“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
UK
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2009

We stayed at the Intercontinental in Boston as part of our honeymoon before venturing up to Bar Harbor, ME. The check in staff were one of the best I've come across on my travels over the last few years - always a smile, nothing was a problem. I must also say that all the staff were excellent and a credit to the Intercontinental Group from the doormen to Alison the Concierge. We had split our honeymoon with one night in Boston with a few days up North then coming back for a couple of nights on our return trip. The first night we were lucky enough to have a waterfront/building view (suite) the second part we had a double room overlooking the Boston Fire Station. Both views great! It had a great gym/pool/bar (good Guinness) and an excellent atmosphere which in my humble opinion you sometimes don't get in the larger hotel chains. Can't wait to come back to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
ICBoston, Carrie Flynn, Asst. Marketing Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
Congratulations! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us for your honeymoon. At InterContinental Boston we strive to stand out from competitors by delivering authentic and enriching experiences through a staff that is always “in the know”. We make every effort to offer our guests genuine and personal service. I will make sure to forward your kind words to Alison and the rest of the front office team. I am glad you enjoyed the upscale amenities of the hotel, and we look forward to seeing you again at the InterContinental Boston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

My husband and I stayed here and found the room to be very clean. The sushi bar downstairs was great as well as the cafe. Close to the New England Aquarium, Fanueil Hall, Children's Museum, and Little Italy. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the InterContinental Boston. I am glad you had a chance to visit our specialty sushi bar, Sushi-Teq, as well as Miel "Brasserie Provençale", Boston’s first Provence themed brasserie. I hope the convenient location of the hotel allowed you to visit some of Boston’s many historic attractions. Thank you for choosing the InterContinental!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2009

I spent last weekend at the Intercontinental. By booking a last minute getaway, I got a great rate. They were kind enough to let me check in several hours early, even though I had not requested to do so in advance. The first room they put me in was nice enough, if unexceptional (I don't know why I still expect chain hotels, even nice ones, to be otherwise). Although my view was a construction site, I was not particularly bothered, as I didn't expect workers to be there at night or on Sunday. The room had a great bathroom, very clean with a big, deep tub. There was also a sturdy umbrella in the closet, a nice touch which turned out to be a necessary accessory the first day there.

All was well until I was going to go to sleep that evening, and realized that a previous guest had thrown up on either the bed or one of the pillows. I moved to the other bed in the room and was able to sleep, but it was again the first thing I smelled when I got up in the morning.

Before heading out that day, I asked at the desk if I could be moved and left a cell phone number. Within a couple of hours I received a very gracious and apologetic message from one of the managers. She moved me to one of the waterfront rooms on a higher floor, which was quite bright and spacious, and of course had a gorgeous view! Things occasionally are wrong with hotel stays no matter what the cost or reputation of the establishment, of course, but the difference between average and poor hotels and good ones is this kind of prompt and courteous response to rectify any issues. The Intercontinental did a great job on this.

Other than that, the location is fine -- it is a couple of minutes walk to Downtown Crossing or the Common, or you can check out the nice new parkway that resulted from the Big Dig, starting right outside the hotel's door. The waterfront is pretty, and the hotel has a pleasant seating area arranged with tables, chairs and umbrellas so you can eat outdoors and enjoy the water view. I didn't visit any of the restaurants, or the spa (appointments do fill up, so don't wait til the last second!) although it looked quite nice.

Overall, I'd say avoid room 522, and you should probably have a pretty good experience here!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review the InterContinental Boston. I am glad you had a good experience and that you were provided with prompt and courteous service. I would like to apologize again for the inconvenience involved in your initial room. I am happy to hear it was resolved appropriately. I hope you will choose the InterContinental for your next visit to Boston.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2009

Given the price paid ($240+ per night), I expect everything to work well. It was hardly that way. One phone in the room did not work; the TV remote didn't work well, a hook was missing from the bathroom door, and there was a rotten plum in the fruit bowl. Every time I showered, a lot of water leaked onto the floor. There was confusion over the internet services available; the ethernet did not work. Voicemail was problematic. Those are the minuses.

The pluses: great central location, great waterfront view, comfortable bed, nice-sized room, good gym. Service was very good. If the items in the first paragraph were working during my stay, the place would've had a great rating.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review the InterContinental Boston. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I can assure you that the issues you had with your in-room amenities is not our standard. I hope you were able to bring these matters to our attention, for I assure you our reliable maintenance and housekeeping staff can resolve these problems immediately. I am glad you enjoyed the convenient location and luxuriating accommodations of the hotel.
Paarl, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

This is a pretty good luxury hotel. Everything seems to work, the rooms are nice, the employeees are attentive, the bar and public areas are welcoming and upscale.The waterfront location is good - for some. Our room had a view of the building alongside, which was uninspiring. Being in Boston, it is possible to get to most places you want to go in a few minutes. There is just one area this hotel lets itself down. Why on earth do they feel the need to charge $15 per day for internet access? The smallest hotels, bars and restaurants see free Wifi as a standard part of their offering these days but the Boston Intercontinental charges $15. What's that all about?

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your review of the InterContinental Boston. I am glad you enjoyed our pleasant staff and upscale amenities. I can assure you the internet access fee is priced competitively with comparable hotels. During longer visits, the option of a $40 weekly fee as opposed to daily charges offers guests marginal savings. I hope that you will choose to stay with us on your next trip to Boston.
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

I came here for my birthday this year and I was really happy with the choice to stay at the Intercontinental. The place looks awesome! Very well decorated. The room was awesome too except for that the bathroom was really weird. There was a window above the bed that didn't lock or anything and it slid open to the bathroom. Awkward. But other than that it was great! There is a cool bar downstairs, a place to get sushi and then a restaurant. Couldn't be better! I had an awesome time and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed celebrating your birthday with us at InterContinental Boston! Thank you for acknowledging the artful décor of the hotel. The sliding window in the room provides a more spacious feel, but you do have the option to keep it closed. I am glad you enjoyed the hotels rum-themed cocktail bar, RumBa. For your next birthday celebration, you may consider reserving The Champagne Lounge for a private group, which offers an atmosphere inspired by the Moulin Rouge.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

We stayed here for three nights in September 2009 as part a New England Tour. The hotel is classy from the moment you step inside. The lobby is very tasteful as are the rooms with the only negative being a sliding glass partition between the room/bathroom which opens up to create a seemingly larger living area (and allows you to watch the TV from the bathroom!!!). Although this sounds a nice touch it can actually become less private when using the WC (even though the doors are shut).

We really liked the harbour location however it is a 10 minute walk from the Quincey Market area and considerably further from the Newbury Street shopping area.

One other slight disappointment was that the hotel advertised a Champagne Bar which we intented try only to find out that this room was not open to the general public and only available for private parties.

Compared with other Intercontinental Hotels it lacked other special touches such as the lack of bathrobes, toiletries were not a premium brand and were not replaced after first use and no turn down service.

One other thing to note is that no recognition is made of Priority Club Platinum members - they only recognise ambassador status (which they try and sell you for $150 on check in)

It may sound like we had a few complaints but this is only because of the high standard we are used to from the Intercontinental Brand but overall this is still a good hotel and should we visit Boston again we would certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Boston? Share your experiences!