“Great location, excellent rooms” 5 of 5 stars

Rise and Shine Package
Ranked #21 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto
“Great location, excellent rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Great rooms, excellent shower and washroom with daily cleaning service. The hotel is in great location by transit, short walking distance to many tourist attractions. The hotel has a bar/lounge called "The Emerald" that appeared very popular (the line was so long even as guests at the hotel we couldn't get in).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Simon M, General Manager at Revere Hotel Boston Common, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Revere Hotel Boston Common. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed our location and guest rooms. Emerald Lounge is Boston’s newest luxury lounge, and is very popular especially on weekend nights, which is why we offer guests VIP access. Unfortunately, once we reach capacity, we cannot allow anyone else to enter per city of Boston codes. I will be following up with the Emerald manager to make sure that was the case. It is less busy during the early evening hours, so we hope you will have the opportunity to stop by Emerald the next time you stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
North Andover, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel was very comfortable and located in a great spot for our night away from home, but being billed as a more upscale hotel I expected a bit more. The room had no mini-bar and the bathroom was pretty small. There was nothing wrong with this hotel by any means, but having stayed at the Nine Zero and Liberty Hotel in the past which are in the same price range I found the Revere Hotel to just be a bit less polished.

On the plus side room service was very tasty and quick, albeit a bit pricey. The view from the room's balcony was also spectacular.

Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Revamped and recently modernised Raddison Hotel very close to all the main tourist attractions.

We got a very reasonable room rate but meant we had room low down and towards the back of the hotel. Lot of noise from room above with people walking about and from external ventillation systems. Meant bit of disturbed sleeps. Front desk staff at check in were friendly, welcoming and very efficient.

Great choice for breakfast - although you had to walk outside and cross main entrance drive to restaurant.

Only minutes walking to Boston Common? Would recommend for holiday break to discover Boston

Room Tip: High level room facing Theatre district
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Revere Hotel Boston Common. I am surprised to learn that you heard noise from the room above you, as we are a solid concrete building. Glad to hear how great you found our front desk cast and how friendly and helpful they were. Just so you know for the next time you visit, Rustic Kitchen can be accessed by taking the elevator to the Mezzanine level, so you do not have to go outside. Many guests just find it easier to walk across the driveway. We look forward to your return.
Sterling, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is a nice hotel with a upscale flavor. The location is excellent: close to the T and within walking distance of many Boston sights. The staff were helpful and friendly. However, the champagne was not offered to us (don't know why, I am of age). The room was very nice. However, the elevators were close by and you could hear the whoosh constantly. Cost? it was reasonable, considering we had a discounted rate and a free room upgrade. The lobby area was a little strange. The acoustics in the reception area was poor, the echo/reverberation made it hard to hear/understand to receptionists. We would probably stay there again if we can get a reasonable rate.

Room Tip: Request a room that is two or more rooms away from the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Simon M, General Manager at Revere Hotel Boston Common, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Revere Hotel Boston Common. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our location and cast members. Unfortunately, the city of Boston has cited us for serving complimentary tastings of champagne, and we are taking the necessary measures to comply with the city, by not serving while we work through this. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Hampton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We just spent 3 nights (Sept 25-28) at this Hotel. We found the rooms to be clean, comfortable and quiet. It was within walking distance of many restaurants and trolley stops. The concierge was extremely helpful with maps and answering our questions for exploring Boston. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the Revere Hotel Boston Common. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our central location and that our concierge was so helpful in providing you with the necessary information to make your trip authentic. We look forward to your return.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Revere during a recent trip to Boston - 3 nights, September 20-23. I had read some reviews of the hotel on Trip Advisor before our stay so I knew the hotel had been recently refurbished. If you're reading other reviews, I would suggest ignoring any reviews older than July 2012 - those older reviews pretty much pertain to when the hotel was a Radisson and won't be relevant to the hotel in its present form.

Overall impression:

Good:
-hotel location
-room size and amenities
-friendliness of staff

Bad:
- inconsistent staff
-room noise (from elevators and HVAC)

In short, I'd stay here again, despite the negatives, if I got a good deal again (we got a great deal on the room for this stay). But for the noise issues in my room, I wouldn't have any complaints about our stay. Although my review say its a 4, it was really more of a 3.5. Without the noise issues, its probably more of a 4-4.5

My more detailed comments are below:

Location:

The hotel is very well situated. Its located near a bunch of other hotels (the Park Plaza, the W, the Four Seasons, among others are right nearby). Its also situated roughly in the centre of the City, 2 blocks from the Boston Common/Public Garden. Technically its in the Theatre District near Chinatown, but the Theatre District in Boston is tiny (1.5 blocks), so Boston Common is a better reference point. Boston's a pretty small city geographically, so being in the centre like that puts you reasonably close to all the sites. Its roughly the same distance to walk Newbury Street to Copley Square as it is to walk the other side to Quincy Market, as it is to walk to the edge of the river behind Beacon Hill. There's even a couple of "T" stops nearby. As well, the immediate area near the hotel is not super busy at night, so no rowdiness to keep you awake.

Rooms:

The rooms were reasonably large and spacious, especially for a hotel at that price point. I can speak to this because we were initially put in a Queen Room (2 Queen Beds) but had booked a King Room and were moved the next day. The room amenities are set out in the hotel website, so I won't get into too much detail, but I will confirm its what you will expect from a 4 star hotel. The beds are pretty comfortable, the electronic safe is large, the bathroom is a good size, as is the TV. Really, no complaints with the room, its amenities or layout.

Although I understand the hotel was recently refurbished, it seems they skimped on upgrading the balcony area. Its an old concrete style that betrays the age of the building and doesn't appear consistent with the look and feel of the hotel generally. That said, the view from our room was spectacular and it was nice to take in the fresh air from the balcony.

Also, the HVAC system in the room is quite loud. I read that in other reviews, but I was quite surprised when I dealt with it upfront. It makes a loud click sound when it turns on and off and at least once or twice it actually woke me up.

In addition, the King Room we were moved to was situated next to the elevator and I was able to hear the elevator coming and going when I tried to sleep. Even with the TV on, I could still hear it faintly, and when the room was otherwise silent, the elevator noise was surprising loud. I even left the fan on all night hoping to drown out the noise, but no luck. Coupled with the loud HVAC system, it resulted in my not sleeping well at all during the weekend, despite how nice the room was. As you can imagine, it was a bit of a damper on the trip.

Overall, while the rooms size and amenities are consistent with a 4 star hotel, the soundproofing for rooms near the elevator is not good enough and the HVAC system is far too loud and creaky for a hotel that purports to be 4 star.

Service:

Service at the hotel was friendly, if a little inconsistent. Check in was generally smooth, except we booked a King Room and none were available when we arrived, so we were put in a double Queen (2 Queen beds). Not a big deal, stuff happens. Also, I had an upgrade coupon so I asked to be upgraded. Interestingly, the front desk clerks talked us out of upgrading because they explained the room we would have been moved to was next to the elevator and according to them, it'd be impossible to sleep because of the noise from the elevators (interesting, in light of my comment above about the rooms, isn't it?). We were offered vouchers for free breakfast instead, which was actually a better deal in my opinion, so no complaints.

That said, the next day I went to confirm our request to be moved. We were told it was all set up and that our luggage would be moved to the new room while we were away. So, after an afternoon of sightseeing, I go get the key card for our new room and what do I discover? We were moved to a King Room next to the elevators and of course, our luggage was nowhere to be found. I actually had to call the front desk twice to get the luggage moved to our new room, as I had no idea where our stuff was. The luggage thing was not a big deal, but being moved to the room by the elevators was horrible. We were only there 3 nights and I didn't have any real desire to move rooms a third time so I just put up with it, but really it did dampen my experience. I guess I found it frustrating that the night staff at check in warned us about taking a room near the elevator, only for the day staff to move us to a room near the elevator the next day. If the noise issue is a known problem, then either fix it, or don't put guests there.

The Concierge made some nice dinner recommendations and booked the reservations for us, which was nice.

Other notes:

- Although the hotel was refurbished, its clear it was only on the inside - the outside still looks like a little cheap and old and doesn't at all giveaway how it looks on the inside

-the lobby layout is weird - the front desk is completely obscured by an art installation/sitting area that doesn't appear to serve any purpose except to make the lobby seem more cramped than it is. Also, the front desk is situated in such a way that you have to go out of your way to go there no matter where else in the hotel you are. Not a big deal I guess - just a strange design decision.

-I had read reviews commenting about a strange smell in the hallways. I didn't notice any weird smells. Smelled perfectly normal to me

-I had also read that reviews complaining about slow elevators - not an issue for us. Hotel was fairly busy but we never waited more than couple of minutes max for an elevator, and when they arrived they moved quickly.

-never went to the nightclub so I can't vouch for it

-the only meal we ate at the hotel was the breakfast. We had the buffet, which was very good, in my opinion. That said, buffet is about $17 per person - not out of line for a hotel, but if it wasn't free we probably wouldn't have gone there.

-we also didn't use the gym or the pool.

Room Tip: -Avoid rooms beside the elevator. The sound is noticeable, particularly when the room is otherwise...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the Revere Hotel Boston Common and for your extensive comments. Great to hear that you enjoyed our hotel location, guest rooms, friendliness of our cast, and the view from your room. You are correct, however, in that we did not do anything to update the balconies. In response to your noise remarks, our Loft suites are adjacent the elevators, and if you are a light sleeper, I do not recommend staying in this type of room since you may be able to hear the swooshing noise you mentioned. We are in the process of placing white noise machines in these rooms to address the issue, but it really is a personal preference since we have had many guests stay in the same rooms without any disruption. I do want to apologize that your luggage was not moved to your new room as promised. Our standard is to have the guests luggage moved to the new room once it is ready and set up the way it was in the previous room. I will be addressing this issue with our cast and leads. We hope to see you again in the future and that you will have the chance to check out Emerald Lounge for a craft cocktail. I personally recommend the Blueberry Vojito.
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

stayed here for three nights and had a great time. location is perfect for boston common and back bay. trolley tour stops right outside the hotel. all staff encountered were very helpful and efficiant especially the concierge who appeared to be on duty all hours.
great hotel, great location, great staff. hope to return soon

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Simon M, General Manager at Revere Hotel Boston Common, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Revere Hotel Boston Common and for your comments. We are delighted to hear how much you liked the location and especially our cast. Make sure to check out Emerald Lounge the next time you stay with us, and try one of their craft cocktails like a Blueberry Vojito, with mint and fresh blueberries; one of my many favorites.

Been to Revere Hotel Boston Common? Share your experiences!