“Great Location!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 77 Hotels in Boston
West Springfield, MA
“Great Location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Depending on what you are looking for this hotel was perfect. We wanted to be close to the theater district, near a subway, not pay too much, have breakfast included and of course have a clean room. We got it all at the Milner. Other than the rooms being small, it was great. I think if I were there for a long stay the size of the room might have been an issue but for a short stay it was perfect. The beds were very comfortable. I do have to say when you first walk in you get a college dorm feel but once you settle in it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I booked this hotel very last minute and during high season and basically only chose it as it was the only central Boston hotel I could afford. Given some of the bad reviews, I was slightly nervous initially, however I ended up being more than happy with my choice.

As many other reviews have mentioned the hotel's location is really fantastic and it's very easy to walk to all the major sites from the hotel. This was my first trip to Boston and it really was an ideal base to go exploring. Also, it's only about 10-15 mintues walking distance from Boston's South station if you arrive by train.. There are also a number of subway stations nearby, although I ended up taking a taxi from Logan Airport as I arrived late night international flight. If I remember correctly the Taxi from Logan was around $40.

The staff at reception were very friendly and I can't relate to any of the negative comments. I was always given helpful pointers and when there was a small problem with the sink in my room, someone was sent up immediately to sort out the issue. Also, on my booking I had requested a quiet room on one of the top floors, something I didn't even have to mention at check in again. A very quiet room in the furthest corner of the top floor had already been reserved for me. As a result I also slept very well during the 3-days I stayed there.

I also really liked the fact that the self-service breakfast was free and for a basic hotel even quite plentiful. There was fruit, pastries, bread, conflakes, tea/coffee, juice, yoghurt and you could even bake your own waffles. The breakfast area itself is quite basic, but who cares if the breakfast is fine and the food is topped up regularly.

Another positive for me was that free internet access was available. There is no internet computer in the hotel, but if you bring your own laptop, you have internet access in your room.

There is a 7/11 around the corner where you can stock up for the day and restaurants if you just want to pop out to have a bite to eat after a long day.

All of these plus points absolutely outweighed the fact that the room was very, very small. Maybe the double rooms are bigger, but my single room really was tiny. Also, the decor was quite dated and the facilities basic. However, the room was clean and this was much more important to me as I only need a bed after long, exhausting days of sightseeing.

I thought this hotel offered great value for money and I'd say book this hotel if you are looking for a clean, affordable hotel in a great, central location and you are happy with a "no frills" room. If space or the aesthetics of your room are quite important to you as part of the experience, you probably won't be happy at the Milner.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

The Milner Hotel was everything we expected. It was in a great location (the theater district), close to restaurants, and near the Boston Commons and the start of the Freedom Trail. It lies just a few blocks from a subway station, which was great. The only thing I feel the need to mention is that the rooms are very small. They are very clean, but there is just enough room for a bed, a nightstand, and a television. This didn’t bother us because we didn’t spend much time in the room, but if you are offended by tiny rooms, look elsewhere. It's in a quiet area, so there wasn't much outside noise at night and we slept well. Overall, it was a great stay and a great start to any Boston trip, especially for newcomers like us.

Room Tip: I don't believe they have many, if any, rooms for more than two people.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Elmhurst, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

It's very difficult to find a hotel. Since i check in, I don't like the room at all and ask them to change it. The staff try her best to do it but it has only 3 room left. I pick the one that not close to the stairs and has a street views. It's small but the bathroom pretty huge. Receptionist are friendly and helpful. When I step down I smell some chocolate all over the lobby.. I guess it might be brownie. And it is..... a brownie and so delicious...... and they serve it for free. Great to visit there!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

This hotel is small with no frills but affordable and close to Boston Commons, shopping, theater and Chinatown. Walking distance to law school and Tufts. The rooms are little- I wouldn't want to share with anyone but my spouse or family ( no coworkers for cost sharing). There is a big window in the bathroom- don't forget to pull the shade! Room was clean but older. Pretty nice free continental breakfast downstairs. Hbo but no pay per view that I could see. If you aren't looking for a big chain hotel, you'll probably like this.

• Stayed May 2012
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

This is an old hotel in the theater district. Walking distance to Boston Common, good restaurants/cafes, North Station, subway. Location is great, though it can be a little noisy.
The hotel staff was attentive and very helpful.
Rooms are small, but clean. Hotel has a good continental breakfast. Free wifi.
Very good value for the money, especially considering prices for the hotels in Boston.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I chose Milner because after reading other reviews I thought it offered a good price/quality ratio and it fit perfectly my expectations.
The hotel is very well located, a couple minutes walk from Boston Commons and easy to reach many sites / places on foot. Boston is a great city for walking and I enjoyed starting my day with a strall around, from Milner hotel. Othewise subway is again a couple of blocks away, which is very convenient.
It is a charming old building with pleasant atmosphere. Everything worked well - shower, internet; the room was clean and ok in size. The staff was friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was rather basic but again relatively nice: fruit salad, bagels with cream cheese, some donuts, cereal, coffee... you would not stay hungry. The breakfast room felt quite crowded in the mornings and once I could not find a table but the stuff was very accomodating and helped to sit in the next room.
The only strange thing which I did not like at all was that my room seemed to have a small angle tilt or maybe it was just the bed, so when sleeping I was sliding slowly to one side of the bed... had to sleep in diagonal to keep my balance :). It was one of the single rooms on the third floor. Funny, I've never encountered such problem anywhere else.
Overall, I was very satisfied with location, quality and price and would gladly stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Milner Hotel? Share your experiences!