“Good hotel choice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Charlotte
“Good hotel choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

I stayed at this hotel with in-laws for graduation week. We were thinking about not going here after some of the poor reviews, but everywhere was packed.
We were pleasantly surprised. We had no noise concerns and everything was well kept. The service was good, and very patient with my 86 year old father in law--and that's saying something!
The staff quickly calls cabs and the hotel is a half block from the subway (but you will have a flight of stairs so pack light). There is no point in having a car.
There were about four or five restaurants about a half block away, within view of the hotel. We ate at the Chinese place on the corner (excellent) and an Indian restaurant (good). There is also a California Pizza Kitchen in the same block. There are no hotel restaurants, although there is a small space open for a sit down breakfast. There is a nice little self serve area off the lobby where you can get free coffee, tea, or hot chocolate 24 hours and a small area where you can buy salads, ice cream, and other cold items.
The only down side for some people is that this is an old hotel. The HVAC is more or less centrally controlled, which means there is a chance that you won't be able to get the air/heat at a temperature to your liking. There was a sign on the thermostat that explained that there were fans and space heaters available on request. And the windows do open.
The hotel is completely smoke-free.
I guess I should also comment on the unhappy reviewer who expected "views". There aren't views per se, it's just an in-town hotel. It is next to the Wang Hospital and other buildings, nothing exceptional.
The rooms are small by suburban-motel standards, but unless you want to do aerobics in the room, you will be just fine.

• Liked — Location and convenience
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Columbus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

As others have noted, the rooms are small, but this will be an issue in any older hotel. My room was very nicely furnished and clean. If you are staying on a weekend, be sure to get a room away from the club that is located on the first floor; my room was far away from it, but I can definitely see it being a problem. My only problem with the stay was that some baggage that I checked on the last day of my stay was not stored properly and could easily have been stolen, but I guess that this was an isolated incident. If you don't mind walking, you can park for much less money on your own at the Radisson around the corner than having the valet park for you (there is no self-parking at this hotel).

Stayed August 2007
TEXAS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

This hotel is in the theater district...that is all I can say about it. It is not that convienent to anything. Boston Common was down the street but not really any good restaurants near by. When we checked in , the desk told us that we had been upgraded to the top floor because of our points with Marriott. Excited we went to our room.......well..we over looked a parking garage, no view at all.Went back to desk and told them we did not want to over look a parking garage. We were told that THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY ROOMS WITH A VIEW We were told if we wanted a view then we should have booked at another Marriott on the water or the Copely Marroitt. Well on late notice we could not fine another hotel. We had a nice room on the 15th floor but if you really want to see Boston stay at a happening place AND MORE CONVIENENT. NOT RESTAURANT ON SITE..NO ROOM SERVICE :(

• Liked — LARGE BATHROON
  • Disliked — NO VIEW, NO RESTAURANT...NOT CLOSE TO ANYTHING
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

I wish I had read the reviews before I booked our reservations here!

The down side: No dresser, small room, flat pillows and a WET CARPET! Poor service: The waitress who took my order at their morning "cafe" got both my beverage and egg orders wrong and when I complained about the wet carpet in the entryway and closet, the front desk did not call me back as promised about getting to change rooms. Also unappealing, several of the walls looked cumpled under the wall paper - mind you the wall paper wasn't crumpled just the wall was- how is that o.k.?

The worst part of the stay: sirens all night long and no end to the shouting and yelling from the nightclubs.

The up side: You're in walking distance of the Commons, several nice resturants and the trains.

We liked Boston, we just didn't like our hotel

• Liked — close to public transportation
  • Disliked — sirens, loud crouds, wet carpet, unhelpful staff
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Greystones, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2007

It's not often I'd feel inclined to write a bad review. Sometimes (like this time) I'll actually wait a while before writing a review in order to gain perspective and make sure I'm not just being totally negative without warrant.

Anyway, arrived at the hotel on the 15th, with my voucher for five nights stay ready and waiting, to be told there wasn't a room booked. My voucher said otherwise and after about 10 stressful minutes I was told they would have a room for us and there was a fault with their reservation system. No apology.

The room was small, not much room to move around the bed and there was very little storage space. The bathroom was tiny and there was no shelf on which to place toiletries, so ended up having to just leave our wash bags on the floor next to the toilet. Nice.

Like the Sheraton in Chicago (see my other review) which we'd just travelled from, the Courtyard has an overpriced bottle of water waiting to be consumed by the unsuspecting guest. However when a bill was slipped under our door for water we didn't consume (we'd been buying water from the nearby 7-11 for a lot less!), I let the manager know all about it. The water was teken off the bill, but no apology was forthcoming.

The broadband signal is virtually non-existant, so there wasn't much point in even trying to browse.

On the positive side though is the bed. Very comfortable! Even more comfortable than the beds the Sheraton chain make such a big fuss about. The room, while small was clean, however when we checked into our room, there was a shower curtain on the floor behind the toilet (presumably it had been replaced by the new one hanging on the rail).

Another goodish thing is the location. 4 mins walk to Boston Common, in the heart of the Theater District and Chinatown literally around the corner. Newbury Street is about 15 mins walk away. You could even walk to Fenway Park from here without breaking a sweat. That said, at night it can be intimidating. On the morning we checked out, there was a report on the news about a murder on the corner about 100m from the hotel!

• Liked — The bed, if I have to say something positive
  • Disliked — Almost forgot this! It's bloody noisy! Paper thin walls, rough area, hospital nearby. If you don't mind sirens all night and the sound of late night tv and conversations from the rooms next door, this is the place for you!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

The hotel is located in the Theatre district. 15 mins walk from town centre of piers.

The Hotel lobby is beautiful. It looks like an old theatre with heavy red curtains arounds.

The staff was very helpful, friendly and professional.

We got a corner room on the 9th floor. Large room, big confy beds. Clean and bright bathroom. not a city view tho.

There is a Jazz bar in the hotel with a great barman who made very good cocktails.

The place was fantastic, very relaxing, the whole experience was much better than we expected.

I love Boston and will surely come back to that hotel.

• Liked — All of it!
  • Disliked — Nothing wrong to say
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2007

Visited Boston and the Courtyard Boston Tremont Hotel for a short break. Have previously stayed at this hotel before on my last visit to Boston about 18 months ago. You might ask why stay there again following reading this review - read on and make up your own mind.

Hotel is in a great location within the Theatre District and is only a short walk to Boston Common and the shopping area on Washington Street. Newbury Street shops is probably about a 20 minute walk away. The hotel is a bit dated, but they have made attempts to try and modernise the rooms albeit utlilising a strange choice of colours.

As I was travelling with my two brothers, we requested a larger room, which was accomodated in order to get a rollaway bed in the room. We had one of the end rooms on the 6th floor which was massive. The only downside for having an end room is that it overlooked the nightclub which is down one of the side streets from the hotel. As it was a weekend, I was quite often woken in the early hours of the morning with shouting outside the club. Other than the disturbance, the hotel is still worth staying at for what was an affordable price.

The area around the hotel is a bit shabby, but since my last visit they seem to be doing some building work, which hopefully might make the area a bit more attractive.

If you do stay here, try Rock Bottom on Stuart Street for great Food and Beer, which is brewed on site. Also, you are not far from Legal Seafood which is probably one of the best seafood restaurants I've ever visited.

Overall, if you want an affordable hotel in the centre of Boston which is close to the shops and other attractions. Then stay at the Courtyard Boston Tremont Hotel - just don't expect the Ritz or Hilton!!!

• Liked — Cost and size of room!!
  • Disliked — Noise outside of the hotel at night.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Courtyard Boston Downtown? Share your experiences!