“Great location and normal hotel room!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Longwood Medical

You added The Inn at Longwood Medical to your Saves list
The Inn at Longwood Medical
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   342 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115 (Fenway / Kenmore)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Last Minute Specials
Ranked #44 of 77 Hotels in Boston
East Greenbush, New York, USA
“Great location and normal hotel room!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I booked this hotel through Priceline a couple months before my stay, and I originally made the reservation for 2 rooms. The other couple that my wife and I were traveling with could not make it because of Hurricane Sandy, so I was worried that I would not get a refund since made the reservation through Priceline. I worked with Bill at the hotel and he was very accomadating to my request, and said to call Priceline and have them call him at the hotel and he would give them authority to cancel the one room. This all worked out, and Priceline canceled the one room and gave a refund. Without Bill this would not have happened. He also honored my request for a quiet room away from the elevators and ice machine.

Re: the hotel - I was not sure what to expect since there are some negative reviews, but we were very pleased with the hotel from the check-in (checked in 3 hour early!!), to the room (clean and spacious), to the location (5 minute walk to the Green T line!). I am not sure what people expect when booking a hotel that is less expensive than the downtown hotels that cost 2 to 3 times as much, but for what we paid and got, it was worth every penny! My only regret is not parking in the garage next to the hotel - instead I parked at Woodland station and came in, but I would have rather had car there then deal with train back to my car at end of the trip. If traveling on the weekend, don't be afraid to bring car to the garage - it was not that busy on Saturday or Sunday.

Another cool thing is the approximity to a quick breakfast (DD, McD, Brueggers) all right there!

Room Tip: Request away from elevators, and if want to drown out some ambulance noise ask for non roadside.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My sister was recently in Brigham & Women's Hospital, and I found myself in Boston without a car. This hotel was wonderfully convenient, and it would only take me 6 minutes to walk to the hospital. During this short walk I actually passed by 2 other hospitals on the way: Children's Hospital and the Dana Faber facility.

Reservations were a tad difficult to come by, but with perseverance they were able to get me in as the date of surgery approached. Because many people are there to visit loved ones in the hospital, they have a lot of cancellations when the patients are released. So, don't give up if you can't obtain a reservation on your first call.

The room was OK though not luxurious. Like someone else it appeared that something was spilled on the wall and never quite cleaned up properly. I did feel like it was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. Be careful when using the bathtub. For some reason it was elevated in the room I was in, and it was a long step down to the floor. When you're wet, this can be a hazard.

I took advantage of the card for a free continental breakfast and thought it was great. Most mornings I had breakfast in the attached food court and was very grateful to obtain my McDonalds iced coffee each morning.

If a family member had to be in one of these hospitals again, I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Norway, ME
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Located right amongst the Longwood Hospitals, walking distance to all. I arrived, following an ambulance late at night and was put in an apartment, as there was no single room available, despite my reservation. Although they accommodated me at the same price, the apartment, though spacious, was run down, dirty, missing the TV in the bedroom, and seemed to be not really rentable. When I asked about the missing TV, they wondered what had happened to it, and offered to move me to a room, rather than replace it. Due the the extreme reason for even being there, I didn't bother. I also discovered that there was no maid service, and the trash was not even emptied. As I was checking out, 3 days later, in a long line, I discovered that many people ahead of me with reservations were being asked for their confirmation #, and if they didn't have one, were told there was no reservation. It was my impression that due to the unpredictable nature of illnesses, death, etc., that they really don't have a reservation system that one can rely on, rather it's 'first come, first served', and the few people who actually remembered to bring their confirmation # were honored ahead of others. Fortunately, I discovered Hospitality Homes, which is a volunteer housing program, servicing patients and their families in the Boston area. I was provided with another place to stay the same day I applied, and was able to leave this hotel. I highly recommend this service! Thank goodness the medical emergency that brought me there was favorably resolved 11 days later!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Normally I'd start with a big description of the hotel - but this time I may as well just say it: The only thing this hotel has going for it is its location right next door to Boston Children's Hospital. Other than that, there's nothing appealing about this place.

Check in was easy and pleasant but the reception area is unattractive simply because it has no windows. The hotel itself is attached to a shopping center food court and so many of the windows are situated over the food court rather than being external which makes for a gloomy room. Traveling for an appointment with the hospital, we were given a very decent sized room, but we were so tired all we wanted was to eat and sleep so I didn't notice the specifics of the room until later.

The hotel has a restaurant attached to it - between it and the food court - but the food is lousy and very much overpriced and the service was spotty without even a smile. How far wrong can you go with a burger and fries? (Pretty far, as I found out)! A far better option for eating is inside the hospital in one of their restaurants or going to somewhere else - lots of places in the vicinity.

Back up to the room and we soon realized it was an interconnecting room with paper thin walls. That was with thanks to the people in the next room. They weren't talking loudly but any talk was coming straight through the door/wall as though they were with us! We decided to have a hot bath and to bed. Well, we would have had a bath had there been a bath plug. It took a call to reception before a very grumpy member of housekeeping came and more or less shoved a bath plug at me. I got into the bath to see caulking that was years' out-of-date, grubby and moldy. There were long dark hairs on the bathroom floor (not ours) and other less mentionable hairs also. Again, not ours. No waste bin in the bathroom and it was generally a bit dingy with aging towels, the bare minimum of toiletries, etc.

Back out to the room and I am reading in bed. I look up and notice that something had been thrown (or spilt) onto the wallpaper to the left of me. A very large spill which looked a bit sticky. The piping for the room heating and sprinklers were actually in the room and exposed and covered in dust and dirt. They came down from the ceiling. I have asthma and was having a good old sneeze by the time I'd been in there an hour.

Now I could say it was really awful, but it wasn't. It was just a room that had seen a lot of action and had never been updated. I'm giving it three stars because the reception staff were really pleasant, the bed was comfortable and because of the location BUT if you are staying at the hotel with a sick child who has immune system issues - this won't be the place for you. This hotel desperately needs an upgrade in every department. Until then, I fear the reviews will continue to be poor. Why? It advertises itself as a Best Western "Plus". Unfortunately the few regular Best Western's I have been to have far better facilities.

Tip: If you are staying there because of a hospital matter, you can get the hospital rate at the hotel, but you will need to take proof of your hospital appointment for their records. If you have a car - do not park at the hotel which is expensive and time restricted. Have it valet parked at the hospital. The hospital desk will stamp your parking receipt and the parking is infinitely cheaper. Another plus is that they will bring your car down to you if you need to store luggage and will return it to its car park spot at no extra charge. They call this an "down and up". The hospital parking is a 24/7 facility and the valet aspect (which was minimal in cost) was a real bonus and was used by all those families that I could see who had children with mobility issues or wheelchair requirements.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a real window facing the street NOT one facing the food court. I doubt there'l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
hood river
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Sometimes when the world seems so cruel and everyone/thing is out to make your life difficult, a kind caring individual like Bill from the Inn at Longwood Medical restores your faith in humanity. I know this sounds dramatic, but I was desperately trying to find housing for my father and his wife while he received care at the Dana Farber Cancer Center, and was coming up with nothing. Enter the Inn at Longwood. This hotel offers reasonable medical rates in a city of $3-$500 dollar per night hotels. But this is not the best part! That came when my father was moved to another city, and in the chaos we forgot to cancel the reservation at Longwood! A week later I called the hotel and explained my situation to "Bill" who kindly reversed the charges on my CC for the nights we did not stay. I honestly did not expect this result, after all it was our mistake, but Bill has a giant heart and I can't wait to stay at this hotel when I travel to Boston.

Room Tip: I have not seen the rooms, but the images online look clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed in the hotel while my friend had surgery and you can't beat it for convenience. Parking is attached to the hotel and you can easily walk to several hospitals. The staff was helpful and I was able to store my bags the last day while waiting for my friend to be discharged. The continental breakfast was small but adequate, and the service was quick which is important if you need to eat and get to the hospital. There are many restaurants within walking distance, too. I would definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel is very centrally located if you have business to do around the Harvard Medical Campus - everything is in walking distance. Yet this is almost the only positive about this hotel - apart from the very friendly front desk staff. The rest of the hotel is not worth mentioning - tired rooms, filthy bathroom with mold on the ceiling, dirty carpets that have not been vacuumed for a while...really nothing to brag about. I stayed in a room with as tiny window out to the food court - for 200USD & tax extremely overpriced. Would definitely choose another hotel next time!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Inn at Longwood Medical? Share your experiences!