“Location carries this establishment” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #31 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Singapore
“Location carries this establishment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Other than that, there is nothing so special about it. Booked there to catch the 4th firework over the Charles. Which was really nice. We were told we can go to the rooftop for the show on the night of when we book, but found out on the day that the rooftop has a private event happening.

The hotel is marketed as a cool hip place certainly for the younger crowd. There are several bars on the premises with waitresses wearing very mini skirts. Nothing classy about it. But the place was crowded those night we were there. There is even a Happy Hour on certain day of the week for pet owners to get together and mingle.

The room we had was small despite asking for a suite. The amenity is OK. There is no Nespresso machine or anything to that effect in the room. There is a coffee cart in the lobby every morning to compensate. Coffee was bad quality and ran our at time.

Location wise, it's nearby the T stop, walkings distance to a very nice Wholefood and some decent restaurants. Being an out of towner, noticed the several hospital concentrated within the area. Wonder why historically. Also given that the heightened security issue after the Boston Marathon bombing, most of the roads around the area were closed off during the 4th event, so we spent a lot of time looping around trying to get out or back to the hotel after our outings. And if you're not familiar with Boston, the road is confusing and the GPS system is helpful (but not when the roads are closed off for security reason!)

Been there and done that...no desire for a return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Charles River otherwise you might be seeing a hospital fall.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Indonesian first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I loved everything about this hotel. They really pay attention to details and have a lot to offer their guests. We arrived early at around 12PM and were checked in immediately with no issues. On top of that, we were offered complimentary champagne for the trip up to our room! The room was gorgeous with a huge bathroom and super comfy beds with luxury linens. We tried to take advantage of as much as we could in our short stay. We were able to extend our checkout, twice-- at first until 2PM and then to 3PM with no issues. We rented complimentary bikes and rode alongside the Charles River. If we had enough time, we could have also rented kayaks, also compliments of the hotel. I also love that the hotel is so trendy, on a Saturday night, all the bars in the hotel were packed--it was the place to be!

The service was top-notch across the board, from valet to front desk to even the server at adjoining restaurant, Scampo (which btw, was delicious). Everyone we had contact with wanted to ensure our stay was anything but amazing. I love that for such an upsacle and luxurious hotel, there wasn't a pretentious vibe. I think the main reason I loved Boston so much was because of my stay at this hotel. I highly reccommend the Liberty Hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
BLDOR, Director of Rooms at The Liberty Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Wow, what an amazing review! This review really sums up what makes The Liberty such a special place I’m glad you had such a fantastic stay. Thank you and we hope to see you back at The liberty on your next trip to Boston!

Buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Everything about this hotel is wonderful. All of the staff are great (and not just the ones who greet you with champagne on check in. Late check out ? No problem. Our room had a view of Boston that included boats on The Charles, the Hancock and Prudential Buildings and even the infamous Citgo sign. It is only a short 10 minute walk to Quincy Market and for longer ventures, the Red Line of the T is just across the street. But here is the best part. The hotel is a converted prison from the 19th century (although most of the rooms are part of a connected annex, they incorporate the theme of the main building. Do Not Disturb door hangers are a handcuff and large key with sign "in solitary". The bar on the 1st floor has prison bars, arrest photos of your favorite stars and the outside is called "The Yard" (as in prison yard).
Kudos for a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: High Floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking time to write this review. Our unique history certainly lends a special character to The Liberty – we couldn’t agree more! Our architecture and design team put a great deal of effort and detailing into the renovation, with touches such as original brick and jail cell façades woven throughout the property. Please come back and see us again soon, we look forward to your return visit!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I'll start with the obvious. The public spaces at the Liberty Hotel are contemporary, stunning, grand and perfectly blended with character and history. I love the idea of reusing an old jail which once held people captive as a hotel where one can come and go. They have done an incredible job refurbishing the granite structure to create a soaring lobby and public spaces. The jailhouse theme is cleverly carried through to services and amenities.

The free glass of champers on arrival is a welcome and hospitable touch after a long drive and a GPS that can't quite find the entrance but instead sends us in endless loop past the entrance several times (Perhaps my fault, there's an almost impossible and immediate lane change to make...depending which route you come in on). We eventually get there. The valet circle is chaos with only three vehicles. Despite my refusal of help with my bags, my trunk is being popped open and the bags are being put on the sidewalk.

As we approach the desk, the guest services agent welcomes us by name which is always welcoming (if not a bit alarming, technology is wonderful, everyone has earpieces, I assume the valet shared communicated our info...or the FBI runs the joint...clever). We're staying two nights on Starwood points - check the Starwood Preferred Guest website for booking polices, membership privileges and entitlements, it's all pretty clear there how things work (do not expect membership benefits or privileges if you book though a third party discount booking site).

Our upgraded room is in a newly constructed tower built to house guest rooms (as only 18 guest rooms are in the original jailhouse). Our room is fairly standard, yet contemporary and clean with a bright courtyard view, and provides the expected amenities; Molton Brown branded bath products, Frette robes and towels are a pleasant surprise in the spacious and well appointed bathroom.

Even the bed linens are lovely, but comfortable sleep escapes us at the Liberty. The mattress ensures I feel my partner's every nocturnal move. This is surprising and disappointing given the branding and retail effort Starwood puts into mattresses at properties like Weston ("cloud beds") or Sheraton ("sweet sleeper" beds).

I do sleep lightly, but I will now and forever travel with a roll of black electrical tape to cover the growing number of LED lights on telecommunications, TV and WIFI equipment. This is not a problem unique to the Liberty, but this night's lights are the straw that break this camel's back. When night falls all of the accessories basically light up room and I have to turn off, turn over or cover things to try and achieve darkness. Unfortunately at the Liberty the drapes (in our room) don't have a valance and don't meet the wall tightly, so light spills in and a comfortable level of darkness is impossible.

For a new build and luxury collection property I had high hopes that the room's construct would be superior to that of a roadside discount brand...it is not. The AC unit is effective, but one of the loudest I've encountered. Those guests and staff who choose to let doors self-close (slam close) send a wall shaking thunder though the halls. Walls and windows are thin; noise from outdoors, the hall and neighbouring rooms pierce through into our room. I know this never goes away completely, but I've stayed in enough properties to know it can be better...much better.

Save your points and money...come for a look, take in the history and clever architecture over a drink or dinner but get a good, if not better night of sleep, elsewhere. The Liberty is guilty of and charged with overall disappointment.

Room Tip: Save your points and money...come for a look, take in the history and clever architecture over a dri...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
BLDOR, Director of Rooms at The Liberty Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
We greatly appreciate your detailed review of your recent stay. Your impressions of our property are shared by many including all of us who are proud to work at The Liberty. The special touches that you noted including welcome champagne and Molton Brown are iconic to our guest experience and we’re glad that you enjoyed them. We apologize that you did not have a comfortable night’s sleep as a result of the mattress and the HVAC noise. We understand the importance of a quality night’s sleep and we sincerely hope that you’ll return again and allow us the opportunity to redeem ourselves!

Wicklow, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I was slightly disappointed by the Liberty Hotel we had two rooms one being a corner suite which was much smaller than expected and I am not sure worth the extra money although it had a very nice bathroom!

We ate in Clink which was overpriced and small portions but also ate in Scampo (their Italian restaurant) which was excellent.

• Stayed July 2013
pioneer valley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I loved my stay at the Liberty earlier in 2013. The free champagne upon arrival, the gorgeous lobby which was hosting an art show, the great tiled bathroom in my room, and a perfect location near Charles Street and the Commons. One of my favorite hotels in Boston. Give me Liberty! But do they still give free champagne upon check in?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Alameda, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

After a long flight from California I was greeted with a a glass of champagne to take the edge off. In fact It was so good I got another glass... The concierge pointed out that Boston was a great walking city with most of the historical sites close by. Fenway park is 10 minutes away. I was also pleasantly surprised to see my name on the television when I turned it on. The Clink restaurant had some good food. And I liked learning about the history of the hotel. I felt like I was in good company being that Babe Ruth spent a night or two there. The Front Door team got cabs to you quick. In all it was a very smooth experience.

Green Features: They have an excellent kitchen energy management system installed. So they are doing their part moving toward the green energy movement.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Glad to hear that you had a pleasant experience at The Liberty from start to finish. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

Brian

Been to The Liberty Hotel? Share your experiences!