“Wonderful, wonderful hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Miami Beach, Florida
“Wonderful, wonderful hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

This hotel is by far one of the best in all of Boston. The service is just lovely, as are the rooms. Though the price is a little steep, it is worth it. After all, it is right across from the park! You can take a quick walk there, or if parks aren't your thing, why not check out the new Chanel store, or if that isn't your thing, check out one of the other shops in the area.

Room Tip: The suites tend to be very large and spacious, and they are definitely a good pick if it is in your...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear MattInMiami,

Thank you so much for your kind review following your recent stay with us at Taj Boston! We are delighted that you find our hotel to be one of the best in Boston, and that you found our location superb and our suites to be large and spacious.

We sincerely appreciate your stellar review and we hope to welcome you back to Taj Boston in the near future!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Madison, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Recently went to Boston for long WE and some relaxation and found that and more at the Taj. Booked the hotel because of it's great location within walking distance to many excellent restaurants, had a T-stop close by and is across the street from the Boston Common. The room and was quiet, large and comfortable with a view of the Common. The most pleasant surprise was how attentive, professional and friendly the ALL staff was from the front desk to the cleaning ladies. The hotel was busy but they made you feel like you were they're only guest and if you stood still in the lobby for any length of time, someone was there to ask if you needed help with anything. My only minor disappointment was missing some conveniences such as in room coffee maker and free-Wi-Fi that I have come to expect from other chain hotels. Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up with a view of Boston Common. Hotel also provides free transportation for s...
Dear devo04,

Thank you so much for your stellar 5 star review following your recent stay with us at Taj Boston! We were pleased to learn that you loved our location, room with a view of the Common, and that you found all of our staff friendly, attentive and professional.

We do apologize that there was not an in-room coffee maker; however, one may be provided upon request, and we would be happy to update your guest profile to reflect this preference so one may be waiting for you upon your next arrival. We are also pleased to inform you that we are finalizing upgrades to our systems and in the very near future will be providing Wifi at no cost to our guests.

We sincerely appreciate that you took the time to provide your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Boston the next time your travels bring you to our city!

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

This was out third stay at the Taj, since they took over for the old Ritz Carlton. Simply the best of any hotel we have ever stayed at. The staff and the services could not be any better. When booking, request a room with a view of the Public Gardens or Commonwealth Avenue or, better still, if you get a corner room you will have a view of both. Of course the Taj can be very expensive, especially the Bar and the Café but its worth it because of the quality and the service. Don't be shy about asking for an upgrade upon booking. or checking in. They will try to accommodate you

Dear wdcasey,

Thank you so much for your kind words in your recent 5 star review following your stay with us at Taj Boston! We sincerely appreciate that you find us the best hotel that you have ever stayed at, and that you find our staff and services top notch.

We thank you again for taking the time to provide your lovely comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Boston in the near future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

For the most part, I was very happy with our stay. The rooms are older, but immaculate and comfortable. The doormen were very friendly and helpful, as was the Concierge. The rooms are made up twice a day.

Breakfast was a bit on the expensive side, but it was lovely, as was the Indian lunch we had.

The fitness center was quite large, as hotel fitness centers go, with fresh fruit and bottle of water.

One thing that did cause annoyance at the end of our 4 days was waiting an hour and half for our car. Cars are valet parked at a different location, and they ask you to give them a half hour to retrieve your car. As we were leaving, we had an event to attend in Brookline at 5 pm, but it took 1.5 hours to get our car. They kept saying, "It's on the way", and "We'll put a rush on it" but somehow our request got lost in the shuffle. We were 30 minutes late for our event, which was disappointing.

The other thing is that I personally find it really annoying when hotels charge for wifi. Many of them do it, so it isn't just the Taj ($10.95/day) but I feel that this should be included in all hotel rooms. Increase the room fee if you must, just don't have it as an add-on.

So, I would definitely go to this hotel again, but if I need my car by a certain time, I would try to keep more careful track of where they are in the valet process.

Dear rajalance,

Thank you so much for your recent review following your stay with us at Taj Boston. We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed our staff, rooms, fitness center, and that you had a chance to enjoy a delicious Indian lunch with us.

We do apologize for the delay that you experienced in receiving your car from our valet and we sincerely regret that this caused you to be tardy to your event in Brookline. We have made our Front Office Manager aware of this concern and he will work with the valet staff to minimize these types of delays in the future. We are also in the process of finalizing upgrades to our system and are pleased to inform you that in the very near future we will be offering Wifi free to our guests.

We thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to Taj Boston in the near future.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

I was actually quite disappointed in this hotel, especially as I was looking forward to my visit. I travel to Boston monthly for business, and try to stay at The Fairmont when possible. They were booked but The Taj was offering a fantastic rate with a dining credit.
Upon arrival, the gentleman behind the desk couldn't find my booking, despite having looked at my photo ID and having my credit card with the correct spelling of my name. It was only after I said that I had a confirmation did he manage to find it. He made two keys for me, but only one worked for the room. When I entered, I was immediately hit with the heat. The thermostat registered 86 degrees. I had a beautiful view of the park, but had to keep the windows open, thus hearing all of the Arlington St traffic. I had to phone twice for an engineer to come to my room. When he did, he shut off the space heaters and the heater itself but told me that I couldn't have air conditioning as the hotel was set to heat. That pretty much ruined my stay, as I need to sleep in cool air and under covers.
The rooms are old. There were stains on the wallpaper in the bathroom, as well as a piece of tape randomly stuck on the ledge of the sink. The water in the shower never really got hot and the hair dryer was on its last legs. In the bedroom, which was large for Boston, the bed skirt was frayed and the furniture has seen better days, although there was a very comfy lounge chair and ottoman that looked recently reupholstered. The curtains looked new, too.
The lady who did turndown service was delightful, as were the gentlemen who delivered my room service both nights. I ordered off their Indian menu the first night and really enjoyed my meal. On the second night, I ordered a bunch of taster items, and was very disappointed by the "warm" pretzels, which I was told were soft and doughy and were instead a packet of hard mini pretzels put in a bowl. As I had the dining credit, I didn't mention it, but probably should have.
It's back to The Fairmont for me. Or even The Marriott. At least they have adjustable air conditioning throughout the year.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear JujubeeNewYork,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your detailed feedback following your stay with us. We were so pleased to learn that you found a fantastic rate with us and that you found our In Room Dining staff and turn down attendant delightful. Further, we were delighted to learn that you had the opportunity to enjoy a meal from our Indian menu and that you thoroughly enjoyed yourself.

We do apologize for the pretzels that you received, and our In Room Dining Manager is aware of your situation. This was investigated and it was found that our staff made an honest mix-up between the pretzels and mistakenly gave you the crunchy pretzels instead of the soft pretzel. We wish that we were made aware of the mix-up sooner so that we could have promptly resolved the issue and provided you with the correct pretzel.

We appreciate your comments regarding the heat in your room and we would like to offer our apologies for the inconvenience you experienced due to this. Our hotel has different heating systems in the two towers and we may update our profile to ensure that we allocate your room in the other tower for future visits.

We sincerely appreciate the time that you put into providing us with feedback following your stay. It is from comments from guests such as yourself that we may continue to improve our future guest experiences.

Norfolk, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Stayed 2 nights at the Taj. Great service and staff. Rooms and building are dated. Great location and property it just needs major renovations and upgrades. I would say it was worth what I paid $180/night. If you are looking for a great hotel though I would try some newer properties like the Boston Harbor Hotel, Intercontinental, or Mandarin Oriental.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I was here for a conference in Boston, this was my first time at Taj Boston. As pointed out it is an older hotel my understanding it was the Ritz Carlton before it was the Taj. Which may explain why the decor did not have that India motif. Service is a premium here, when was the last time you have seen waiters in a tux serving drinks? To be honest in some ways it reminded me of Downton Abbey in decor and service. My room seemed like a standard size, and t was very quiet. It has been a long time since I remember staying at a hotel where I am not hearing the guests next store, or their TV. The bed were comfortable, it would have been nice ot have a view of the park, but to be honest I was hardly in the room except to go to bed. They do turn down the beds at night, this includes, setting the TV to a channel that reviews India (palaces, etc. which is the closest ambiance you are going to get to India motif). They also put down a cloth on the floor with slippers. I have to admit it is my first place where I got slippers put out for me. Probably the only negative things I can think of, is not enough space to put my tolietries in the bathroom, they are small and the HVAC is a bit tempermental. When I came into the room it felt like 80 degrees, I was dressed for the -19 wind chill that was outside the first day. I did get it adjusted to where I could sleep, but I could not sleep with the comforter on, without dying of heat. A few of my co-workers actually slept with the windows open to to cool down the rooms. And FYI - there is no coffee in the rooms. (One of my co-workers saw that first, I didn't) But take heart, they have the coffee & tea set up in the lobby. Service was excellent, so a good stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
BostonTaj, Manager at Taj Boston, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Carol D,

Thank you so much for your detailed review following your recent stay with us at Taj Boston during a conference. We were pleased to learn that you found our service top notch, and that you enjoyed our turn down service and your comfortable and quiet room. We would like to offer our apologies for any discomfort that you experienced due to the temperature in your room during your stay. In the future, our Engineering Department would be happy to assist you with any HVAC issues you may encounter. We are also able to supply a coffee maker for your room, upon request, and our Front Desk Associates would be happy to add this to your guest preferences so that this may be provided for your next stay.

We thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Boston the next time you are in the city.

Hotel Manager

Been to Taj Boston? Share your experiences!