“Hmmmm...... interesting?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 77 hotels in Boston
Cape Cod, MA
“Hmmmm...... interesting?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed at the Revere for a parent's getaway night (deal through living social). Overall, I'm very happy that we paid what we did as I would probably have been more disappointed if it had been much more expensive. But it was a very nice location and after all - it was our getaway overnight so that right there makes it enjoyable!

I had read the other reviews so was on guard for the "strong scent," the "loud and slow elevators," etc. But I kept an open mind.

We arrived early (noon for a 3:00 check in) and our room wasn't ready yet - I wasn't surprised and I asked the very nice young woman behind the desk not to worry about it as we were planning to explore the city anyways. She let us check our suitcase and we were off to do the tourist thing.

We returned around 2:30 and our room was ready (by the way both my husband and I thought the notorious scent in the lobby was nice. I really liked it, he said it wasn't that bad). We were on the 24th floor, so after receiving our complimentary champagne toast upon arrival we headed up in the elevators. Never during the time we were there, did we have a long wait for the elevator. And we were on the top floor.

The room was beautiful. Not our style as we are more family, cozy types but we can appreciate an attractive decor. Clean lines - it does help if you know the hotel theme of theater inspiration (i.e. sign for door says "talent at rest"). The room was spotless, balcony overlooked the city with beautiful views. I found the bed comfortable, my husband wasn't a huge fan. But that kind of thing is so subjective. There is a "pillow menu" and I am at fault myself for not choosing a different pillow - the feather style pillows that were on the bed were too squishy for my but that's my fault for not asking for a different one.

We had tickets to blue man group (highly recommended) at 8:00, so we went down to the concierge to ask for suggestions in the area for dinner. This was our first disappointment - the concierge (I'll leave him name out) seemed annoyed that either we had not made reservations or that we were pestering him for help with a restaurant. We actually didn't want him to call around to get us a table (although we appreciated him doing that) - we just wanted some names of places. Oh well. Sorry that we bothered you?

We had a wonderful time at the show and returned to our room - this was an odd part - we had taken a nap before going out and had left the bed disheveled. But when we returned at 10:30 the bed had been remade and my clothes had been folded on the bed. Kind of the opposite of turn down service which we would have expected. We're not regular customers at 5 star hotels so I'm not sure if that was what they were going for but it seemed peculiar to us.

Once we turned the lights out we experienced what many reviewers have mentioned - the noise! The noise! THE NOISE! I have never heard so much noise from the hallway as we did here. I would strongly recommend to the hotel that they install sweeps under the doors because the "entranceway" of the room is laminate / hard floor. Most hotels are fully carpeted, causing the doorway to be more sealed. But here there is a significant gap under the door - so much so that we didn't need a nightlight, the room was lit with the light shining under the door. And if the light can get under, the sound can too. The next room was having trouble with their key and we lived through the experience. The saving grace was that we were at the end of the hall so there weren't a lot of people coming by thankfully. And with it being winter there weren't a lot of customers getting ice at the machine next to our door. We did hear noise from the elevators all night long - I can only imagine if we had been next to the elevators themselves. Perhaps because we were on the top floor we got more noise from the equipment being right above us?

The next morning we had a nice breakfast in the Rustic Kitchen restaurant attached to the hotel. Nothing amazing, but convenient and average taste.

So I would give the Revere points for location (lots of points for that!), points for the amazing Skoah skin products (lots of points for that too!), and the staff were very friendly (with the exception of concierge) and helpful. Cons included the NOISE and the NOISE. And the concierge was so - so.

Would we return? Perhaps. But there are so many other places in the area that it would have to be a really good deal to return. I did love the skoah products so much that I plan to order some online for myself (couldn't figure out if we could buy them at the hotel and if so, how to?).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

1,215 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Polish first
Durham, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We are in Boston often and have stayed in more than 10 hotels in this area. The revere is a new remodeled hotel with great style and a location central to the park, back bay, theater district and the south end. Given the name we thought it might be in Revere, but it wasn't. There are many good restaurants nearby. Rooms were clean, views from the top floor great, beds very comfortable. In all the rooms are similar to many other more expensive hotels in the area. The gym is better than most and has new equipment. The pool does not seem to updated since this was a Radisson .

Only complaint was lack of signs either in the elevator or rooms as to where things were in the hotel. Sometimes the elevator was slow. Some people were offered champagne on arrival, we and many others were not. Not sure if it is random or based on your room rate.

My husband and I liked it and will return as long as they continue to offer good values.

Room Tip: Top floors have better views but take longer on the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ipswich, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had been to this hotel before it's new ownership. Was a sudden shock to see how the lobby had been so ultramodernized when we entered. The room and amenities were fantastic. Everything was so modern, tho the electric outlet in the bathroom didn't work.

Room Tip: The Rustic Kitchen restaurant next door is very handy and always a gourmet tasty meal. Always come...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in January with my partner for his birthday. Upon arrival we were greeted with a glass of champagne and a really friendly receptionist. Room was spacious and modern with a great view over Boston and would definitely stay here again. The only bugbear I had was the fact we had to pay $100 per night for the first 2 nights as a contingency. The money was returned a week later but as we were only there 3 nights it put quite a dint in the money we had. Like i say apart from this i would certainly reccommend this hotel for a stay in Boston

Room Tip: Take a credit card with at least $200 to cover the contingency charge
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This was a mystery hotel pic from Jetsetter, and all I could think when we entered the beautifully appointed lobby was, who died? Because it smelled like air freshener! I asked the desk clerk what this was, and was told, a white tea fragrance delivered through a system. When I said it was overpowering and nauseating, she replied that guests either loved it or hated it! Fortunately, it was not as effusive in our room. We traveled a few months ago (October) so I hope they have ditched this practice, especially since if we had our asthmatic adult kid with us, he would not have been able to breathe without his inhaler.

Room Tip: Park at the nearby garage and save a bundle. We valeted because it was really late when we checked i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I wanted a modern hotel to celebrate my husband's birthday. The Revere was perfect!! All staff were so friendly and helpful. Of special note is Guillermo at in house reservations. He went above and beyond to make sure everything I was looking for was present in the room I chose. He truly made our experience wonderful. Great location,Great hotel, Great staff!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Deerfield Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

I just got back from a weekend at the revere. I got an awesome deal on livingsocial for 119 in a supreme king room and it was well worth the price. The beds were comfy, super clean room and hotel. The resturant attached to the hotel is wayy too pricey and i would recommend walking to any of the millions of nearby places. The location was awesome! Walking distance to the commons which is where we started the freedom trail. I would definitely stay here again.

Been to Revere Hotel Boston Common? Share your experiences!