“Nice hotel in excellent location” 4 of 5 stars

Bed and Breakfast!
Ranked #7 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Virginia
“Nice hotel in excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

This hotel is in a nice location for touring Boston. The public areas are lovely and the staff is friendly and attentive. My not perfect rating is because my room a/c never really got cold. I even had an engineer come up and "fix it" but it still stayed warm. This is not fun when it is very hot outside. The hotel rooms are spacious and bathrooms were clean and luxurious. I enjoyed room service for breakfast. My only real gripe was the a/c unit being weak and never really was fixable.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
FSBoston, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
I appreciate you taking time to share your review of our Back Bay hotel. I was very sorry to hear that the air conditioning did not get corrected to your liking. I have shared your feedback with my colleagues in Engineering, and the team is looking into the matter right away. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts so we know where improvements can be made. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again as our valued guest.

–Awet Sium, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I've always loved the Four Seasons, it just screams old money and elegance to me, not to mention it has the most amazing view of Boston Common & The Public Garden.

I also have fond memories of the days when my favorite band, U2 stayed there when they were in town. Legions of fans, including me, gathered out front "on the bricks" to meet the band. Even us stalkers were treated kindly by hotel staff, but I digress.

I'm finally getting around to writing this review now, though my stay was in December of 2013. Knowing I've always wanted to stay there, my now husband surprised me with a stay here, and proposed to me the next morning which was Christmas Eve morning! The staff knew of his plans, and kindly sent up champagne and strawberries with the room service breakfast we ordered, and everywhere we went in the hotel the employees were kind and helpful.

We both also had massages that were great, but I do wish they had an actual spa in the hotel.

The only true disappointment was that the bed was surprisingly uncomfortable, it was just too soft for my taste.

Everything was lovely though. I wish we had used this hotel during our tiny wedding several months later. We instead used the Charles as our base, and it was extremely disappointing.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments about our Back Bay hotel. All of the staff enjoyed hearing about your memories of the Hotel through the years, and we were so thrilled that your visit with us included a Christmas Eve morning proposal. All the staff send their best wishes, and we hope everything has been lovely for you since your special visit with us. We would be absolutely delighted to welcome you back again soon, and all of us at Four Seasons Hotel Boston thank you for sharing your kind remarks.

Tokyo, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights after 4 nights at the Four Seasons in NYC. It was my first time at this particular Four Seasons, but since I'm a big fan of the FS so I was happy to try out a new one.

The trip got off on the wrong foot. My friend picked me up in a SUV, and when we arrived, the bellman full-on dropped my luggage from the trunk, which is a good 3 feet from the ground. He just looked at me, no apologies at all. Then when I got to the reception, the lady at the counter was really distracted, and started chatting to my friend (who was not checking in) about the World Cup. I was tired and rather irritated, and waited and waited until this conversation was over. It was a good five minutes later when she realized that I wanted to check-in.

The room was small and overlooking a parking lot. But it was the least of my problems.

One morning, there was an ice cream cart in the lobby. My friend and I wanted to try some but there weren't any place to sit and enjoy the ice cream, we also wanted to go over some business. We walked over to the Bristol Lounge next to the cart, and before we even said anything, the lady at the door said "Hi girls, looking for the bathroom?" By this time, I had already stayed here for 3 nights. I don't expect you to know my name (like they did at the DC Four Seasons), but at least try to remember my face and not dismiss me for some random chick from the streets. I told her I'd like a place to sit down, she just motioned me to a bench in the lobby. We eventually got some drinks in the Lounge, but the whole experience very unlike the FS.

The worst was when I was coming back one night with my friends, who were of Latino background. I was walking behind them, and as they were walking me back to the hotel, they said, "watch the guards close the doors on us". And true enough, the two guards closes the door and didn't let them in. They waited until I got the door and the guards asked me to show my room key. I asked my friends if they wanted to come inside, and since the guards are still standing by the door, they declined. I was so embarrassed that I was staying at an establishment like this. I understand that it's customary to ask guests to show room key past a certain time, they also did that at the FS in NYC, but the very next night, I came back to the hotel around the same time, and there was NO ONE at the door. No one.

I've loved every single Four Seasons I've ever stayed at, and I've stayed at plenty. But this experience was shockingly bad. It's a pity that it doesn't live up to the FS standards, and I would never go back again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
FSBoston, Hotel Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Boston, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
We were absolutely mortified to read your review, and as Hotel Manager, I apologize for any discomfort you experienced during your stay. Please contact me personally at awet.sium@fourseasons.com or (617) 351-2008 so I get more information and address each and every one of your concerns personally. I hope to hear from you.

Woodbury, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Let me start by saying that in the past I have had nothing but incredibly positive experiences at the Four Seasons, Boston. I have stayed at the hotel a number of times, attended family parties there over many years, and got married there about 20 years ago. I found the service to be extraordinary and the commitment of the staff to be unparalleled. All the employees went out of their way to be helpful and it was arguably one of the best experiences available anywhere in the United States.

That's what it used to be. Hello, 2014. To set the scene, my sister and I were in town because our 86 year old mother had surgery on short notice due to a fall. My sister needed a hotel room and all of the 4 to 5 star hotels in the area which had rooms in the $350-450 price range were fully booked. The Four Seasons had availability perhaps due to the cost of $700 for one of their smallest rooms (which we discovered later, to top it off, also had no view and no bathtub ... just a shower). I believe this room is generally offered for much less. This was not a suite ... just a basic room.

When the front desk staff were asked if they could find a lower price for the room, they consulted with the back office and came back saying there was nothing they could do.

I asked to see the front office manager, who turned out to be Mr. Michael Magid. I told him why my sister was in town (recall, a family medical emergency) and noted the room price of $700 which seemed extraordinarily high. I noted my past experiences with the hotel. He explained that the hotels in the area were fully booked and that he had a few last minute cancellations and that was why the rate was so high. I acknowledged that the hotel certainly had the right to charge whatever they wanted, but that it left a bad taste given the situation. He had little to say, and quite frankly seemed bothered at having to have the conversation. To be clear, I did not bargain ... I did not ask for anything specific. I just explained how I felt about the situation and hoped he would be able to do something to lower the cost for my sister.

As most trip advisor readers know, many institutions (hotels, airlines etc.) change their prices constantly based on demand. I suspect that the Four Seasons Boston is no exception ... that's how they maximize revenue. But that said, one would hope that they would be flexible.

I wrote this review because I think you can learn a lot about the culture and character of a institution by how the people in charge carry themselves.

Here are some suggestions for Mr. Magid: If someone tells you they need a room due to family emergency, consider asking how the ill family member is. Perhaps say that you are sorry that they have to be in town under such circumstances. Perhaps lower the room rate a bit based on the situation and the customers past patronage of the hotel If you can't change the rate, explain why and offer something as a courtesy ... maybe a free breakfast. What you shouldn't do is be abrupt and seemingly uninterested in the situation. At least try to be nice...

Michael Magid saved the Four Season at least $150 that would have been lost had he lowered the price of the room, or $40 had he given a free breakfast. But in so doing, he lost the Fours Seasons, Boston business in the future. Curiously, the staff at the front desk seemed much more interested in being helpful than the Front Office Manager. That doesn't seem right, does it?

If this experience is any indication, Four Seasons, Boston has become one of the pack. If this is the case, I suggest looking elsewhere in Boston for lodging ... it is just not worth the extraordinary premium in price for a less than extraordinary experience.

Four Seasons, Boston (Michael Magid, Front Office Manager). It's not what it used to be. Not even close.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
I was very sorry to read of your experience, especially in light of dealing with family illness. I would be grateful if you would contact me directly at awet.sium@fourseasons.com or (617) 351-2008 so I can personally address the matter. I hope to hear from you soon.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Hotel is in an excellent location in town facing the park. The park itself is beautiful and one should take morning and evening walks there.

The facade of the hotel initially leaves u wondering if u made a right decision to pay $300++USD per night, in General the hotel i believe has been around for some time and it is starting to show its age. An upgrade would definitely be in order. I like that they offered drinks and biscuits FOC to hotel guest. The suite is rather small and had only 1 bathroom at the maindoor. Honestly compared to other 4 Seasons, it did not feel grand enough to be called a suite.

Finally For that amount of money Breakfast was not included as well.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the park on lower levels are affected by traffic noise. Get a room facing the park is y...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I'm delighted to share that we have recently completed a multi-million dollar upgrade to our guest rooms, with more enhancements on the horizon. I have shared your feedback with our team and hope that you’ll consider being our guest once again in the future.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the hotel earlier this month. The front desk person upgraded us to a suite overlooking Peoples Park at no extra charge to help us celebrate our anniversary. That obviously was extremely influential in our experience. However, even without the upgrade, I would rate it an excellent experience. The hotel is situated in an awesome location that facilitates travel throughout the city and is across the street from a beautiful park. All of the staff were excellent and really demonstrated that the hotel was making a concerted effort to excel on service. For example, all staff called us by name to make the experience more personalized.

The only meals that we ate at the hotel were breakfast, but all were excellent. The Concierge gave us a preprinted list of selected restaurants. We really liked the fact that the selection wasn't Concierge-dependent and the Four Seasons wasn't pushing their own restaurant. The restaurants that we selected off their list were excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the park have a beautiful view. The hotel is in an urban setting, so you should ex...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your remarks about your recent stay with us on your trip to Boston from San Diego. We were so pleased that you were celebrating your anniversary during your stay, and were delighted that you enjoyed the upgrade and our incredible staff.

I enjoyed sharing your comments with our Concierge team, and was glad that you enjoyed breakfast at our Hotel. When travels bring you back to Boston, I hope that we will be able to welcome you and your wife back as our return guests. Thanks again for sharing your feedback with us.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We realized at 5 pm on a Wednesday evening that we needed an overnight break on our way to Maine. By 6 pm we were welcomed by Stephen in Valet, who warmly and genuinely welcomed us.
Despite our last minute reservation, our room was ready and already de-feathered. We loved our Executive Suite, facing Boylston Street and the Public Garden.
We had ordered room service on the road and it was delivered within moments of stepping into the room- a fine and much appreciated display of team communication on the part of the awesome Four Seasons folks taking care of us. My tired daughter was given fun treats and a new stuffed friend. In our short 17 hour stay, we ordered room service at least four times, and each time was a delight. The gentleman who brought everything up was entirely too kind, professional and patient, and our orders were never missing a thing.
My only complaint would be that the pull out couch be updated and replaced - it was a very uncomfortable night's sleep.
I've heard this property needs updating, though I can't speak to that, as our Suite had recently been renovated and was spacious and perfect (especially the bathroom with separate shower and tub). Housekeeping is flawless and the room was spotless.
Before jumping back in the car, we walked around the Public Garden, which was really a breath of fresh air. The ducks and swans were a hit with everyone and we departed feeling rested and very well cared for - with big smiles all around.

Stayed July 2014
It really made my day to be able to share your kind words with my colleagues. Everyone from Stephen in Valet, to Front Services, Housekeeping and Room Service were so pleased to hear that your stay was a wonderful one. We pride ourselves on service, and were so glad you could be our guest during your trip to Maine.

I did note your comment about the sofa bed and have flagged it with Engineering so we can address this; thank you for letting us know. We would be so pleased to welcome you and your family back as our guests and hope that we will see you again very soon.

–Awet Sium, Hotel Manager

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Boston? Share your experiences!