“Great location, decent hotel for the Harvard Med School area” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Longwood Medical

You added The Inn at Longwood Medical to your Saves list
The Inn at Longwood Medical
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   342 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115 (Fenway / Kenmore)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
10% - 50% Last Minute
Ranked #44 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Montreal
“Great location, decent hotel for the Harvard Med School area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

It's an older inn which was refurbished as a Best Western. We stayed there for 2 nights at a special conference price (the conference was at the hotel) which is still quite expensive, but we found out that in Boston any hotel in and around town are expensive.

The room is clean and roomy. the staff helpful and friendly. The best feature about this hotel is that it's very well located near all the medical related firms such as Harvard Medical School, the Mass General Hospital, the Dana-Faber Cancer Institute, and the hotel is attached to the Longwood Gallaria mall which has a nice food court and a few little stores.

The complaints I have are that the blankets are thin. I would have thought for a hotel which has nightly rate of ~$300 it would have a nice fluffy comforter. We are talking about Boston, a bit up north, not Miami down south where it's VERY warm. I had to take the extra blanket from the closet (and thank goodness there is one) to use. Yes, one can turn on the heat, but the heater makes noise and that doesn't help with falling asleep.

The second compalint is that whoever the hotel hired to reglaze the bathtub didn't do a good job. It was one of those older style cast iron tub with porceline enamel. The enamel had chipped off quite a bit and the tub looked like it was very dirty. But it wasn't dirt, it was just the enamel came off the tub.

The shower water fixture came off when I tried to turn the water on, but I was able to put it back and use the shower. I did leave my comments on the Best WEstern Guest Comment card. I hope management had taken care of the problems.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I was forced to stay here because the city was essentially sold out. Superficially the hotel is ok. The rroom had modern linens and a flat screen tv. However, the things that have become common at the Hampton Inns, Hilton Garden Inns and Holiday Inn Expresses are lacking here.

1. Wireless is cranky and slow. The engineering guy told me the system was installed in 2000....did they even have the internet in 2000?

2. 29 TV Channels - like Discovery Channel, out of luck. Like History Channel. Sorry. How about Sci Fi? or Food Network? Nope. Three flavors of ESPN but no CNN or MSNBC. Horrible.

3. Restaurant is terrible. Don't be fooled by the posters positioning it as a "hot" local hang out. It's a dump and the food tends towards the industrial - everything out of freezer bag....

4. Air conditioner is weak. It's not warm here, but the AC could not cool down a stuffy room.

Don't stay here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

Decided on this hotel because of it's close proximity to Fenway Park. Hotel could use some updating. Rooms were nice which is what's important, although the plumbing (toilet) was poor. Had to flush several times and toilet got clogged once. Pressure in the shower was good though. The beds were really comfortable and our room was very quiet at night. Front desk clerks weren't very helpful during our stay. They didn't even want to call me a taxi when I asked them to. They just told me to go outside and wait. The restaurant in the hotel was excellent for dinner and drinks. I would probably stay here again if I had business in the area but otherwise location was not good for sight seeing and exploring the City..

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Brookline
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

I had a really unsatisfactory experience here. Called in advance to make sure that I could park the UHaul van I was traveling with in their lot. Asked about 11' specifically! When we arrived, it turned out that the clearance wasn't high enough, and NO ONE affiliated with the hotel could help us find a spot.

Also, the room was small, the windows looked onto a stairwell, and the beds were hard. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for anyone, truly.

Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

Let me preface this review with one statement: if the hotel were appropriately priced, I would have nothing bad to say about this hotel. However, since the hotel seems to think they are worth $200 per night, I feel that I must speak out about the quality for your dollar. In fact, I feel the hotel is blatantly taking advantage of the fact that there are very few hotels in the nearby area. Someone PLEASE open a nicer hotel nearby. You would gladly have my business!!

I travelled to Boston on business, and as I was attending a meeting at the Harvard Medical school conference center, the Best Western at Longwood was recommended to me. Overall, my impression of this hotel is poor. The staff were very unhelpful (although the concierge was quite charming). When I had no warm water for a shower, I was told they were working on a valve and that there was no good time to do this and it had to be done. My thoughts were, "Why on EARTH would 9 am when many guests are taking their morning showers be the appropriate time?!?!" Couldn't it have waited until later in the afternoon??? Beyond that, the hotel is a bit dated and the staff misinformed. I found that I was often given wrong information concerning tour times and given wrong directions to nearby areas. Although I had no trouble with crime in the area, the doors do have rather large signs warning the guest to make sure they can see all callers at the door, which leads me to believe that they have had trouble in the past.

I will mention a few pros. The hotel offers free wifi and is in an excellent location: walking distance to Fenway, Harvard medical, and the Longwood medical area.

Despite these positives, I cannot in good conscience recommend this hotel to anyone. As I stated previously, if the price somehow matched the quality of my stay, I would not be complaining. I cannot see how this Best Western can justify their price. It actually ANGERS me as it appears they are taking advantage of persons who need to stay in the Longwood area for medical appointments. Since there are few other choices, I have to imagine this hotel charges a four star price for the area alone. However, it would be nice if they tried to at least live up to this four star price.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Ledyard, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

Bryan at the inn went above and beyond to help myself and my daughter to book a room at their hotel. Every hotel in the greater boston area is booked this weekend ! My daughter and I are coming to town to play in a u13 girls basketball tourney with no where to stay ! Bryan searched and some how fit us in for the night. i just want to say what great customer service this was ! I NOW KNOW WHERE WE WILL STAY EVERYTIME WE COME TO BOSTON !! Thanks again.

Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

We stayed one night at the BW Longwood Medical location, as our teenage son had appts. at Dana-Farber and Children's Hospital. The location in relation to these establishments is excellent. So if you are visiting the area for medical care, the hotel will suffice. However, if you are visiting Boston to sightsee or visit a student at a nearby college, I would not recommend this hotel.

The room seemed very run down. The bedroom floor was soaking wet over by the A/C unit. I did notify housekeeping of this when we left so hopefully it will be resolved for the next guests. The bathroom floor seemed sticky - maybe from the cleaner not being thoroughly mopped off? (that is what I am hoping!) - and there was someone else's hair stuck to the back of the bathroom door.

My husband travels for business and stays in hotels 10+ nights a month and he agreed that this hotel was below standard.

The gentleman who checked us in did not greet us with a "hello". He just said, "Checking in?" He ran the credit card and gave us the keys. Never made eye contact.

I hope to find another nearby hotel for the next time we visit the hospitals.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Inn at Longwood Medical? Share your experiences!