“Old, but.....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #74 of 77 hotels in Boston
Buckeye, Arizona
“Old, but.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel twice. Both times were for business and this was the meeting location. Rooms were reserved here for this conference. I was looking forward to this trip since I had not been to Boston and I was going to be staying in a Marriott (I'm a Marriott Rewards member so needed the points). When I checked into the hotel, the lobby seemed small for a Marriott, and looked old, but nonetheless clean with a friendly front desk staff. After entering my room on my first visit, I was shocked to see how SMALL the rooms were (a small narrow path around the bed). No closet, just a narrow armoir along the wall, a desk against the window. All that said, I still found a place for my luggage, and all my belongs for a week's stay. You just have to be creative about being organized in a very small room.
After asking the staff why Marriott, known for upscale rooms cannot perhaps make the rooms larger, (and why didnt they when they acquired and renovated the building). They told me that the building was a former lodging facility for some group and the rooms were dorms and the building is an historical structure so it can only have minimal renovations (the historical society was very particular on moving walls, enlarging the rooms....or something like that). Okay, okay, whatever, BUT......
If you are going to Boston, I WOULD recommend this hotel, based on cleanliness, the very friendly staff, and the proximity to EVERYTHING. You are in walking distance of the Freedom Trail, an absolute MUST for patriotic Americans. Theaters (plays, concerts, stand-up acts, movies), shopping, dining, history, haunted tours, pub crawling, the harbor, Boston Commons, Cheers, you name it, you can walk to it all from this hotel. There are a few access points to the underground subway within a 5 minute walk from the front door. If you want to spend a lot of time in your room while in Boston (shame on you if you do) and dont want to take advantage of this awesome city, then by all means, spend the money to upgrade to a king suite, or just stay some place else.

Room Tip: Since the hotel building is U-shaped, you might get a room on the inside of the "U" that f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cathleen W, General Manager at Courtyard Boston Downtown, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear SandyM6,
Thanks for recommending the Courtyard Boston Downtown based on cleanliness, the very friendly staff, and the proximity to EVERYTHING in Boston.

690 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

What hotel that costs $300 a night still has old tv's...awful! I can get past the small rooms because it seems Boston is known for that! Staff is very friendly but come on Marriott at least update the room with modern amenities! An unhappy elite member...

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Nathan W,
Thanks for your comments on the Courtyard Boston Downtown. I hear you loud and clear. As a Marriott Elite member your feedback is very important to me. The older TVs are all being replaced as a part of the renovation and I am sorry that you experienced that older model when you stayed. Please try us again after the new year and give us another chance.
Kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed on business in April. Have stayed in other Courtyards and this does not really compare with them, especially the Marlborough facility.

I appreciate there is a premium on space in big cities and the room was quite small. The room was clean and the toiletries in the bathroom - I was pleased to see - were the same as other Courtyards. There is no free wi-fi in this hotel, which I think is something that could be offered throughout the chain. It is free in other locations and I don't see why this should be any different because of being in central Boston.

The food at breakfast was good and pretty much to the same standard, however the level of service was not as good as I have experienced - and I would expect it to be greater.

The reception service was not consistent. Some was very good and welcoming, but there seemed to be a confusion over our room rate when we checked out. A second member of staff had to step in to help with our enquiry.

There is a piano bar in the hotel which opens to the public. My room was almost above this which meant that the loud music from the disco kept me awake until late (and this was a Wednesday!) That coupled with a 1.30am alarm which seemed to be managed badly made my second night stay an unpleasant one.

The only main draw that would take me back to Marriot would be the fact this hotel is in downtown Boston, ideally located for the theatre and shopping district. Being in Boston was more handy for us this time, we usually travel straight out from our flight but thought we would take adavntage of the jet lag and this allowed us to spend more time in Boston, which I loved.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the piano bar.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear kekembee,
Thank you for taking the time to post regarding your visit to Boston. I appreciate your candid review on our service. I am sincerely sorry that the music from the nightclubs and a fire alarm disturbed your rest. We are in the heart of the city and at times noise can be a disturbance. Although the alarm disturbed your sleep it did notify us of a problem that needed attention. Thankfully it was not a dangerous emergency. We do provide complimentary WIFI in all guest rooms and lobby. I am sorry that you had difficulty accessing it. I would love the opportunity to welcome you back to the Courtyard Boston Downtown in a quieter room after our renovation is complete.
Singapore, null, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed there 5 nights from 11 to 15 Apr, for the Boston Marathon. As I had stayed in other Courtyards before, I was disappointed when I got into the room. It was really small. We didn't know how and where to open our luggage. And everything was old. For the price I paid, my first thought of the place was really, so not worth it. (As I come from Singapore, the hotel rate was really very expensive for me.) However, the place grew on me over time and I was so comfortable with the place by the end of the 5th day. The bed was comfortable. The location was quite convenient to the places I needed to go to for eg: Boston Common for my morning runs, for me to catch the bus to the marathon start point, the train stations etc. It was also within walking distance to the marathon pre-race carbo load party, and to the finish point. And there was a great breakfast and reasonable-priced place just 3 mins walk away - Panera Bread, (I ate there every single day! sometimes, 2 times a day.) The staff were friendly, helpful and genuinely nice. I looked forward to the hot drinks they serve at the hotel lobby every morning and afternoon. And on the race day, they served some light food for the benefit of runners and there was some light morning lunch later in the day. I'm not sure if the other hotels did that, but I thought that it was a very nice touch. For some things, the hotel really cant do anything about it. But for those things that they can, they do their best in them and I appreciate it. So, would I stay there again? Yes I would. Thank you - Courtyard staff!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cathleen W, General Manager at Courtyard Boston Downtown, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for staying with us over the Boston Marathon. I am glad our friendly staff made you feel welcome and comfortable. Next time when you return to Boston we will have completed a full renovation of all the guest rooms, bathrooms and lobby space. We look forward to welcoming you back next year.
Danielson, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Horrible stay.....Room was so tiny that we had to walk sideways to get by bed. When I returned to my room at midnight I was annoyed with the loud bass of music from the club below us. Mind you were were SIX floors above the club and my bed was shaking. Even with the TV on pretty loud all I could hear was the music. I called the front desk and they told me they could do nothing about it because the club is privately owned. I paid over $200 to stay here and this was the response I received. After about 15 minutes I went to the front desk to talk to a manager. The man I spoke to was RUDE RUDE RUDE and told me there was nothing he could do they wee sold out. I told him I would call the police and then the club would quiet down.....well what do you know he found me a room on the 15th floor! This room was much larger and the bathroom was also bigger, but the trouble I had to go through to receive a good nights sleep was horrible.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I understand why you were disappointed in your experience due to the night club noise. I am pleased that our staff was able to move you to a more comfortable room so that you could rest. I am sincerely sorry. Your satisfaction is very important to me. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Courtyard Boston Downtown.
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was in Boston from March 29-31 w/ some friends. We were attending a show at the Orpheum Theater down the street. 4-5 blocks away. There's several things within walking distance- The Wang Theater is across the street, the Boston Commons is 2 blocks up, there's a shopping place a block up, there's several restuarants around the area. Keep in mind that the area tends to close a little early than NYC- so it's 1 or 2 places that are open late.

The hotel is ok and the staff was friendly. Did not find anything wrong with this place. I recommend this hotel as it is centralized in the Theater District & near the Boston Commons. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear GothicblueCJ
Thank you for reviewing the Courtyard Boston Downtown after you stayed recently with friends. I appreciate the high marks about our friendly staff. We are glad that you would choose to stay here again and welcome you back.
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I went to Boston to participate in a Speech And Debate tournament, it was not my choice to stay at this hotel, but I wanted to stay with my team, and the group lead booked us at this hotel, The hotel is very close the subway station, we came all the way from the airport to the hotel ridding the subway, once I entered the lobby my first impression was good, the lobby had a old but at the same time beautiful style, kind of like a 19th century style, the front desk agents were very friendly and check in process was very quick, They gave us the keys to our room which originally I have requested a handicap room with two queen beds, since they said it was not available we requested a roll-away bed, when we got to the room it was not there, but since the bed was big and we were very tired from the flight we did not paid to much attention to it, When I was going to take shower its my understanding from every hotel I've ever been too, that the handicap restroom should have a especial shower, the chair was no where to be found so we requested to the front desk, they brought it right away, this was another plus point for the hotel staff, in the negative side, the subway station "orange line" that is next to the hotel was not fully handicap accessible so it makes it harder for guests with disabilities like me that have to go three blocks to find the next accessible station, rooms are somewhat small as well as elevators way too small, wide of the elevators was not enough for wheelchairs to entered comfortably, lack of maintenance was found in some parts of building including painting failures that when we are talking about a Marriott hotel it is not acceptable and finally as a Marriott Rewards member I have the choice to check out later, so we decided to stay a little longer, but starting at 9:00 in the morning a very rude Chinese house keeper started knocking on the door, the first time we just told her that were still there, then around 11:00 a.m she knock again and this time she was very rude, she asked my mom yelling at her "when do you guys think to leave from the hotel" my mom said 2:00, she yield a second time saying "what" and then she walked away so I think the hotel management should review the way housekeepers interact with customers as in my opinion everybody does not matter the job they perform should be able to deliver a outstanding customer service. Lastly the hotel was a little overpriced for the services they offered, we paid 169,00 a night, I have stayed at better hotels at a cheaper price, Overall a average hotel.

Room Tip: If you are travelling to Boston do not rent a car, the subway system is very nice and parking here i...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to post your candid review. I was pleased that you rated us high for great location and excellent cleanliness and understand that you were disappointed in the accessible guest room layout, and our housekeeper knocking on your door on your checkout day. I am sincerely sorry.

As a Marriott Rewards member your satisfaction is very important to me. We pride ourselves on our skilled and friendly housekeepers and I am sorry that you were disturbed. I will certainly share your experience with our team to ensure that future guests do not share a similar experience. Our guest rooms and bathrooms are currently undergoing a major renovation which will significantly improve our guest experience when completed. We look forward to welcoming you back.

I will purchase 15,000 Marriott Rewards points for your account as a good will gesture. As a Marriott Rewards Gold Elite member your business is very important to us. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Courtyard Boston Downtown and hope that you will give us an opportunity to regain your confidence once the renovation is complete.

Been to Courtyard Boston Downtown? Share your experiences!