“Beware the Bedbugs” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Longwood Medical

You added The Inn at Longwood Medical to your Saves list
The Inn at Longwood Medical
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   342 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115 (Fenway / Kenmore)   |
Ranked #46 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Boston
“Beware the Bedbugs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Best Western At 342 Longwood Ave from Monday April 9 checking out on Saturday , April 14. On the 7th floor. I spent all my time either sleeping at the hotel or staying inside at Brigham and Women's hospital, only going outside to walk between the 2 buildings. On Friday morning I noticed itching on my left lower shin, and found a line of inflammation and 2 small but noticeable bites. I also found a similar bite and inflammation and bite on my right wrist. As bed bug bites usually become noticeable after 9 days, it may be that more bites appear. Interesting to note, during that week the Hotel changed all the mattresses and box springs on the 7th floor. The mattresses and box springs were thrown into the Hotel dumpster, which is huge and open to Binney Street. The doors to rhe loading/dumpster dock are always open.That night, on the way to the Hospital I saw people lined up taking these mattresses and box springs, loading them on top of their cars. There was a man with a phone standing on the loading dock organizing the distribution, it was unclear if this man was a hotel employee as he was not wearing a Hotel uniform. I believe these were infested mattresses.
If you need to stay near loved ones, the location is super. Take your own sheets.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Lenox, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Home away from away, we needed to be next to Brigham's Woman's Hospital as a loved one has surgery and we spent 11 nights at the Best Western Inn at Longwood. From Angel, to Jeneh, and ALL of the wonderful employees behind the desk - to the housekeeping staff. Never once did I feel uncomfortable or scared, or worried being alone in a big city. Thank you Best Western Longwood!!!! xxoo

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have refridgerators. The Queen rooms on floor seven are awesome!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

This hotel is in the hospital district, called Longwood Medical center. It is 2 miles from Copley Square in the main part of Boston. It is less than 1 mile from Fenway Park.
We've stayed here twice, and have found it to be very clean and with all the basics.
The staff is very nice. They even let us check in early, at 9am (which was great after a red-eye flight).
Just beneath the hotel is a "food court" and CVS, which caters to the hospital staff and visitors. It's very convenient for quick food and anything you might need at CVS.
Short walk to 2 different "T" lines (boston's subway), which gets you to downtown Boston in about 10 minutes. It's also near a long serpentine park, which is great for running or walking.
We'll be back.

Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

My family and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for the Boston Marathon. The rate ($189/night) was certainly right considering just about every hotel in Boston was booked during this period. We were upgraded to a huge one bedroom suite, which was AWESOME because my husband was running in the marathon and we were travelling with our one year old son. I felt like the hotel really took extra special care of us because my husband was running in the marathon. Having the extra space made a huge difference for us so that everyone could have their own space and get a good night sleep. I thought the bed was really comfortable and the linens were nice and soft.

The suite itself was certainly in need of an update, but it had everything we needed (except central heat/air). It had a living room, dining room and kitchen. Our room faced the construction side, but we did not hear any noise at all. The only noise we heard was from ambulances. This area of the hotel we were in (entrance from inside of the galleria/food court) was very private and quiet. Speaking of the galleria/food court, it was great to have some quick food options in the hotel and there is a CVS right there too. I thought the overall location was good because it was close to a few different T stations and you could easily walk to Fenway Park (as well as the route to the Boston Marathon).

I also thought the service at the hotel was good. All of the employees I interacted with were polite and pleasant.

There were a few things I didn't like about the hotel, but they were relatively minor.

1 - The water pressure in the shower was just sad.
2 - I didn't like how the room had in-window AC units. It was almost 90 degrees while we were in town.
3 - Someone in the room next to us put a finished tray of food outside of the door (presumably from room service) and the tray stayed outside the door for over 24 hours. It may still be sitting there now.
4 - The internet service in the hotel was complimentary, but the signal was very weak and I had a tough time connecting to it and staying connected to it.

It was a good experience overall. My husband stayed at this hotel (alone) for the 2011 marathon and had a nice experience then too, which is why we stayed here again this year.

RI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I want to start off by saying I didnt report any of our issues because I was only staying at the hotel due to my daughter having a procedure at CHB which was my main focus. Now that we are home I can post my experience. For one the price (and I understand its Boston) for hospital families is very high at $180 a night. My 2 night stay cost me the same as 2 plane tickets to Florida would. Secondly we arrived in our room and it was a bit chilly. I discovered the windows were open. I went over to shut them and lock them and found the lock was broken. The "fix" was a slide latch into a hole drilled into the sill that didnt match up. So the window didnt lock. At least you couldnt open it wide since they drilled two screws into the window to stop that. Needless to say, window not locking tight meant draft all night and lovely sounds of the rescues and buses and construction all night long. So much for resting. We tried to turn the heat on to warm the room up and alas the heat blew out cold air. We woke up the day after checking and started our showers and we discovered the shower didnt drain. I should have called down to the front desk but we had early am appts and I didnt want to be late. The most minor thing we found was the bedside lamp was not screwed together at all and if you touched it it wobbled and tipped sideways. I am very disappointed that this was what I got for the amount I paid. The only upside was the convience to the hospital.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here make sure to choose a room NOT on the Longwood side so you can get some sle...
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

If you plan to stay at this hotel in the next few weeks you should request a room on the Longwood Ave side of the building. Dana Farber is rebuilding a highrise right next door. They have permission to perform periodic demolition work through the night. Hotel management said they were not notified in advance of my stay, the hotel was booked, and they could not move me. Concrete rubble down a two story chute into a metal dumpster from 11:30 PM until well past 1:30AM with heavy equipment sounding "in-reverse" beeping alarms. General demolition continued through til morning. General Manager called in the AM to apologize, but nothing was offered to compensate for the completely sleepless night. Disappointing. I have stayed here many times in the past several years and always found it to be a good value. Not this time.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Longwood Ave side of the hotel are away from construction at the adjacent hospital.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
New Milford, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

While visiting Boston this weekend, I mistakenly left my phone in our hotel room. Upon my return home, I received a call from Noah, the Housekeeping Supervisor telling me they found it. Noah assured me that he would overnight mail it to me, and like magic, it appeared, safely packed, on my front door the next day!

Not only was a room clean and roomy, but the staff went above the call of duty to return my phone!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Inn at Longwood Medical? Share your experiences!