“Unbeatable location, excellent choice for Boston Marathon” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #27 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Unbeatable location, excellent choice for Boston Marathon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Over the last two years, I have stayed at the Westin Copley Place three times, most recently in February 2013. Positives: Unbeatable location, great views on higher floors. Negatives: Huge size (29 floors of guest rooms) can sometimes mean long lines, especially during big Boston events or meetings; bathroom is a bit small; lobby currently under renovation.

The Westin is located in the Back Bay area, close to the Back Bay station on the orange line, and the Copley station on the green line. It’s two blocks from Newbury Street, one of the main shopping areas of Boston, and one block from Copley Square, the finish line of the Boston Marathon. You can take the subway from the airport to the Back Bay station with only one transfer. Amtrak trains and the commuter rain also serve the Back Bay station, which makes the hotel even more convenient.

If you’re traveling to Boston for the marathon, this is an excellent choice. It’s part of the massive complex that includes the Hynes Convention Center (packet pickup), the Copley Place, and two other hotels. It’s possible to walk from one building to the next without ever stepping outdoors, which can be helpful when the weather is poor. It should be noted that although the hotel is close to the marathon finish line, race officials force runners to walk down Boylston Street away from Copley Square to around Berkeley Street, before allowing them to turn south and head back towards the Westin. After running 26.2 miles, those few blocks feel like another two miles.

Check in is usually swift and efficient. On my most recent stay, I was given a room on one of the upper “Starwood Preferred Guest” floors. The room was a typical Westin room, decorated in earth tones. I had a sweeping view of the Charles River and Cambridge, which was great. I found the bathroom to be on the small side. As soon as you open the bathroom door, you immediately see the toilet. The room has an iPod compatible alarm clock and nice lighting. The headboard has built-in lights, which allow for easy reading in bed. The desk/work area is sufficiently large, but the sitting chair near the window was rather uncomfortable. The hotel provides snacks for sale on a tray in the room. The tray has a scary note, warning guests that picking up the snacks will trigger the sensors and incur a charge.

The hotel staff are always polite and thoughtful. For example, there is always a crush of guests after the marathon, when hundreds of exhausted runners return to the hotel. The waiting area near the elevators tends to fill up quickly. When this happened, a kind hotel staffer led a group of runners to the hotel’s service elevators to alleviate the congestion. This was a welcome gesture and much appreciated.

Other reviews have pointed out that the hotel lobby is currently under renovation (as of February 2013). The normal check-in area has been moved to the bar/lounge. Guests have to walk along a slightly narrow path in the lobby area to move between the hotel and the complex, but it’s nothing major.

The Westin remains my preferred hotel in Boston.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors facing the Charles River.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston. We cannot agree with you more on the location. Central to everything you need to do in Boston. Particularly as you point out, during Marathon...we are a block from the finish line so it is an ideal spot for runners. And as you point out with all those runners coming back almost en mass it can get to be slow and that is why we have staff positioned to take folks up the service elevators in a plan to alleviate some of the lines at that time.

Thank you also for your comments on the staff and the service...we are very proud of all of our staff and your comments are very rewarding...I will be sure to share this with the staff.

Once again thank you very much. Your selection of The Westin Copley Place is very much appreciated. I realize you had many choices for hotels within the city, and I am grateful for your business.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back at least for Marathon, but sooner if that fits into your plans. You an exoerience our new obby which will be done in 10 days!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
Cape Cod, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Copley for a two night stay as part of a convention. Every member of the staff was both friendly and very professional. We loved the view from our room on the 30th floor (#3025). The bed one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. The room as part of convention rates was very reasonable for downtown Boston. Although the hotel undergoing renovations, there was no problem or disruptions with our stay.

If you are coming to Boston for a convention stay in this area . We had free transportation to the convention center, so there was no trouble getting to courses at the convention. They are still developing the waterfront around the convention center. There is limited shopping and few restaurants to choose from. If you are visiting Boston and want to take advantage of all the city happenings stay in Copley Square. You can walk to the Boston Garden, Newbury Street shops and hundreds of restaurants in every price range.

Room Tip: For a wonderful view of Boston ask for a room on the 30th floor facing southeast.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MJorgensen, Owner at The Westin Copley Place, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston. We cannot agree with you more on the location and the view. Central to everything you need to do in Boston.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again the next time you visit Boston, either for a convention of for a personal visit.
Gales Ferry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

The is a very nice hotel near Copely Square. The hotel is very convenient to shopping, restaurants, the Hynes Convention Center and the entire Back Bay area. Our stay was for business. The hotel is very comfortable with all the amenities one would expect from a high end hotel. It has a business center and fitness center. The rates are what one would expect in the Boston area. Very near the T line.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again the next time you visit Boston.
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I are loyal Westin customers. I travelled to Boston alone this time, booking the hotel 4 months in advance (thats how much I love the Westin). To my surprise, the hotel was undergoing renovations. I was surprised that the Westin had not taken the opportunity to let it's future guests know that there could be some disruption.

The room was comfortable as usual with tasteful decor and the reliable heavenly bed. All was good until I went to bed and my bathroom sink drain kept me awake all night. Every time one of the neighbouring rooms used their water, my drain would make a loud and awful sound. When I went down to the front desk and asked to change my room the next day, I was told that there was a conference at the hotel and that they were sold out.

I can recognize that my experience is unique, and that there is nothing really wrong with the hotel at all. Under normal circumstances, my stay would have been fantastic as usual. I just feel disappointed that at $350 a night, I couldn't get a good night sleep and was unable to relax in the hotel among the other conference guests.

Note to future guests: call in advance and ask questions. You will thank yourself for it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

The issue with the sink is a bit perplexing...as you can imagine in a hotel this size we have had issues with sinks from time to time, but i believe the loud soungd that seemed to be as a result of another room using theirs is a first for me. Perhaps you might contact me at michael.jorgensen@westin.com to share your room number so I can have it checked.

Quite honestly there is no good time to do a lobby renovation...so you choose what is essentially your slowest time...January and Febrauary in our case and you do the best to diminish any disruption that the renovation might cause...I am happy to sayt that we are 10 days away from completion and it will be quite beautiful.

South Portland, ME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Westin for our annual sales meeting and I have to say it was impeccable. The food was great for every meal. The beds were so comfortable you couldn't ask for more. It was five degrees outside during our stay so the fact that you the hotel was connected to the mall was so nice everyone appreciated it. I would suggest this hotel to anyone visiting Boston. I was a truly nice stay.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston, and I appreciate your positive comments.

Shirley, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We spent 2 nights for the first time at The Westin Copley Place for our 35th Anniversary! While communicating with Anna before our arrival about requests and questions (which she had answered all ) , we did not expect to get most requests filled as first time customers. Well...
Upon check in we were greeted with sincere smiles and congratulated on our 35th anniversary ( very surprised nice touch .) When we walked into the room it was a total
( surprise again ) of the magnificent upgraded room. The view of the water and city were spectacular. Room service brough in a bottle of wine and a cheese & fruit tray ( again..wowed ) and a beautiful note from Anna. The room was very clean, modern and comfortable.
Anna went so out of her way to accomodate all our requests plus more. She took care of our reservations at Turner Fisheries in the hotel. Dinner was so special as Christine the maneger had set us up at an intimate and quiet table. Complimentary champagne and the most beautiful sample plate of desserts are memorable for us ( again not expected ) Thank you Christine. Our waiter Ismal was so professional and sweet to take care of us too.
Our stay was perfect in every way and because of all the little things that were not expected we believe ( at least at The Westin Copley Place ) that Service comes first and maybe location 2nd. We know now from experience that we will get the same first class service whether its a special occasion or just a getaway!
Thank you Anna!
Sue & Rich

Room Tip: Ask for a city view if your chillin out at night in your room. Ask for a river view if having coffee...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Happy Anniversary Sue and Rich, and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston, particularly for such a special occasion

Thank you also for your comments on the staff and the service...we are very proud of all of our staff and Anna is no exception...a true Super Star that we are very proud to have on our staff. Your comments are very rewarding...I will be sure to share this with Anna and the staff.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family again the next time you visit Boston.
Westwood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Right in the middle of Boston's Copley Square, this great modern hotel is one of the two anchor hotels of the indoor shopping mall, Copley Place. (The other anchor hotel is the Copley Marriott.) Connected by heated pedestrian bridges, and across the street to the Prudential Center's Shoppes, it is possible to spend your entire stay without putting on a coat. Tons of shops, restaurants, a subway station in the basement, what more would you need?
Rooms are spacious, the lobby is under construction as of this visit (January, 2013), but the temporary lobby is more than adequate.
If you are looking for an indoor shopping venue that rivals Montreal's "underground city", the Westin Copley can't be beat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Copley Place? Share your experiences!