“Surprisingly wonderful place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking & Breakfast
Ranked #32 of 77 Hotels in Boston
New Haven, United States
“Surprisingly wonderful place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I've known about the Parker House and its glorious past but this was the first time I've stayed as a guest. I'd read reviews that were less than stellar and was very happy when the room was quieter than others reported. I loved they had the feather pillows on the bed I'd requested. The breakfast we were served was better than others we've had at high end hotels. We were very pleasantly surprised and we look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

The Omni Parker House is a lovely, historic hotel in a great neighborhood in downtown Boston. I was there for a conference and had a nice stay, with some caveats.

Pros:
-the location is great and right on the Freedom Trail and not far from Faneuil Hall.
-the staff were very friendly and helpful.
-the food was quite good. We had very nice group breakfasts, lunches and dinners. All were quite varied (roast beef, seafood pasta in cream sauce, chowder, fish, good salads, etc) and good quality. Room service was also very good although, admittedly, I did only order a hamburger which is not too taxing on the kitchen.
-the building is lovely with lots of carved wood, brass, and "old-word charm".

Cons:
- it's an old building so it has some of the usual drawbacks that come with that. My room was quite small and my "view" on the 14th floor was directly into another building across the narrow street. The only shelf space in the tiny bathroom was right over the toilet so I kept the lid closed for fear that I was going to drop stuff into the toilet.
-the elevators are older and slow, especially getting to the upper floors.
- more importantly, the place needs a little more attention to cleanliness. My room was mostly clean on the surface but there was a big tangle of hair on the bath towel (how could the staff not see that when placing it there?). There was an, um, icky stain on the blanket that is draped at the bottom of the bed and there were a number of small hairs on the sheets. And finally, I ordered water with my room service dinner which arrived in a glass with someone's lipstick still on the rim.

In sum, it's an interesting historic building and they did a very nice job handling our conference, but I didn't feel the cleanliness and attention to detail was what you would expect for a luxury hotel charging at the higher end of the usual hotel range.

Room Tip: I don't recommend the 14th floor. It takes forever to get there (or down from there) on the old...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and we apologize for any shortcomings you experienced during your recent stay with us. You comments have been shared with the appropriate staff members so that we improve!
Mooresville, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Stayed at Omni Parker House for one night on business, and it was really a great place to crash. The location was excellent, as it was only about 2 blocks from the T and a short walk into the financial district. The Freedom Trail passes right by here, so I know it's a great spot for tourist walks as well. The lobby is beautiful, and my room was very clean. Overall, I was really happy with the stay.

I do need to point out two little criticisms, though. First, the bathroom was surprisingly small given the size of the room. The living area was quite roomy, and honestly the bathroom size was okay since I was travelling alone. If you're headed to Boston with your family, please don't be surprised.

The only other issue I had was when a guy in the next room came in at 1:00AM bellowing into his cell phone. I have no idea what this guy's issue was (speaking in Russian), but someone was getting the worst of it. I would really have appreciated a little more insulation in the walls at that point, but they seemed quite thin. I believe that's par for the course with these older hotels, but I'd advise the Omni to consider this in their next renovation.

I'd give this hotel a big thumbs up for business travelers and couples. A smaller thumbs up for families might be more appropriate, but I think it's a very good place to stay either way.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Cabo San Lucas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Very nice, older, well restored hotel centrally located in downtown Boston, a short walking distance to dining establishments, shops, clubs, the T, the local farmers market, etc. The breakfast buffet is a pretty good value, best price if purchased in advance, or as a combo with the room.

Room Tip: Check for various promotional offers on line before booking, and don't forget to ask the hotel f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

This stay at the OMNI Parker house was definitely a mixed bag. We stayed here for a Boston Bruins hockey game later that evening. Check in was a breeze and we got room 1154. This room was TINY. The bed in this room was even smaller. I wouldn't call it a double, not sure if it was. For $300+ standard rate per night, it was NOT a good sleep. That being said, I don't think I have even seen a more polite and helpful staff. The place was sold out so we were stuck in that room, but the people there were great. It has a very nice fitness center and a small but stylish lobby. It depends on your tastes, but sleep is important so we won't be back. Valet parking is $39 per night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I was not happy with my recent stay at the Omni Parker House in Boston, MA!! Issues: Broken TV upon arrival Chocolate Covered strawberries were green. (Unripe) Chipping paint/flaking on ceiling in my room. Black mold on Shower tiles. Noisy slumber party next door.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

OmniPH55, Guest Relations Manager at Omni Parker House, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
We're sorry that your recent experience didn't match up with your previous ones and invite you to contact us before you make your next reservation so we can be sure to make that stay perfect. Many thanks for your feedback and we hope to have you back!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

The location is great. Most attraction sites are within walking distance. The staff are friendly. Room was comfortable even though I chose the smallest room (90sq ft). Facilities are all well maintained in this old buildings! Free wifi at lobby were in good speed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Been to Omni Parker House? Share your experiences!