“It was like having a cute apartment in the city” 5 of 5 stars

The Boston Christopher
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   476 Columbus Avenue, Boston, MA 02116   |
Ranked #33 of 46 Boston B&B and Inns
San Diego
“It was like having a cute apartment in the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I loved my stay at the Christopher. It was like having an apartment in the city. I stayed for New Years.
In addition to the necessities (bed, bathroom, closet) it had a tall fridge (not a mini), toaster oven, microwave, and a flat range stove. Basically, it had a little kitchen in the room. Which I loved since many hotels don't have a fridge to store left overs or even a microwave to heat up food/soup.
Being from San Diego I loved the wall with exposed brick and the decor. I took a picture in front of the wall since it looked so, "East Coast."
I read the other reviews and agree that I wouldn't have any more than 2 people per room.
But I did have my codes emailed to me and they worked so I didn't have the experience of calling for the codes. I guess its best to make sure you have your codes before you arrive.
There are no visible staff, but you really don't need them, there were plenty of extra towels, sheets and pillows in the closet. There wasn't an elevator and I was on the 3rd floor so I only brought up one bag. Other than that I really loved my stay there.

Like I said it really is like having you're own apartment, it's in the middle of a residential neighborhood too. So you feel more like a local and less like a tourist. You have everything you need in your room, and everything you need outside your room, great location in the city!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
southern usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

This place is not your typical Hotel. It was MUCH better--especially for a family. I
took my daughter to Boston during a school vacation. We stayed in the one-bedroom
suite which was very clean, surprisingly large and nicely appointed...Things we really Liked:
The KEYLESS entry. As my daughter descibed it "really cool"- we received an access code
two weeks prior to our stay instructing us how to enter and were able to get in with ease by punching
the numbers into a keypad on the door knob. The LOCATION- this place is close to everything-restaurants, shopping, touring and the subway; The PRIVACY-we had the autonomy to come and go as we pleased without feeling "watched" and if we needed help we were able to call by phone-they even assised us with tickets -(thanks Michael!!!); THe DIGGS- it was so fun to "live" in a historic brownstone. We had everything we needed, kitchonette, wirelss internet, huge TV, fireplace, comfortable bed and furniture with plenty of extra towels.
Things we didn't like: no hot breakfast, although we did find a really great breakfast place called
"Charlie's" that was across the street and would definitely recommend to others. We were also disappointed that we were not able to spend time on the roof deck...But we did see snow and coming from Florida, that was a real treat!
We will definitely return to our little city apartment, and next time we will invite my husband and son;
or maybe not!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Wellesley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

We stayed at the Boston Christopher during fourth of July weekend. The bed and breakfast was perfect for us because we wanted the experience of more of a high end apartment than a hotel. The room was clean and updated with modern amenities. Our favorite part was the roof deck, we were able to watch the fireworks with a great view of Boston's sky line.

The hotel is in the perfect location, we were able to eat out at several restaurants and walk to the Prudential and Copley Mall close by. I would highly recommend it.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Amherst, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

My girlfriend and I were hesitant to stay here as opposed to your average hotel while we were visiting family in Boston, but the low rate and great location won us over. It's located about two blocks away from the Prudential Center, where you can take the Subway anywhere around the area.

Let me say first that this is not a place for anyone who might consider themselves "high maintenance". There is no front desk to speak of, but when we called the office for help with the gas fireplace they had someone come up to help within 20 minutes (and they got it working in 2). The use of access codes instead of physical keys was a nice touch as we could come and go as we pleased and didn't have to drop off keys anywhere. It's worth noting that the codes worked without a hitch, but not until check-in time (and I assume not past check-out time).

The room itself was very nicely decorated. We stayed in a one-bedroom which had a big living room and a very good sized bedroom with queen bed. There is a breakfast basket which has a bunch of little goodies to munch on, but hardly anything to last us for a few days. Luckily there was a full kitchen in the room which was fantastic when we didn't feel like (read: couldn't afford) to go out every night.

Despite the freezing cold, we went up to check out the roof deck which had a very nice view of the Boston skyline. Definitely worth checking out during a warmer season.

The bottom line: if you want to be pampered and get room service and the whole 9 yards, the Christopher isn't for you. If you're looking for an affordable, well-decorated suite in a great area of Boston, this is your best bet.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
turkeypm
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

This is not a hotel. When you arrive at the Christopher, there is no one there to welcome you with a similing face. There is just a door and a passcode lock on it. There is a message on the door. It tells the guest to call a particular number to get your passcode first to enter the building and second to access your own room.

I booked the Christopher through Hotels.com. I arrived the Hotel Thursday night at 10.45. As suggested in the message posted on the door, I called in to get my access code. I waited at the door outside for almost an hour for someone to answer my call. I even called their so-called "emergency" line. But no one answered. While patiently waiting on the line for someone to answer, I saw other guests punching in their access codes. They told me that they also had to wait a long time on the phone. So recommended me to be patient. About 12 AM I gave up and went out to find another hotel to spend the night.

Now imagine a hotel which you booked and paid in advance, but when you arrive there after a long flight in a dark and cold night, there is no one to let you into your room. And you have to walk with your luggages around the city to find another place to sleep. This is the Christopher experience. Do not be stupid, do not waste your money on this hotel. You deserve way better than this.

So for me it was a TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE....

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
BostonChristopher, Owner at The Boston Christopher, responded to this review, February 18, 2010
Dear Guest

I regret your experience was less than satisfactory and apologize for the delay in responding.

I hired a new management team for The Boston Christopher as a direct result of customer feedback. This transition to Inn Boston Reservations began on November 1, 2009. Both IBR and I have been working diligently to assess and improve all policies and procedures that were previously in effect. Our goal of course is to create an affordable lodging experience without compromising guest comfort or satisfaction.

The Boston Christopher website has been completely revamped to better manage guest expectations. The new website provides updated in-room photographs, architectural plans and lists in-suite amenities. We also have a page dedicated to commonly asked questions which is entitled “about us”.

Since our establishment is un-hosted, we have become strict with third party reservation services and require them to provide us with guest email addresses and telephone numbers. We strive to communicate with every guest in advance of their stay. Admittedly this third-party requirement is sometimes difficult to enforce, but we are committed to making every effort to make contact with our guests before they arrive. **Whether you make a reservation with us or someone else, we encourage guests to communicate directly with the lodging establishment after processing an online reservation to confirm dates and discuss check-in procedures.

The Boston Christopher is still able to provide upgraded accommodations which include oak flooring, granite kitchenette, stainless steel appliances, marble bathroom, 42” flat screen television and free wireless service for an extremely reasonable price. The new management team has expanded office hours and support staff so they can be reached seamlessly 24 hours a day/365 days a year.

I can assure you that I am committed to ensuring that every guest has a positive experience. The new management team shares my sentiment and an onsite suggestion box is reviewed weekly - Fortunately we are receiving many more positive comments than negative!

I again wish to provide my personal apology for your experience. I only hope that you will give us a second chance.

- Owner
Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2008

On the positive side the bed was comfy, the location was really good and the price was reasonable. Unfortunately we choose this B&B over another because of the fireplace.... which didn't show up in our unit (#2). We DID have the patio which (in December) had a slick footing of ice as you stepped out to it. The breakfast consisted of 1 envelope of instant oatmeal, 1 granola bar, 2 tiny biscotti, 1 small box of raisins, 2 - 1/2 pints of water and 5 lindt chocolates for 2 adults/2 days. I didn't expect a gourmet meal but I was expecting more than snacks. The coffee was good however there were no coffee filters, we made do with paper towels. The coffee was in a premeasured packet for 16 cups even though it was a 4 cup pot (no coffee scoop). We discovered the first night that we wouldn't be cold as the heat ran ALL night without turning off. The noise didn't keep us up but the suffocatingly oppressive heat did, we had to open the window, I don't know what we would have done with a fireplace if we had one. But the worst part was that a week before our arrival I could not contact the place by phone or email to get our access code to get into the building and room. Finally I got a human on the phone (1 hr before I jumped in the car to go to Boston) and was told it was sent to me.... it wasn't I searched my emails.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The HEAT
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sahuarita
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

This Brownstone is very very close to almost everything you could need. We had #1 suite - the one bedroom facing the street. The neighborhood is really beautiful. We saw a lot of people out walking even long after dark. There is a little neighborhood grocery store right accross the street. A French bistro is right next door and so is a wine shop. Charlie's cafe is just down the street. Great food. Pizza, Thai food, it is all really close. You are just two blocks from major shopping and the T (at Prudential). You can get anywhere you want to go from there including the airport. We did not miss having a car. It was very much like staying in a friend's apartment while they were away. A lot more fun than a hotel room. There is a laundry room in the basement and a roof deck with great views. Now for the negatives - It is an old building and sometime noisy at night,but you would expect that in the city. The bed is not 5 star but we slept just fine. When we go back to Boston we hope to stay there again.

• Liked — The location and ambience
  • Disliked — night noise
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Boston Christopher? Share your experiences!