to the bed area from the bathroom, a tricky maneuver to do without bumping into the corner of the desk when getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. The picture I posted shows a small carry on bag between the opening to show how small it is, I used my size 8 shoes to also use as a size reference, it's just ridiculous to have such a small, important passage. The decor is sparse and unimpressive, not at all like you would expect from a Marriott. Valet parking is ridiculous at $43.00 and there isn't really any where else to park so you are pretty much stuck paying their exorbitant price. Over all it's just okay for a one night stay, but I'm sad I wasted my Marriott points for this disappointment.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Makubre,
Thank you for your review. I understand that you were disappointed by the size and condition of your room. The new guest room and bathroom design makes great use of every square inch of space. The first group of these new rooms will be ready by the end of December. As a frequent traveler I understand that your Marriott Reward points are hard earned and your business is very important to me. Please contact me directly at 617 728 2110.

Been to Courtyard Boston Downtown? Share your experiences!