“Good location, maintenance issues” 3 of 5 stars

The Boston Christopher
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   476 Columbus Avenue, Boston, MA 02116   |
Ranked #31 of 45 Boston B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“Good location, maintenance issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights at the start of June. When I got into my room, it was unbearably hot. Called the main office (offsite) who said they would contact the guest who controlled the a/c for my floor (3 units on each floor share an a/c with the controls inside one of the suites). Called back an hour later to be told that the guest must not have checked in yet, and they would send someone over to turn the a/c down. Called after dinner to be told that the a/c must not be working and they were trying to contact the repairman. Requested a different room, but they said they were completely booked. To make a long story short, the a/c was not fixed for over 24 hours, during a heat wave. It was an extremely unpleasant experience. They did refund the night later.

Location was convenient, the Prudential Center was a short walk away, and there's a Trader Joe's nearby. The furnishing was acceptable and the price was reasonable. I'd recommend this building only if you are travelling in spring or fall, when you wouldn't expect to need heat or a/c. I'll pay more for a real hotel next time I visit Boston.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms 1, 4, or 7. They have the thermostat controlling heat & a/c for each floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed in a studio that was impeccable, though in reality a tiny bit smaller than it appeared in images. That said, the design was lovely, the shower perfection, the bed - a wonderful mattress! The kitchenette had absolutely everything we needed and in perfect working order. The location is ideal (a few blocks from the Pru), the neighborhood is charming and has many options in terms of restaurants or grocery stores if you wish to prepare your own meals, and the management could not have been more helpful and informative any time we had a question. To our surprise, we were able to open a door onto a small roof area where we were able to sit at the table and breathe the glorious morning air.

We would certainly stay here again, and highly recommend The Christopher.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in May for the PAX East Convention. Let me break it down.
COST: Holiday Inn total for 4 nights: $841.63. The Boston Christopher: $460 flat.

LOCATION: Perfect. It was centrally located to many things. The neighborhood was absolutely lovely with many dining options around. One evening we walked over to Tremont 647 had a lovely dinner (yay Restaurant week) and walked back to the room. Some people complain that the "T" stop was not the 2 blocks away as quoted...yes it was. Look for the Prudential stop on the Green Line. It is literally two blocks away from the room. We made the error of walking initially to the Copley stops on the Green and Orange line which is about a 10 min walk, but the Prudential Stop is what you want.

ROOM: The room was perfect. It was small yes, but that was all we needed for two people and were not uncomfortable and crowded at all. The decor was lovely. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom had good water pressure, clean and plentiful towels. The kitchen had everything we needed and the TV was great. Wi-Fi was spotty, but its free. We weren't there needed to have high speed internet access so this wasn't a problem. If the internet is that important...travel with your own hotspot. There was complimentary breakfast items (oatmeal, cereal bars, juice) provided in the room which we partook of on rushed mornings.

ACCESS: Ferne helped us book the room and she was a delight. We paid half at the time of booking and the second half came easily out of our account two weeks before arrival. I was even able to call and change the card on file with no problem. Our arrival was on 3/22 we received an email on 3/16 with the access codes for the building and apartment which worked like a charm and was much more convenient then fiddling around with and remembering keys.

LEAVING: We called the phone number provided to check into storing our bags while we hit the city one last time before flying out and we were directed two blocks to another property The Inn at St. Botolph, where they professionally kept our bags from 9-430 when we arrived back for them.

CONS: We did not have control of the temperature so the room was always hot but not sweating up a storm hot. We are easy going people so we weren't bothered by this. It only messed with our minds a little bit because we layered up quite a bit to go outside and were so hot after we got all of the layers on, but once we hit the streets...freezing! I read the reviews and was prepared for this as well as was prepared for the thin walls...I traveled with ear plugs for sleeping. The walls are quite thin and if you are a light sleeper, you will hear all that goes on...especially the very fussy child in the room next to yours LOL. But my husband who sleeps like a rock, was not bothered once. Lastly, because of the hardwood floors I think, there were some stray hair and dust on the floor, but not to the extent that I was grossed out.

This apartment really made our trip PERFECT and would if we could always plan to stay here on return trips.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed here from the 25th March until the 1st April. We had a one bed suite and it was exactly as in the photos.It has everything you might need, iron,vacuum cleaner (essential if you have vacuum bags for all the shopping) and there is a laundry room downstairs.
We were in room 4 and it was up a couple of flights of stairs, A bit difficult to get the suitcases up and down without a lift so if that is a problem the Inn at St Botolph would be a better choice. The bathroom could do with updating but it had plenty of towels and toiletries to do us the week. We were supposed to leave a day earlier but our flight was cancelled so we rang and asked to stay an extra day, this was no problem at all. There is a gorgeous roof deck with the most amazing views of Boston. Its a short walk to a few t shops so its easy to get everywhere.
When we did have to leave we were able to leave all our luggage in the Inn at St Botolph down the rd and found the manager there very helpful.He let us print off our boarding passes and got us a taxi to the airport. We will definitely consider the Boston Christopher for our next trip.

Room Tip: Rooms at the from have a great view of the Prudential centre.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Boston was the last stop on a 3 week holiday for us. We thought that it would be nice to stay somewhere other than a hotel (we thought we'd be sick of hotels by then.) We came across this place on hotels.com and booked a Grand Studio Suite (kitchen in a separate room, to the king sized bedroom.) When we arrived we found we actually had a Studio Suite, where there was a double bed and kitchen (including a very noisy fridge) in the same room. I have emailed the staff about this but to date there has been no reply. Worse than this however, was the dirt in the room. Although it had supposedly just been cleaned, there were big balls of hair and dirt in the main room and the bathroom. The room was shabby- the toilet seat was worn, and the curtain rail was drooping and it was impossible to open the heavy curtains more than 2 inches. The blind at the window was broken too. But we thought we would make the best of it, as we were only going to be sleeping there really.... Oh dear, the bed turned out to be absolutely rock hard and the room was boiling. It was a sleep deprived few days in Boston and whilst we did enjoy the city i really wish we had booked a hotel instead of this place. We were so glad to leave!!

Tacoma, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

AVOID. Incredibly RUDE staff that lost my paid reservation! I can't even tell you whether the apartment quality is good because I never got to stay there. I booked four nights in January 2013 at the Christopher in October 2012 through hotels.com and paid for my entire stay at that time. A couple of days before my travel I called (as directed) to receive my keyless access code number. They had lost my reservation and given my room away - moreover the staff person who helped me acted like I was making the whole thing up and was vague about whether they had given the room away or not. After forwarding the email confirming my paid reservation I called again and spoke to the manager Tom who 1) kept interrupting me brusquely, 2) told me I shouldn't have used hotels.com because I should have known better to book through them directly (why would they be listed on the third party site??!!?), and 3) acted like he was doing me a favor finding me four different rooms for the four nights when I would be there at an important conference that was located by the Christopher.

When I told Tom I would write a negative review - that's when all of a sudden a "what can I do to improve service/why are you dissatisfied" attitude manifested. I'm sorry but it's a greater sign of service when you are polite and want to help your customers period - not only when the threat of a bad review hangs over them. I ended up staying at the Copley Square Hotel instead - it was more money but they were INCREDIBLE! Stellar service, albeit the rooms there don't have kitchenettes.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I enjoy this type of accomodation. You have all the advantages and none of the hassles of living in a hotel room. It's also very reasonably priced. It's like having a pied-à-terre in Boston's South End. Its location is perfect. The bed and the bedding are comfortable and the room we rented had all the conveniences we needed to have the most pleasant stay in Boston out of the touristee beaten path while at the heart of the real Boston beat. As a bonus, I also discovered the loveliest coffee shop nearby where I bought the best bagel with salmon, caper, tomatoes and onions that I enjoyed with a cortado on the rooftop for my first breakfast in Boston, although I could also have made it myself since the room is equiped with all ammenities to cook all meals I wanted. There's a cook top, a large fridge, a coffee maker, pot, pans and china. All in good order. I would recommend this to anyone who like me appreciate having choices and independence when travelling.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Boston Christopher? Share your experiences!