“Quaint with Issues” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 45 Boston B&B and Inns
Grande Prairie, Canada
“Quaint with Issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

First the good: cute rooftop patio, location okay but Boston is a very walkable City, nice neighbourhood, pillows and bed comfortable, my room came with an outside balcony and I kept the door open a lot to let cool air in, ceiling fan which I kept running for six days, kitchen adequate. Now the not so good: very tiny room for the price, bathroom old and dated, thin walls, the carbon monoxide detector started beeping in the middle of the night and with a twelve foot high ceiling it was precarious to get it down. Maintenance came the next day to fix it but it started beeping again so I permanently took it down (and shouldn't it be near the ground anyway as carbon monoxide is a heavy gas???). The airlines lost my luggage so it had to be delivered the following day so without a hotel lobby and no staff meant waiting outside for the courier (the courier couldn't phone me because her cell plan didn't allow for calls to Canadian cellphones) what a hassle.

Room Tip: Don't stay in Room 3 unless you want a warm room, only one flight of stairs to climb, and can ea...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

First those people advertise with really cheap prices ($100-$150 per night) once you contact them they say that the thing you asked for isn't available anymore and they offer you something worse and much smaller for $350-$550 !!! My boyfriend insisted to go so we did and we were terribly disappointed. The apartment wasn't the same AT ALL than on the pictures, it was a totally different one and the bathroom was dirtier than in an hostel. We didn't even tried to contact them after that, we are tired of those people scamming, lying, pretending... This is the first time I write on TripAdvisor just to make sure that nobody else will loose its time with this kind of host.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My plane was delayed and I arrived at The Christoper at 1:30 AM. The street was deserted and I had to call them for the code to enter. The entry opens directly to the stairs that were steep and dirty. My room was on the top floor. There is no elevator, if you have bad knees this is not for you. If someone attack you on those steep stairs there is no way to contact anyone! If you have little children ship this place; those stairs are very dangerous. I found my windows open with the blinds closed. I could not sleep because of banging sounds. I open the window curtains to find the window open and stuck. I could have walked into my room from the fire escape and at the same time someone could have entered my room from the fire escape!
On the positive side, the room was clean.
PC

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights at the start of June. When I got into my room, it was unbearably hot. Called the main office (offsite) who said they would contact the guest who controlled the a/c for my floor (3 units on each floor share an a/c with the controls inside one of the suites). Called back an hour later to be told that the guest must not have checked in yet, and they would send someone over to turn the a/c down. Called after dinner to be told that the a/c must not be working and they were trying to contact the repairman. Requested a different room, but they said they were completely booked. To make a long story short, the a/c was not fixed for over 24 hours, during a heat wave. It was an extremely unpleasant experience. They did refund the night later.

Location was convenient, the Prudential Center was a short walk away, and there's a Trader Joe's nearby. The furnishing was acceptable and the price was reasonable. I'd recommend this building only if you are travelling in spring or fall, when you wouldn't expect to need heat or a/c. I'll pay more for a real hotel next time I visit Boston.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms 1, 4, or 7. They have the thermostat controlling heat & a/c for each floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed in a studio that was impeccable, though in reality a tiny bit smaller than it appeared in images. That said, the design was lovely, the shower perfection, the bed - a wonderful mattress! The kitchenette had absolutely everything we needed and in perfect working order. The location is ideal (a few blocks from the Pru), the neighborhood is charming and has many options in terms of restaurants or grocery stores if you wish to prepare your own meals, and the management could not have been more helpful and informative any time we had a question. To our surprise, we were able to open a door onto a small roof area where we were able to sit at the table and breathe the glorious morning air.

We would certainly stay here again, and highly recommend The Christopher.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in May for the PAX East Convention. Let me break it down.
COST: Holiday Inn total for 4 nights: $841.63. The Boston Christopher: $460 flat.

LOCATION: Perfect. It was centrally located to many things. The neighborhood was absolutely lovely with many dining options around. One evening we walked over to Tremont 647 had a lovely dinner (yay Restaurant week) and walked back to the room. Some people complain that the "T" stop was not the 2 blocks away as quoted...yes it was. Look for the Prudential stop on the Green Line. It is literally two blocks away from the room. We made the error of walking initially to the Copley stops on the Green and Orange line which is about a 10 min walk, but the Prudential Stop is what you want.

ROOM: The room was perfect. It was small yes, but that was all we needed for two people and were not uncomfortable and crowded at all. The decor was lovely. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom had good water pressure, clean and plentiful towels. The kitchen had everything we needed and the TV was great. Wi-Fi was spotty, but its free. We weren't there needed to have high speed internet access so this wasn't a problem. If the internet is that important...travel with your own hotspot. There was complimentary breakfast items (oatmeal, cereal bars, juice) provided in the room which we partook of on rushed mornings.

ACCESS: Ferne helped us book the room and she was a delight. We paid half at the time of booking and the second half came easily out of our account two weeks before arrival. I was even able to call and change the card on file with no problem. Our arrival was on 3/22 we received an email on 3/16 with the access codes for the building and apartment which worked like a charm and was much more convenient then fiddling around with and remembering keys.

LEAVING: We called the phone number provided to check into storing our bags while we hit the city one last time before flying out and we were directed two blocks to another property The Inn at St. Botolph, where they professionally kept our bags from 9-430 when we arrived back for them.

CONS: We did not have control of the temperature so the room was always hot but not sweating up a storm hot. We are easy going people so we weren't bothered by this. It only messed with our minds a little bit because we layered up quite a bit to go outside and were so hot after we got all of the layers on, but once we hit the streets...freezing! I read the reviews and was prepared for this as well as was prepared for the thin walls...I traveled with ear plugs for sleeping. The walls are quite thin and if you are a light sleeper, you will hear all that goes on...especially the very fussy child in the room next to yours LOL. But my husband who sleeps like a rock, was not bothered once. Lastly, because of the hardwood floors I think, there were some stray hair and dust on the floor, but not to the extent that I was grossed out.

This apartment really made our trip PERFECT and would if we could always plan to stay here on return trips.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed here from the 25th March until the 1st April. We had a one bed suite and it was exactly as in the photos.It has everything you might need, iron,vacuum cleaner (essential if you have vacuum bags for all the shopping) and there is a laundry room downstairs.
We were in room 4 and it was up a couple of flights of stairs, A bit difficult to get the suitcases up and down without a lift so if that is a problem the Inn at St Botolph would be a better choice. The bathroom could do with updating but it had plenty of towels and toiletries to do us the week. We were supposed to leave a day earlier but our flight was cancelled so we rang and asked to stay an extra day, this was no problem at all. There is a gorgeous roof deck with the most amazing views of Boston. Its a short walk to a few t shops so its easy to get everywhere.
When we did have to leave we were able to leave all our luggage in the Inn at St Botolph down the rd and found the manager there very helpful.He let us print off our boarding passes and got us a taxi to the airport. We will definitely consider the Boston Christopher for our next trip.

Room Tip: Rooms at the from have a great view of the Prudential centre.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to The Boston Christopher? Share your experiences!