“Very cool fun hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Very cool fun hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

I came here for my birthday this year and I was really happy with the choice to stay at the Intercontinental. The place looks awesome! Very well decorated. The room was awesome too except for that the bathroom was really weird. There was a window above the bed that didn't lock or anything and it slid open to the bathroom. Awkward. But other than that it was great! There is a cool bar downstairs, a place to get sushi and then a restaurant. Couldn't be better! I had an awesome time and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
ICBoston, Carrie Flynn, Asst. Marketing Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
I am happy to hear that you enjoyed celebrating your birthday with us at InterContinental Boston! Thank you for acknowledging the artful décor of the hotel. The sliding window in the room provides a more spacious feel, but you do have the option to keep it closed. I am glad you enjoyed the hotels rum-themed cocktail bar, RumBa. For your next birthday celebration, you may consider reserving The Champagne Lounge for a private group, which offers an atmosphere inspired by the Moulin Rouge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Polish first
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

We stayed here for three nights in September 2009 as part a New England Tour. The hotel is classy from the moment you step inside. The lobby is very tasteful as are the rooms with the only negative being a sliding glass partition between the room/bathroom which opens up to create a seemingly larger living area (and allows you to watch the TV from the bathroom!!!). Although this sounds a nice touch it can actually become less private when using the WC (even though the doors are shut).

We really liked the harbour location however it is a 10 minute walk from the Quincey Market area and considerably further from the Newbury Street shopping area.

One other slight disappointment was that the hotel advertised a Champagne Bar which we intented try only to find out that this room was not open to the general public and only available for private parties.

Compared with other Intercontinental Hotels it lacked other special touches such as the lack of bathrobes, toiletries were not a premium brand and were not replaced after first use and no turn down service.

One other thing to note is that no recognition is made of Priority Club Platinum members - they only recognise ambassador status (which they try and sell you for $150 on check in)

It may sound like we had a few complaints but this is only because of the high standard we are used to from the Intercontinental Brand but overall this is still a good hotel and should we visit Boston again we would certainly consider staying here again.

lbi,nj
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Hubby and I went to Boston to attend a jazz fest and just to get away from it all (if you know what I Mean!) location of this hotel was quite a distance from most points of interest so we rented a car instead of high taxi rates. Beautiful hotel, most of the service was great, did have a problem with the bar staff, which was resolved by bar manager. Suggested positive patron interaction program to alleviate this in the future. Food was expensive and not up to par for cost. Best things about hotel; bathroom impeccable with a great soaking tub and walk-in shower, toiletries not used as left behind a negative smell. The outside harbour area was perfect. We took our late night brandy there every evening and it proved to be very romantic!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
ICBoston, Carrie Flynn, Asst. Marketing Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, February 24, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I apologize for the problem you encountered with the bar staff and I am pleased to hear that our Bars Manager was able to provide a prompt resolution. I am glad that you enjoyed the bathrooms, which offer both a shower and a separate soaking tub. The view of Fort Point Channel is really a delight from the patio, where seating for Sushi-Teq and Miel are located during the warmer months of the year. I hope that you will choose to stay with us on your next trip to Boston.
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

The hotel is beautiful and right on the waterfront. There was construction at the time which made pedestrian travel around the hotel slightly difficult. The room was ultra chic. It had the nicest bathroom I have ever seen and the tub was suburb. The linens were very nice and the bed super comfy. I stayed two nights and on the morning of my checkout I stepped out of my room with my room card to get some ice and my room key had been disabled so I could not get back in. I was in ugly shorts and a tee shirt with no shoes and I asked the housekeeper to let me in and she would not so she called security for me. They would not let me back in because I had no identification on me. They made me go down to the lobby, stand in line holding my ice and beg to get back into my room. I guess there is a fine line between hotel security and harassment, but they didn't even apologize for the inconvenience or anything. All they really would have had to do is let me in and have me show them my drivers license with my picture on it. Instead it ruined a very nice stay. Also, there is a great cafe across the street on the left which serves killer breakfasts for really cheap. There are also lots of great restaurants that are way better than the hotel's food.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and notifying us of the specific situation that occurred at the end of your visit. Top level security is important for the safety of our guests and employees. However, personal and accommodating service is also just as important and I apologize that you were inconvenienced by the situation. It is our procedure that identification must be provided by a guest in the occurrence of a lock out. I will bring this incident to the attention of our Director of Security. Thank you for your feedback and for choosing to stay at InterContinental Boston.
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Stayed 4 nights in early October. Room was complementary through Priority Club program is why we selected it. Very nice, high quality appointments, plush and comfortable. We travel worldwide and can obtain same level at significantly less than their going rate. Boston, however, is very expensive across the board. Hotel is in financial district. Location places it a good walk/cab ride to sites, restaurants, etc. South Station is 5 min. walk with convenient subway to Fenway, Kennedy Library and airport. ( Bargain $2 fare each way). Suggest saving $$ at less expensive hotel and enjoy the many fine restaurants in the North End with your savings.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
We are glad that you were able to take advantage of the benefits of the Priority Club Rewards program. As you mentioned, the T, which we arE only two blocks from, is a great way to save on costs rather than taking a cab around the city. We are conveniently located within walking distance from the North End and many other historic and popular Boston attractions.
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Stayed for 3 great nights at the end of September. The hotel is right at the heart of the waterside district and is an ideal location for exploring central Boston. Jump on the Trolley to get your bearings and then you can walk to most places. Great room and very helpful and friendly staff. Food good if a little pricey. Bathroom opened out to bedroom, a nice feature if you want to talk to your partner while having a bath but little soundproofing if you want individual privacy. We had a great time and would go back again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
We are pleased to hear that you would consider returning to InterContinental Boston. We take pride in our modern design, comfortable bedding, and spacious bathrooms. A section of the bathroom wall does open up, offering an even more spacious feel. However, when you would rather have privacy, there is the option of keeping them closed.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Stayed here for four nights in late September / early October. Arrived from Logan Airport by Water taxi, $10 per person so cheaper than a regular taxi unless there are 3 people or more. A very pleasant bellman immediately came to give me a hand with the luggage.

Check in was quick and easy and was allocated a nice spacious room on the sixth floor. This room overlooked Atlantic Ave rather than the waterfront but was quite nice nonetheless. I certainly wouldn't have paid an extra $30 a night for the water view.

Room was nicely decorated with comfortable beds and and a large bathroom with both bath and walk in shower. Nice flat screen tv with plenty of channels and good high speed internet ($40 for a week) help you to keep in touch.

Nice bar in the hotel lobby which was always busy despite high prices. Didn't eat in Miel (hotels restaurant) as I prefer simpler fare but the Concierge and Doormen were always quick with good suggestions.

Housekeeping were excellent and responded well to any requests.

Location was fine for me, only a block or so from South Station, with a maximum ten minute walk to Faneuil Hall and the market etc and the same to the aquarium.

Overall a very good stay in a nice hotel. Good service levels and great amenitiesput this at the top end of Boston's hotels. Only downside for some is that it is very highly priced (as are most Boston hotels) but I am told that you can quite often get it cheaply on Hotwire!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
We appreciate you taking the time to review the InterContinental Boston. It seems like your stay in the fall, a beautiful season to visit Boston, was very pleasant. Thank you for recognizing the stellar staff and personal service we offer. If you are considering returning, I suggest that you join Priority Club Rewards, our frequent traveler program.

Been to InterContinental Boston? Share your experiences!