“SPG Platinum Member Review” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #38 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dover, MA
“SPG Platinum Member Review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

HI, Im a Platinum, Lifetime Gold member of the SPG Program. I stayed here for a baseball boys weekend in Aug 2013. The hotel is located on the North side of Beacon Hill and right next to MGH Hospital. It is a very hip/cool hotel. The lobby space is wonderful wiht huge soaring ceilings,tiers (it was on old jail) and huge chandelers. The bar and checkin is located right in this space. I went to checkin was upgraded to a cool corner room with 2 beds. But the room was not ready as it was 2pm. I did leave my number but noone called to let me know when the room was ready. I went back around 4pm and was able to checkin with no line. There is no seperate gold/plat checkin. I think they should have one IMHO.

The room was very nice with windows looking onto the Charles River/Beacon Hill and back Bay. The room itself was not huge, but the bathroom was. They had nice Molton Brown amentie and robes and slippers. There is a very small work out area located just off the elevators on the main floor. There is valet parking which runs $45/day OUCH!. Ortherwise the redline "t" is right outside the hotel and you can take t to the airport or other parts of the city. The hotel is located right enxt to Beacon Hill which is a great are of Boston with shops,rests and bars. Try the sevens bar for a low key local place to have a beer and try to eat at Paramount on Charles street for breakfast/luch or dinner. Its a great neighborhood place with great freshmade food. Be aware lines can be long for breakfast and dinner. Walk the coblestone streets of Beacon Hill and look at the old Federal style buidlings and you can see even where our Sec. of State lives!! PS I lived in Beacon Hill for 6 years before I moved to the burbs.

In the evenings on thursday-sunday the hotel gets very packed with clubbers/bar flies etc..so just be prepared when you come home at 10pm froma dinner you will see the lobby packed! Its a cool scene.

The hotel is not a cheap palce to stay but its very unquie in its artiecture and Scampo is a good palce for dinner in the hotel. We also did have breakfast at Clink and that was great also.

Please let me know if you have any questions

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Indonesian first
Annapolis Royal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The hotel was very unique, the "jail" concept was super cool. The rooms were very spacious, clean and the decor was great. Front desk added little extras upon check-in that I enjoyed.
Location was good for walking but difficult for driving. Valet Parking was off site so accessibility to your car was impossible.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed here for only one night but enjoyed every bit of it! I planned a last minute trip to boston during the summer and could not find a hotel with availability for each night i was there - so i had to hotel hop a bit. So the night before i stayed here - i was in Cambridge at the Charles Hotel Harvard Square. Although i had a very large suite at the Charles - it was so drab compared to the Liberty! I had a king bed at the liberty and can not say the room was small by any means (I stay in New York a lot and those rooms are small!!). Plus - The liberty greets you with a glass of champagne :)
As soon as I checked in - i left for a nice walk along the river - very convenient! Great sunset from the docks!
I had dinner at Clink during Restaurant Week and really enjoyed my summer vegetable salad but the black pasta was not so good. The pasta was well undercooked :( but who can complain about the taza chocolate ice cream sundae for dessert? :) My friend had the burrata appetizer and the bavette steak and enjoyed every bit of both!
The next morning i went to the gym - which was packed and one of the elliptical machines was not working but made the most of it anyway then up to my room for room service - which was perfect!It took a bit longer than i hoped but it was worth the wait :) They serve coffee in the lobby and provided complimentary bottles of water in the room
I would absolutely recommend this pace to anyone staying in boston!

Green Features: just like every other hotel they have a linen reuse program. Other than that, I am not sure of other "green" strategies they have implemented.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Morrisville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

It is a nice hotel. It used to be a prison. They served us a glass of champagne checking in. They had a notice on how much they care about the environment in regards to washing towels and sheets. However, they used two Incandescent light bulbs in lamps in the room. It is close to mass transit.

Green Features: In regards to the towels and bed sheets, environmentally friendly but not in regards to the light bulbs.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

On a recent trip to New England, we stayed in Boston for two nights at the Liberty Hotel. It is advertised as a luxury hotel. I do not agree with this assessment. The hotel is an old jail that has been re-done and now is a hotel. The architecture is intersting and different. The rooms are a bit small but comfortable. We had no view. We are SPG members but got no upgrade or recognition for membership. But nothing special. The bathroom was adequate and had a separate shower and tub, but it was not luxurious. There wer no ammenities at all to enhance the stay and make me think I was in a luxury prpoerty. The hotel was clean and comfortable but not worth the price per night. The location was great, next to Mass General and walking distance to many of the tourist attractions we wanted to see. I will choose a different hotel when I return to Boston.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BLDOR, Director of Rooms at The Liberty Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed our proximity to attractions and also appreciate your praise on the cleanliness of the property. I am sorry that you were not recognized as a SPG member; it is definitely important to us to make sure our SPG guests are acknowledged and upgraded whenever possible. Perhaps if an upgrade was available and you were acknowledged you would have rated your experience more positively. Hope we see you back and look forward to improving your experience!

Kind regards,
Brian
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and I ended a trip to the Boston area to visit family by staying at The Liberty Hotel for one night. This renovated city jail provided a fun atmosphere, with lots of history on how the property came to be this cool hotel. Unfortunately we did not dine in any of the restaurants, so I have no feedback on those. This is a dog-friendly hotel, and there's even a doggy happy hour, which is cool! The entire staff was very friendly and accommodating. The bellman, Mark, helped us with our bags when we checked in and remembered us and where we were traveling home to the following afternoon when we were checking out. Our room was nice. The bathroom was very spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Overall, we had an excellent stay at The Liberty and are looking forward to staying here again on our next trip to the area!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night and were very impressed. The staff from hotel to restaurants (Scampo and Clink) were wonderful and ready to meet any of our needs. Without hesitation staff met our need for early check in of our car only and late checkout for us as well. Food was excellent in Scampo. Architecture interesting. Coffee bar in lobby although we did not use was a nice addition. Stylish decor room was grand deluxe city view (view was amazing). The only disappointment was bedding with I felt did not have a luxe soft feel. I would definitely return great location

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Liberty Hotel? Share your experiences!