“Good though expensive - and why charge extra for internet?” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #30 of 82 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Rehovot, Israel
“Good though expensive - and why charge extra for internet?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This is in general a fine hotel, in line with other large chain hotels. The room was clean and nicely decorated, and bed was comfortable, the TV was large, and the staff were helpful. The hotel is connected to the Copley Place mall, which is itself connected to the Prudential Center mall (and the Hynes Convention Center), so it is very convenient, especially in cold weather.

A negative is the high cost ($230/night, with the special convention rate), which doesn’t even include a breakfast. Especially annoying is the lack of free Wi-Fi; this is essentially a business hotel, and nowadays an internet connection is almost in par with water or electricity. Demanding an extra $15/night for this service is outrageous.

All in all, what you’d expect from an expensive Boston hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, responded to this review, January 7, 2013

Much like the airline industry, the hotel industry yields their room rates based on demand in the market...as such our room rates are commensurate with the outside demand that is created by the market, time of year, city wide conventions, etc. A rate of $230.00 in Boston in the first two weeks of December is actually reasonable. Obvioulsy is the meeting was in the suburbs it would be cosiderably less, but demand can be great at that time of year. Additionally we are painstaking in our review of the hotel market charges for internet and we are in line with all the major brands in boston regarding the charge for Wifi.

Once again thank you very much. Your selection of The Westin Copley Place is very much appreciated. I realize you had many choices for hotels within the city, and I am grateful for your business.

We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you and your family again the next time you visit Boston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I had a fantastic six-night stay at the Westin Copley Place, from the ease of check-in and lovely view of Boston Harbor, to the reading lights in the headboard and uncrowded health club. Most of all, every single staff member I encountered was friendly, professional, accommodating, and helpful. I paid for 3 nights and used points for 3 nights, but they arranged for me to stay in the same room. I am delighted that they ask at arrival if you want to take part in their 'green' program through which you can earn 500 points for each day that you do not have sheets and towels changed.

The location was ideal - indoor walkways to malls and easy walking to universities and hospitals. I will definitely return!

Room Tip: I stayed in 3120 with view of city and Boston Harbor, very quiet - I'll ask for it again.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Happy New Year and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston. We cannot agree with you more on the location. Central to everything you need to do in Boston.

Thank you as well for your comments on the staff and the service they provide. They are truly what makes the difference between a good hotel and a great hotel and your comments just verify that we are in the right track here.

North Battleford, Saskatchewan, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Westin Copley Hotel was a wonderful place to stay. I was in Boston for a conference and found it to be convenient and well-appointed. The price was reasonable, the service was good and the Back Bay location, meant it was accessible to a lot of quick and easy sight-seeing. My only issue was the amount of time I spent waiting for an elevator, each time I called one; that issue really needs to be addressed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

I am not sure why the elevators took so much time to get to you...with seven guest elevators other than the odd occasion when everyone breaks at the same time, there should not be an inordinate wait. I will look into this.

Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Westin for six nights. Flew in and out of Logan Airport, so did not have a car; however, the location of the Westin was amazing - walking distance to everything and easily accessible via public transportation. Cabs to/from this location are affordable as well.

I attended a large conference at the Hynes Convention Center/Sheraton Ballroom, which was a few blocks away. After long days at the conference, it was nice to be able to find many places to eat at the Westin without having to walk outside, as the hotel is connected to the Prudential Center/Copley via glassed-in walkway. Couldn't have asked for more.

Turners Fisherie in the hotel was great. Had a wonderful lunch with friends. Had a tasty scallop panini. Would go again.

The Hotel itself was well-maintained. The famous Westin Heavenly Bed held up to its reputation. Bathroom was wonderful with great white tea scent products (another Westin staple). Overall, would return again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Copley Place, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston. We cannot agree with you more on the location. Central to everything you need to do in Boston.

Thank you also for your comments on Turner Fisheries our Sustainable Seafood Restuarant....we are very proud of the service and food and your comments just validates that for us.

Syracuse, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The hotel was as-advertised - a standard Westin property. The lobby was pretty open and seemed to always have people down there using the free wi-fi, etc. The location was great to do some walking around or shopping (connected to a couple shopping destinations and steps from Newbury Street). Service was good, although I didn't really "use" it very often (check-in & check-out). The room itself was great - clean, big, comfortable, and the best beds in the business. The bathroom was nice and the in-room entertainment was the usual Starwood system.

Just watch out for the extras. If you stay a couple nights and do valet parking, use in-room wi-fi, go to the breakfast buffet one morning and rent a movie, you'll end up tacking on more than the amount of one night's stay. At least at the rate that I was at. Everything here just seemed way overpriced.

And, as usual, shame on Starwood for charging so much for wi-fi that usually stinks anyways. It's free for all of their lower-priced brands (aloft for example), but if you actually shell out some cash for a room, you have to pay extra (and a lot extra).

Room Tip: We had a river view room - the view was awesome.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Sorry to hear that you felt the Wi Fi was not adequate...that can be very frustrating I agree...particularly if you pay for it...which you will at all the major hotels in Boston...I will have someone take a good look at our provider to ensure that we are being provided the correct amount of bandwidth.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed here again on business in Boston and would recommend, although with advice to Westin/Starwood management. First, this hotel is well maintained- clean, good rooms, comfortable beds, adequate toiletries, and attentive staff. Great location with access to the T, and walkable to the Back Bay and Boston Commons areas. Good for location and for business travelers. Has a nice pool and high end fitness center with lots of variety of equipment. This time the check in staff gave me the top (36th) floor which is a Starwood member floor, with a slightly nicer room than some others in the hotel, and small perks like 2 robes instead of 1, plus a stunning view of Boston and the Charles river. But, Starwood management, listen to what this hotel drawbacks were: hotel "business center" is composed of a couple of iMac computers located in the lobby that one couldn't print boarding passes from, and one couldn't do any other work on. So why are they even there? Another stupid surprise was that the hotel's public restrooms were access key only, so what's the point of that? Where are guests and conference attendees supposed to go, in the adjacent mall?

I would stay at the Westin Copley again, but Starwood get your act together about the hotel computers and public bathrooms.

Room Tip: Get something high and away from elevators.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback after your recent stay at The Westin Copley Place. I am delighted that you had the chance to stay with us here in Boston. We cannot agree with you more on the location and view. Central to everything you need to do in Boston.

The computers that you refer to is a temporary solution until we renovate the lobby in January and add a new technology center called the Haven in half the gift shop space...the gift shop is being renovated and updated as well...we contracted out for the business center, but we are taking it over as I beleive we will be able to add value and provide better service, so this is temporary. Regarding the lobby bathrooms, we lock them to keep non guests from using them, and either the concierge or the bell attnedants have a key for you to use...you can also use the restrooms in the restuarant/bar which are always open and just off the lobby.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This is my first stay at a Westin after becoming a Starwood Preferred Guest and I was mostly impressed. I was given a corner room on the 34th floor with great views and a spacious living area. Like others, I wish the bathroom was slightly larger. The counter space is adequate, but the general size of the bathroom leaves a lot to be desired. There's quite a bit of maneuvering to be done around the bathroom door, but it's not awful. Overall, the size of the room, comfort of the bed, cleanliness and great service far outweighs the small bathroom.

The in-house restaurant is good for breakfast, but it's overpriced. Without made-to-order omelettes and more variety, $21.00 is just too much to ask. However, it's good food and the service is outstanding. Perhaps the nicest aspect of the dining choices is the Fogo de Chao that recently opened in the hotel's lobby. As all Fogo locations that I've experienced, it's absolutely delicious and decadent.

Location of the Westin Copley Place is excellent. You're surrounded by shopping, restaurants and plenty of corporate spaces, so walks to business spots are short. The hotel gym is surprisingly well-equipped for a hotel: free weights, benches, cable machines and water coolers, not to mention refrigerated towels for cooling yourself down after a workout. I'm a dedicated fitness person and would use this gym again while I'm traveling.

I did not rate this Westin as "excellent" due to the rates and food prices being too high and the bathroom being small. However, I would definitely return and plan to do so in the future when I'm in Boston.