“Not what I expected.” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not what I expected.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

I live in Boston and was staying here as my holiday party was here.Check in was great,had a glass of champagne. The TV did not work so we thought it was the clicker. The fellow brought up some batteries but it was not that. TV had to be reset. There is a separate shower and tub. The shower had pumps on the wall for shampoo/conditioner/ shower gel. I felt this was tacky for an American Express Fine Resort. The make up mirror did not work. Then I went to plug the hair dryer in and the plug did not work. I had to dry my hair in the hallway as that was the only other mirror in the room. When I was ready to leave for my party, I called and told them that if they did not come and fix the plug, my husband would have to lay on the floor to shave the next morning. When I came back to the room, the plug was fixed. Bed was comfy.When I got up the next morning and opened the curtains, the dust along the desk and bureau was so thick, I wrote please clean me on the surfaces three times. Had breakfast and lunch at Clink. Food and service were both good. For the price I paid with taxes and parking over $400, I doubt I will ever stay there again.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Indonesian first
Wellfleet, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

First; let me say that we love this hotel. Wonderful corner room; great location; great vibe in the hotel.
However, a snafu at checkin occurred which should not have happened. For a 60th birthday, we reserved a wonderful corner suite; room 601, for three nights. We did arrive at 2PM, a bit early. At that time, we were told a rush would be put on the room. We had a drink and checked again at 3:15PM. At that time, we were told the occupants (Platinum Members) requested a 4PM checkout. When I asked why this would be allowed when there were incoming guests, no answer was provided.
Long story short; the room was not available until 6PM; 3 hours after checkin. We were never asked if we had plans and needed a place to get ready, etc. What if we had had an event planned at 6PM? We were given 2 drink cards. During this time, we were told at all times that a rush was on the room. Then; at checkout, we had $103.00 on the bill for bar drinks that we didn't use; clearly charges that were attributable to the prior occupants. I was told this would be taken off of the bill.
I had also sent an email to the General Manager regarding the situation. At this writing, just before checkout, there had been no reply.
So; we do really enjoy everything about this hotel, and plan to stay here again. But, the checkin problem should not happen in a hotel of this quality. If not corrected, regular members/frequent members won't be becoming Platinum members in the future.

Room Tip: Confirm your reservations! Wonderful corner suites with city and river views.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

I did not stay at the hotel but went for a Friday night function during the holiday season. It took over 30 minutes from arriving at the hotel until the valet staff got to the car. Apparently nobody told the parking crew that every function room in the place was booked. Retrieving the car at the end of the night was no better. For some reason I hoped that management might have realized there would be an end of night rush and scrambled some more workers in. But no! An hour wasted will make us sure to not book this venue for next year.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed here Friday to Saturday. Upon arrival we realized I made the reservation for 2015 by mistake. Z at the front desk was more than accommodating in getting us a room while our SPG reservation went through. Love this hotel and the excellent service especially with the nice touch of complimentary champagne at check in!

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Beverly Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The service at night should be re examined. As far as valet, bellman etc it's very do it yourself after dark but the hotel was great.

Room was clean, everyone was friendly and full of knowledge about the history of the jail

Great hotel lots of great design!

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
BLDOR, Director of Rooms at The Liberty Hotel, responded to this review, 2 days ago
We appreciate your feedback and for sharing this review with us, thank you very much.

Concord, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This lovely boutique-type hotel right in the middle of Boston is full of charm and hospitality. After registering, one is invited to pause, sip some champagne and just relax in the over stuffed chairs in the lobby. I was there with a friend going through two days of testing at Mass General. The hotel staff knew her situation and anticipated her every need, to the point of just gently knocking on the door offering ice. Deep bath tubs with surrounding candles (battery operated) allowed my friend to relax and rest her mind while over looking the sparkle and energy of Boston at night. Comfy beds, dreamy linens and a pleasant and roomy interior was another unexpected pleasure. The staff is top notch. Above and beyond any you will find in Boston, Because of my friends limitations we were personally chauffeured to a restaurant on her wish list. However, it is rare we ever leave the Liberty, Scampo is an award winning restaurant and the menu is fabulous. A poured drink from the bar is generous and tastes like a real drink from your own home.

Room Tip: Just ask, the staff tries to accommodate. There really isn't a bad room.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
"Above and beyond any you will find in Boston" - what an incredible compliment, thank you very much! I'm so happy to hear that this was such a comfortable stay and genuinely appreciate your kind words.

Cooper City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

What a great place. An old jail that has been converted to a hotel. There is still a lot of the historyhere and very unique. The staff was professional and they passed out champagne at the check in. We went out for dinner and when we came back it was as if the lounge area had transformed into a night club. Be sure to read up on the dress codes if you plan to visit the bar or restaurant.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
BLDOR, Director of Rooms at The Liberty Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at The Liberty and are a fan of the hotel's unique history. Thank you for sharing this review with us!

Director of Rooms

Been to The Liberty Hotel? Share your experiences!