“Book it, Danno!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“Book it, Danno!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Nothing like paying good money to voluntarily stay in a jail.....a historic jail, at that. Visit the wonderful restoration of the former Charles St Jail and enjoy the tongue in cheek decor (restaurant named Clink, bar named Alibi). The design is really nice, the rooms in an adjacent tower with all the details you could want. Even my husband took note of the quality of the shampoo, and that's saying a lot! The staff are friendly and the location is ideal - right across the street from the Red Line, walking distance to most of downtown Boston.

Green Features: Very good practices with options for all residents.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My spouse needed to go for imaging at Massachusetts General Hospital and the Liberty is next door to the hospital - which made it very convenient for us. Although the hospital visit was important, we often stay at the Liberty just to get away and have a wonderful time. The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful - with lovely guest rooms and lobby and a bar area that is always busy. That said, what really makes the Liberty a unique experience is the fact that the people who are on staff there are the nicest and most helpful group we have ever encountered. They go out of their way for their guests, are always pleasant and do their utmost to ensure that your stay is memorable.

Room Tip: Try for a city view or a room in the original jailhouse.
Foxboro, Massachusetts, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My husband surprised me with a night stay here for our anniversary and all I can say is WOW. From the door men, to the front desk to the bell boys, everyone was so pleasant and helpful. On check in, you received a glass of champagne and/or pink sparkling water. The decor is as it was when it was a jail house, alot of things were kept, making it an interesting place to walk around and explore. Our room was on the 10th floor with a sweeping view of the Boston sky line. We had dinner at The Clink and even though my dinner was not very good, everyone in our party said theirs was the best, the mussels and oysters especially.

Room Tip: The higher, the better for a good view
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Pros: Beautiful entry, great concierge welcoming with champagne. Fantastic conversion of an old jail including a trendy bar. Free coffee in the morning. Plenty of plush seats in lobby. Very good service to leave bags or retrieve bags from luggage room. Valet parking easy and good service of porters. Robes and slippers ! Molton Brown products. Separate tub and shower nice.

Cons: Shower pressure is pretty wimpy. It can also be noisy - can hear when neighbors get up in the am to shower, walls thin. Can hear conversations from hallway.

Would stay again if price was good. It is quite expensive but that's Boston.

Green Features: This is a starwood program so if you forego service, you can retrieve points. I like that practice.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The history and decor is very unique and interesting and the staff for the most part were very friendly. The room that we stayed in was just sub par for a luxury hotel at this price point. There was a nice chaise lounge chair that would have been relaxing to sit and read while admiring the view, however it was crammed into a tiny space next to the bed and wall.
The bathroom area was beautiful and had nice amenities. The drains in the sink, shower & toilet (5th floor) where very slow and we were concerned that they would over flow whenever we used them. Minor detail but one that made the stay that much less appealing.
The Catwalk area was nice to sit at night and enjoy a cocktail. The atmosphere was very up beat and lively. We really enjoyed that after a long day of travel and sight seeing.
Our room was very close to the elevator on the 5th floor, unfortunately that area seemed to be a meeting place for people going to their rooms after the Hotel club and/or special events were over because it was extremely loud as if the door was made of paper. If staying here request a room that is not near the elevator area or you will not get much sleep. This was something that I did not think would be a problem at a luxury hotel.
The bed was very comfortable with lots of comfy pillows and luxury linens. If only the room was quiet I might have been able to enjoy and good nights sleep there.
For the price it was decent but I might re think staying there again.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the elevator areas
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

My friends and I stayed at the hotel for only one night. We didn't even know that it was the old jail until we arrived! The architecture is beautiful. The lobby is something to look at. They even have "jail rooms" that guests can spend the night in.
When we were checking in, we were told we couldn't bring in alcohol from our car. The valet told us it was illegal, but it's not. I do understand that since they have a few bars inside the hotel, they'd rather have people spend money.
Our room was on the larger side for sure. The bathroom was huge, with a separate tub and shower. That's just what I like!
When we were checking out, the woman behind the desk was a bit rude and when rolled her eyes and have us a dirty look as we were walking away. I know this because I wasn't at the desk, I was in a chair watching. She then proceeded to gossip to her coworker. I thought that was really rude.
All in all if stay there again for sure. Great location, and beautiful hotel.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I was so excited for my weekend in Boston! I got in early so I left my bags with the front desk, a woman checked me in but my room wasnt ready so I headed out into the city. When I came back later that night I was handed my key and went off to my room. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, I was staying in a small section of the hotel that was LOUD and was told after I checked out I should have been WARNED about where my room was located and if I would even want to stay in that section of the hotel. So thank you to the woman who checked me in and Stephanie for handing me my key that Friday night and not letting me know this! I didnt sleep ALL weekend. If I were you, Id choose another beautiful hotel in Boston, there are many!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
BLDOR, Director of Rooms at The Liberty Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
We were really excited that you chose us for your weekend in Boston, and I’m sorry that we did not entirely meet your expectations. You absolutely should have been informed about our nightlife when assigned a room in our jail section. I apologize and hope you will return knowing what occurred is not our standard. Your feedback is appreciated and will help us improve!

Kind regards,
Brian L
Director of Rooms

Been to The Liberty Hotel? Share your experiences!