“convenient location, nice staff, cramped and worn rooms.” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #75 of 77 hotels in Boston
“convenient location, nice staff, cramped and worn rooms.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

lobby is nice, staff at desk super pleasant, valet superb! we stayed 2 nights 27th and 28th of May. the hotel carpets are overpoweringly carnival like, the room extremely small for 2 ppl and carry ons. a bathroom shower stall?? the bathroom fixtures were rusted, wal paper was peeling.. the bed was very uncomfortable, and the pillows were the size of postage stamps! i was awoken at 830am w intense drilling below... seriously...?? no warning from the desk when we checked in..? very disappointing stay . location is of course great, however, 43 dollars a night to park? should have slept in my car, would have been roomier. i will not be revisiting here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cathleen W, General Manager at Courtyard Boston Downtown, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear M W
Thank you for reviewing our hotel during your recent family visit. We greatly appreciate your positive rating on the lobby, super pleasant staff and superb valet service.
I am sorry that you were disturbed by the construction noise. We are refurbishing all guest rooms and bathrooms which when complete won't increase the size of the room but will greatly enhance the guest experience by an improved layout to dramatically improve functionality of the room.

700 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is in a great location - close to most things downtown. The rooms are tiny - maybe 100 sq ft plus a shower-only bathroom. The TV is next to useless - interference and signal loss made it unusable for me; it's Satellite and I was here in the middle of the storm, but still.... The staff are pleasant enough and there is the usual Courtyard conveniences of breakfast (not tried yet) and a small shop for basic purchases. It is a beautiful building but age comes with limitations. Many other courtyards have been "refreshed" recently - not this one. Functional and OK but would probably look elsewhere for my next stay in downtown Boston.

Dear wiltshs,
I appreciate your review, thanks for highlighting our great location in the center of downtown and our friendly staff, two of our best characteristics! While our rooms are on the small side, they are being refurbished to maximize every square inch of space. Please come stay again and experience our new look and feel.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on Friday May 17th for one night. After reading all the horrible reviews on this website I was nearly ready to give up my non-refundable room won on Priceline and just go book somewhere else. Well, I am glad I sucked it up and stayed here.

First of all, the hotel is large and beautiful. It is a hotel with character!

Yes, the room was small, there is no getting around that. But geez it was not a closet it was a room and it was nicely decorated and spotlessly clean at that. Bathroom was small yes, but again clean, with all the amenities you would need.

Location, after reading about all the noise I packed ear plugs - didn't need them. The only noise I heard was from some singer in the bar when we entered the lobby. Up in our room we heard nothing. Sirens? Maybe one or two. Typical for any city. The area was awesome, we did not go out that night since we arrived late but we were up first thing Saturday and it was beautiful stroll to Boston Common and the Cheers bar and surrounding area. Actually you could walk nearly anywhere from here.

Staff, extremely friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. Okay, one employee I could have done without her open-mouthed gum chewing buy hey she was young and her enthusiasm and helpfulness made up for that one complaint.

I don't know what people are expecting with this hotel - okay maybe if you are with someone you don't want to be that close to and you are there for a long time you might start to feel claustrophobic but for our one night this room was awesome and I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Don't let the negative people get you down. You'll be fine staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Allison M,
Thank you for the great review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent visit. I agree with you, our historic hotel is beautiful and full of character! Our extremely friendly staff looks forward to welcoming you back the next time you travel to downtown Boston.
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just returned last night from a wonderful trip to Boston. Want to give a shout out and thank the staff of the Courtyard Marriott for attending to every detail, especially the concierge, Frank. This was a great location in the heart of the theater district with a metro stop 1/2 block away. The rooms were a little dated but was told at the desk that by Dec. all the rooms should be updated. Very good hot breakfast for a fee and fruited water all day which was appreciated. Can't say anything negative at all and would stay again. This was my second visit at this hotel.

Room Tip: Stayed on 9th floor away from elevator and was very quiet. Only heard a few sirens in the night so...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Darla T,
I am happy to read about your wonderful trip to Boston. I understand that you have stayed with us before and I sincerely thank you for your repeat business. Thank you for recognizing Frank, our concierge attendant. He is special and I will be certain to recognize him for his customer care and service.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

If the service was not good this hotel would def get a two star, we stayed the weekend Fri - Mon. When we got there the room was very small and there was no refrigerator in the room. We asked the front desk and someone was there with one within minutes which we appreciated. There was a graduation that Saturday and it was not organized, they had ALL the kids standing in the lobby and they would not get out of anyone's way. Well what about your other guests? Also, they need to change the whole decor, ugly carpets and it makes the inside look so dark. Pluses, free wifi, the bathroom was very clean and the food was okay. Wouldn't stay again but if you're on a budget and don't mind the simple things then you can stay here.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cathleen W, General Manager at Courtyard Boston Downtown, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thanks for staying with us and your posting. The Emerson College graduation event did spill over into the lobby and I apologize that you were inconvenienced.

We are in the midst of a full guestroom, bathroom and lobby and restaurant renovation. By the end of 2013 when you visit we will look and feel completely different. I look forward to welcoming you back.
Clemson, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The room is pretty small here. While considering the location is in the expensive downtown area, I can say that a small room is a kind of ok, which I wouldn't complain. However, the non professional front desk staff and poor facilities here make me feel really bad. Firstly, I tried to ask a guy in the front desk whether I can check out a little later than 12 PM. Obviously, I would accept if the answer is "no" since that is the rule of the hotel. Surprisingly, he told me "yes, in the next morning". I would say such a answer is not fun nor professional at all. If a friend answers like that,I would laugh. But as a front desk service man, I did not think I get the professional respect here. That is really a unhappy conversation.
Moreover, the shower water is so tiny that make me feel I cannot have a clean bath. This should really be improved

Dear Kang88,
Thank you for pointing out where we can improve. I am sorry that our joke backfired. I understand how you felt. At Marriott we pride ourselves on our friendly staff and professionalism. The new bathrooms will include a luxurious shower experience. Please come again and give us another chance.
Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed three night at this hotel. Checkin was quick, room ready before actual check in time. Friendly but not offering of any assistance in area as others were with their customers. Room is small but very clean and basic. I spent most of the time at the conference so it was OK. No refrigerator in room. I read previous reviews and they can't change the room size but it was clean. Agree with tv outdated and limited channels. Gym was good but if you are a runner, there is a great park several blocks away. I did not hear noise as others had. However I was on 8th floor. Had buffet breakfast once in hotel, it was very good. Otherwise if you leave hotel and turn left, you will see a Panera Bread, multiple Dunkin Donuts in vicinity and dinner at Rock Bottom Brewery was awesome. The hotel is about 10-12 blocks from Boston Marathon site with alot of sites, places to eat and shop. Each person was very friendly at this facility though.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind remarks and we hope that you’ll return to our hotel very soon.
Yes, our great location and professional staff are two of our best features. Thank you very much for mentioning them in your review.

Been to Courtyard Boston Downtown? Share your experiences!