“Tasty! With surprisingly light options ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lucca Back Bay

Lucca Back Bay
116 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02116-5749 (Back Bay)
+1 617-247-2400
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Lucca Back Bay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #147 of 2,672 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Pizza & Pasta
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Garrison Street
Transit: Prudential or Copley on Green Line or Back Bay on Orange Line
Description: Lucca Back Bay is the sister restaurant of Lucca in the North End. The Kitchen, headed by Andres Cruz, embraces classic Italian cuisine with a contemporary approach. Andres works closely with the finest purveyors and local farmers to ensure that nothing but quality produce enters his kitchen. From house-made pasta and breads, to handcrafted desserts, the cuisine is a thoughtful, well executed, process. Lucca Back Bay offers two dining styles. The elegant main dining room at Lucca Back Bay is the perfect place to relax and enjoy world-class cuisine and exceptional service in a fine dining atmosphere. The cozy and intimate lounge at Lucca Back Bay is a great place to hang out after work, whether that's at 5pm or 1am. We have been told that we have the best burger in town, a staple on our bar menu which is served nightly until 1am. We stay open until 2am every night, with a large industry following, and feature a large collection of house-infused spirits.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Tasty! With surprisingly light options ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Though an Italian restaurant, I have had great success with fish entrees in place of heavy pastas. Only complaint is the slow service! Also a bit dark.

Berkeley, California
“Much, Much Better Than Recent Trip Advisor Reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I noticed that three of the last four reviews of this restaurant rated it as "poor", although 2 of the reviewers may have been rating the same bad experience their group had. I am sorry for their experience, but our experience was quite different, on Saturday evening, December 28.

The dining room is very pleasant - the tables are spaced far enough apart that you can easily converse without raising your voice, or listening to other conversations. The noise level is low, thanks to a carpeted floor and very high ceiling. The room is attractive.

The reception staff was friendly and courteous, and our waitress was very knowledgeable, efficient and professional. The restaurant serves gluten free pasta, which is available with all its different types of sauces or preparations. Our waitress went through the menu with us to point out the dishes that my wife could eat (she can't eat gluten meals).

I had the Vellutata soup (good) and the Orecchiette pasta (wonderful!), and my wife had the Fico e Spec (Figs etc.) which was heavenly and the gluten free pasta with fettuccine sauce (outstanding). The cocktails were well prepared, and the wine by the glass was good too.

We were there between Christmas and New Year's, a slow time for most restaurants, which may have impacted our experience - there were no large groups in the restaurant, all tables were for 2, 3 or 4 people, probably going to the Tom Rush concert at Symphony Hall, as we were.

Overall, the food and service were very good, pleasant room, and good experience. I recommend that you discount the recent poor reviews as aberrational and give this place a try.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ashland, Massachusetts
“Good food. Watch out for valet!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I love Boston restaurants with valet parking, but don't tell me ten minutes and take 30. The owner was so nice and apologetic. The deviled eggs were amazing. Avoid the meatballs. The spaghetti is excellent.

Seat 1C, Delta Airlines
“Going downhill - disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Have been an "infrequent regular" over the past couple of years. Generally have been very happy, but the last visit was probably my last.

The cooks are still good, and what they produce is great. However, dinner menu seems more limited and was a bit disappointing in the selection. Service was abysmal, dreadful, unprofessional, inattentive...can't seem to get enough adjectives to describe it. Had a whole bottle of wine, and the only time he poured any was at the opening. Timing of dishes was erratic, and the lack of attentiveness disrupted the experience.

My only conclusion is that the economy has picked up enough that it is problemmatic to find good wait staff. Spoke to the manager, but really didn't get the impression that it mattered.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Medford, Massachusetts
“Service and Hospitality Failed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

To be unbiased and fair, their chefs are really good. We had 11 people and basically every dish was good. Nothing was bad at all. The drinks and wines are well worth it. The hostess was really nice and took our coats without us even asking. Now for the bad: Service was not up to standard. The server (Julio) may have been new on the job or inexperienced. Lets assume he was new.

1.He took our appetizers (mussels, calamari and a side of brussels sprouts) and 11 dinner orders. One of my friends asked what was the starch with the lamb and he gave no answer. Really, he just said Lamb. So the whole dish was lamb eh? No, it wasn't. The starch was risotto. He never once informed us what the starch was. My other friend ordered the monkfish (which was the special of the day). She wanted to know if the monkfish was prepared with a cream sauce (which she didn't want). Julio said no, its not prepared with a cream sauce. Well, it was prepared with a cream sauce. The birthday girl ordered a dish where she wanted to replace something in the fettuccine with vegetables. She asks Julio what vegetables can they replace it with. He responds, " Well what vegetable do you want?" What? We have no idea what you guys had?! We shot out 3 veggie choices and he said they didn't have them. On the 4th one, we asked for broccoli rabe and he said we have this but there would be an up-charge. There was no frustration but we felt we had to dig deep to get options out of our server.
3.The entrees came out and it was good! We chatted and enjoyed our main course. We then noticed something missing; our appetizers. They never came out. We got our servers attention and he went back to the kitchen to bring out the food.
4.Now for dessert. We decided not to get dessert since we bought a cake for the bday girl. The bday girl's husband brought the cake in before our dinner and the front desk informed him that there is a plating charge of $15-$20 dollars. He was ok with that. Well, when Julio took the cake to the back to the kitchen for cutting, he came right back out to tell us the plating fee is now 5 dollars a person. ($55) Ok, this was new. This was the first time our group of friends ever sent two friends to the manager to complain about the inconsistent prices for the plating fee. The manager understood and even took the plating fee off the bill. We really appreciated it.
5. When they were SPEED serving the cakes to our table. One of the servers (probably Julio or one of the bus boys; we were not sure, they were moving so fast) drops a piece of the cake onto my friend's bag and jacket. They just said sorry and disappeared. Nobody came to clean it off. As we sat there, the cake was just sliding off my friend's bag. This was ridiculous. As a second time, we went to the front desk to ask if someone can help us. The same manager (Rita DeAngelo) came over and said sorry and had Julio clean off the cake.
6. The bill comes. We took the total + tax + "mandatory" service charge of 18% and divided it evenly. Half of it was in cash and half of it was in credit cards. Julio leaves for 15 mins and comes back with out receipts. My receipt came out right but two of my friends had "tips of 18% of the total bill" added onto their portion of the bill. So just think, paying for your portion of the bill (with tip/tax included) and then adding another 18% tip of the TOTAL bill to that. He would have had an extra 60 in tips. I had to walk him through the math to fix it.
7. As we were walking out, I said to the manager could you just pay attention to the receipts at our table. I think there may have been some miscalculation. (I said it in the most respective tone. I swear.) Rita says, "I don't want to hear it." I said look I'm not trying to cause any issues but just please pay attention to the receipts and then she said it again. "Yes, I don't want to hear it!" She then goes on to complain how they had a bad day and it was busy and didn't need to hear this from us. There were 3 tables in the restaurant besides us that night. It was not busy at all! She then goes and says, "What do you want me to do about him? (Julio) You want me to take him downstairs and whip him!?" I didn't say anything. I asked for her name and she says Rita DeAngelo, the GM of the Restaurant and we can write anything about her. She didn't care.

So there you have it. We were beyond respectful. It was a quiet and calm dinner with hiccups and management embarrassed themselves. Again, we are being fair here. Julio might have been new but Rita forced me to write this as her attitude requires adjustment and she says she didn't care if we wrote the truth about our night at the fine dining establishment, which is Lucca Back Bay.

• Visited November 2013