“Sunday Funday” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Beehive is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #136 of 2,831 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Clarendon
Transit: Back Bay station on the Orange line is 3 blocks from The Beehive on Clarendon Street.
Montreal, Canada
“Sunday Funday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went here on a Sunday for brunch. It was packed and we didn't have a reservation, but the staff was friendly and tried to accommodate us as quickly as possible. We sat on the second floor in front of the balcony and had a great view of the stage. Delicious food, great drinks, and such an awesome atmosphere with live jazz music!! can't wait to go back!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Greenfield, Massachusetts
“go for the atmosphere, order a hamburger”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

If you see a place where everyone's having a great time, you can legitimately suspect that it's not about the food. Sorry. The sauce for the coq au vin was great, but the chicken had only met it recently (the chicken being dry and chewy). An no bargain with expresso $5.50, and a soggy rhubarb pie for $11. Wines $9 and up for 25.00 cL. Nothing memorable except the bill $100 for two.
By all means go for a great hip atmosphere, and pay more attention to your friends than the food.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good atmosphere - great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

A friend gave us a gift card to this place so we decided to try it out. We had no idea how popular it was so when we called for a reservation the day of (a Saturday) there was nothing until 9:30. Also apparently all the tables are saved for reservations, so there was no guarantee of a table if we just showed up. But they said you could eat at the bar and we already had arranged for baby-sitting so we gave it a shot. Sure enough when we showed up they didn't have anything but took my wife's cell phone number so they could call us if anything opened up. We found a place to stand at the bar and had a drink. After a few minutes we managed to claim one seat at the bar, so we figured we'd just hang out until another seat opened, but then my wife's phone rang and we had a table. We had the pierogi appetizer and it was delicious. My wide ordered the scallops, which was the special and I had the filet mignon in a peppercorn sauce. If you don't like steak au poivre you might not enjoy this, but it melt-in-your-mouth tender and succulent. The frites were a bit on the salty side - they probably didn't need salt at all as they had the sauce on them as well. My wife loved the scallops. I didn't try the cocktails but my wife had two and they were OK but not amazing. The chocolate dessert was amazing as well, though I don't remember what it was called. The atmosphere is nice, but this place is all about the food.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Albany, NY
“Great music venue with fine food, service & ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

On a recent getaway to "Beantown", lovely companion and I were looking for a spot to dine and enjoy some live music. Had heard good things about the Beehive so we made a reservation (a must on the weekends).
We were immediately taken by the positive 'vibe' of this place. Several large bar areas populated by an eclectic, upbeat crowd, and a dining area suited for enjoying the performers.
We saw a Brazilian jazz group that was terrific and enjoyed some very well prepared food. A special comment on their steamed mussels appetizer, maybe the tastiest mussels we've ever had.
Service was from our cool young waiter was very good. Even the busboy was eager to chat and obviously enjoyed being in this upbeat environment as much as the clientele (maybe more). All in all, a terrific experience and one highly recommended.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“A Fine Meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The Beehive is a buzzing place, that's for sure. The crowd there was mildly insane, so by all means, make reservations. And they won't seat you until your entire party is there, so be on time or be prepared to wait, although the hostesses were super friendly about it.

Our server was super upbeat and friendly. We at no time felt rushed even though there was a crowd. I read reviews which suggested ordering the truffled potato and cheese pierogies. These were amazing! If I had ended my meal there, this would have been a five star meal.

What I wasn't as crazy about was my drink. I love bourbon drinks so I ordered a Kentucky Orchard. It was okay, but overly spiced and made me feel like I was drinking Christmas. I ordered the evening's special, bouillabaisse, which was just okay. The frites served with it were too salty and the seafood was a bit overcooked. The food was fine--I was just hoping for more than fine.

A bummer is when we went to get a car from the valet and we were told it would be a 15 to 20 minute wait for our car. The valet said, "You were suposed to give the ticket to your server toward the end of the meal." He never told us that and it would have been really nice if the server, when giving us our check, had asked, "Did you valet?"

The music was lovely, and not overwhelming as I had feared. It's a bit loud, but a fun place out. I would go back to this place and try it again--I'd just stick with the food that's been highly rated.

Visited April 2013