“Fell Short of Expectations but Adequate for Business Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Spa Packages!
Ranked #15 of 77 hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta GA
“Fell Short of Expectations but Adequate for Business Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Both the meeting representative at the airport and the driver praised the Intercontinental so I was excited to be staying there. The facade of the building is spectacular and the interior is quite pleasant. Location is great, right on the water and across from the Children's Museum. With two large meetings taking place during my stay, no king rooms were available so I got a double on the fifth floor. The room was very large and nicely appointed with large work area, comfortable beds, enormous bathroom and a long entryway which helped mask some of the noise from the hall. Upon opening the door an overwhelming odor struck me and I later discovered there had been a substantial spill on the carpet near the credenza which housed the television and mini fridge. The carpet was soggy though it was evident the cleaning staff had vacumed over it. On the way to close the curtains I stepped in the sloshy mess and also discovered a mostly eaten sesame seed roll behind the credenza. Toiletries in the bathroom appeared to have been partially used and not replaced (though I suspect most hotels just top off toiletries left by guests, this was blantanty already used). I was too tired and too busy to do anything about the smell the first night but switched to another room the following day. Staff was polite and quick to make arrangements though they looked as if they didn't believe there was wet carpet or an unbearable odor in the room. The second room, identical in design to the first was an 8th floor corner room which was quite pleasant as the outer 'walls' were large windows that afforded a nice view onto downtown Boston. While toiletries appeared intact in the second room, there was no iron though an ironing board was in the closet. The toilet was slow to flush and the handle had to be held down. I had to wait a considerable amount of time for hot water in the shower but overall, the room was clean and comfortable, though street noise was problematic at night. Meeting facilities were adequate and the food was delicious with a varied menu. Many vegetarian options were available at the buffets. My internet connection was free as it was paid by the client hosting the meeting but the room menu indicated $14.95 per day. I couldn't get the alarm clock set but appreciated that a wake up call could be programmed on the phone. Since I wasn't paying for accommodations I found them adequate for a business meeting and would probably recommend the hotel to an acquaintance or colleague.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
ICBoston, Carrie Flynn, Assistant Marketing Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, August 10, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry that there were issues with your room the first night of your stay. Certainly there was an error on our part and that is not what we strive to provide for guests. I am glad to hear that we were able to relocate you for the remainder of your stay. I can assure you that we do not top off bathroom amenities. It is our standard to replace any used or opened amenities in guest rooms and I apologize that this was not the case in your first room. Unused amenities including shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and toilet paper rolls are collected by our housekeeping department. The products are picked up and distributed to local homeless shelters by HelpNow Inc. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our meeting facilities and that you enjoyed the food and beverage offerings. Thank you again for your review and I hope that you will stay with us again.

1,547 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Polish first
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

Just returned from a business trip with a conference at this hotel. This was my first trip to Boston. The Intercontinental Boston is very nice. What struck me the most was the cleanliness. It is a newer hotel so it still has a nice, clean feel to it. For some reason I expected more from the lobby, restaurant offerings, common areas especially for the price paid for the room. The rooms are nice, with nice sized bathrooms with tub and shower. The work out gym was nice and very adequate. There is a nice place to sit outside at the water's edge. It is close to the South "T' station, but otherwise in a poor location. It is a fairly long walk to a convenience store for bottled water etc.. and most of the action in Boston is elsewhere. Although Boston is a walking city, I still like to be able to get somewhere quickly for a late night snack.
Front desk service was fair. There was a language barrier at times. I finally gave up trying to get my Priority points added to my stay. The concierge desk was very helpful. I would probably stay here again, but would likely look for a hotel a little less expensive and in an area with more to see and do.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and I am happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your experience. Our hotel is indeed quite new, having opened in November of 2006. We work very hard to keep the hotel in the condition it is in and it’s very nice to hear from someone who appreciates our efforts to provide our guests with a clean, well-kept hotel. We also strive to provide guests with a wide variety of food options including Sushi-Teq, Miel "Brasserie Provençale,” and RumBa. Although it is true to say that the area around our hotel can be a little quiet at night, we are located less than a 10 minute walk from the popular Faneuil Hall where you can find a wide array of bars, clubs, and restaurants. It’s wonderful to hear that you took advantage of our location on the water and I am glad you enjoyed our health club facilities. Thank you again for your review and hopefully you will stay with us again in the future.
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

Pros:
* Brand new hotel, very nice finishes in traditional IHG style

Cons
* Poor reception and service attitude is really terrible
* No on-site self-parking, has to be done via valet
* OK location but a bit out of the way from the action

Stayed here for a one-night stay recently and had a mixed experience. First off, the hotel appears very new and has a great finish to what you would expect from a new Interncontinental hotel. Finishes were nice and really a nice room.

My main problem with this hotel is the awful service. My assistant made an incorrect booking for my one-night stay (she booked me to arrive the previous night). She used hotwire to book and we got a very decent rate for the stay. So when I arrived at the hotel, the front desk staff said I didn't have a room for that current night for a stay. Realizing my own staff's mistake, I inquired about just booking a room for the current evening. After 10 minutes of waiting at the front desk, the front desk informed me I would be charged rack rate to stay in the current evening.

I asked the front desk if I could get a rate discount similar to hotwire and the front desk worker said, "You can try to book it on hotwire at our business center." I inquired if I had to pay to use their business center and the front desk worker said, "Yes." I informed the front desk worker that I'm about to book another night's room at his hotel and I didn't have any computer access. Once again, I asked him if i could just borrow a computer in their business center to book a room at his hotel. Asked the concierge and he also stated, "you'll have to pay a fee to use our computer's in the business center!"

Here is my huge beef with this IHG Boston: the service is terrible. I've already paid 1 unused hotel night due to my error. I'm fine with this. I asked to see if IHG could allow me to book another night if they could just allow me to use a computer for THREE MINUTES just to book it on hotwire. Their response both times were in the negative tone.

What I don't appreciate is the cold, inflexible nature with which this hotel is run. No sense of hospitality or soft-skills to work with different problems. I didn't appreciate being Nickel-And-Dimed (even if it was at the company's expense) and I would never recommend staying at this place. Spoke to the concierge and he as not responsive or accommodating at all either.

Stay at either the Hyatt Regency or the Zero Hotel next time. Never recommending this one ever again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet the standards that we strive to achieve. I completely understand you being upset at the service you encountered regarding your booking issue. Our staff was correct in saying that we are unable to provide the same rate available on Hotwire without a specific booking as Hotwire is a third party website. However, I am very sorry for the way your computer issue was handled. The computers located at the front desk and concierge desk are specifically for our staff. It is for your own confidentiality and protection that we do not allow guests to use these computers as they are monitored on a regular basis. The business center computers, although there is a fee, provide much more security for you, especially when entering confidential information. Regarding your other comments, you are correct to say that we do not offer self parking in the garage, however there are many other parking facilities within easy walking distance that guests are welcome to use if they do not want to take advantage of our valet service. I am sorry once again that your stay with us understandably did not meet your expectations and I can only hope you will consider us again.
Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

We were able to get this hotel through hotwire for a good rate. I would never stay here at the standard booking price but that is just me. The location is great for the Children's Museam and Aquarium and someday if it ever reopens, the Boston Tea Party. Keep in mind when you book that there is an additional $40 parking charge per night.

Positives:
Easy access from south of boston or the south station T.

If you go 10 minutes north, you will find life at Fanuel Hall.

Negatives:

It is in the financial district, which is dead on the weekends. There aren't even convience stores operating past 5pm. Crazy quiet. Like a scene from the end of the world.

The breakfast buffet is around $25 each. We just purchased some sides and got out the door for $65 for breakfast. Yes, granola, bagels and yogurt and we are not talking room service.

The primary reason for a hotel is sleep but the pillows are the type that once you put your head on them they go as flat as the sheets. Some love soft pillows. Its a negative for me.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. The area immediately around the hotel can be quiet during the weekends; however, as you point out, we are less than a 10 minute walk to the very lively Faneuil Hall. There is a CVS in Post Office Square that is just under a 5 minute walk from the hotel and they are open until 8PM Monday – Friday and until 6PM on Saturday. There is also a 7-11 on Atlantic Avenue about an 8 minute walk from the hotel. I am sorry that our pillows did not meet your needs and if you are to stay with us again, we do have firm pillows upon request. Thank you for your review and I hope you will consider us in your future travels.
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

We recently stayed at this property for a fun-filled week in Mass. visiting some friends. We chose this hotel based on location and price -- we got a deal on hotwire -- The downtown location is on the wharf and the sea aquarium is two blocks away. Fanueil Hall and markets are also 3-4 blocks away and that area had a lot of places to eat and catch a drink while sightseeing. We felt very safe at night walking around downtown to get back to the hotel. There are tons of Irish bars ideally located near the hotel as well.

The hotel staff at check in was very accomodating and informative about the area. We arrived early at 1pm and -- Linh at the front desk -- helped get us squared away in a room on the spot. The room was modern and spacious. Large bedroom area with chase lounge and arm chair. We had a king bed that was super comfy with soft linens and lots of feather pillows. (Firm pillows are by request) Seperate desk with several outlets so you can charge up your computer and smart phone all in one. The bathroom was very large with seperate soaking tub and shower stall that had two shower heads! Great water pressure too which is hard to find at a large hotel. Cleaning staff was efficient; we stepped out for lunch and within an half hour our room was clean and spotless.

We had room service one night and it was fast, within 10-15 min. of ordering. We got the chicken fingers so I cant tell you about the fine dining! The downstairs bar, Rumba, was packed both Friday and Saturday night ; looked like a popular spot. It is a champagne bar with an extensive selection. It is pricey though and drinks run about $10 a pop -- but it was a nice place to go for a night cap.

There is also a commercial lobster shipping company the next block over from the hotel. Go out the hotel and to the right and you can see it on the corner -- James Hook and Company. We ate there several times for a quick lobster roll. It was very good and interesting to look inside the shop to see all the ranges of lobster sizes -- 1 pound all the way up to monster lobsters with claws as big as your head. All in all we enjoyed the InterContinental and its offerings very much. Not if, but when we visit Boston again we would stay at this property. I would definitley recommend to my best friends and family for a great, luxurious stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
It sounds like you had a great stay and really took advantage of all Boston and the waterfront has to offer. We have great pride in our location and all of the attractions that are so close to the hotel. I am glad we could play a part in your vacation and make your stay comfortable. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel in such detail and we look forward to your next visit to Boston.
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

We live locally in MA and decided to make a get-away trip to Boston. Using Priceline to book a room, we landed at the InterContinental Boston. The location was perfect, as it was walking distance to the subway, waterfront, downtown, and the Water Taxi to Charlestown. We got into Boston early on Saturday to secure a room. We requested a room facing the city and had no problem getting one. The hotel staff was very accommodating and curious. The room was nicely furnished and very clean. We didn't use the hotel restaurants or the pool/spa/fitness center.

Couple Notes:
* The rooms facing the city are across from the Boston Fire/Ambulance Dept, which blows their sirens every time they enter/leave the firehouse. It could be disturbing.
* The RumBa hotel bar is a very popular place on the weekend. It was impossible to get seat in the bar and we had to wait a long time to get a drink. They also played the music very very loud. It's not a place to get a quiet drink on the weekend!
* The Sushi-Teq bar/restaurant had patio seating outside earlier in the evening, but we didn't make use of it. It was very elegant and quiet outside.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
It is great to hear that we were able to contribute to your getaway trip to Boston. I am glad we were able to accommodate your requests and that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location. It is true that RumBa is a very popular spot on the weekends, but if you are ever looking for something quieter you may enjoy Miel’s Terrace Wine Bar which is open from 5pm to 10pm every night through September. If you decide to treat yourself to another weekend getaway you may also like to know that we offer a free sunrise yoga classes every Saturday until September 5th on our waterfront lawn. Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Whitman, Mass
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

So I have to admit- I wouldn't pay $400 a night to saty at any hotel, anywhere. And that was the going rate for our room the night we stayed at the Intercontinental Boston. But I had a reward night for any Holiday Inn brand hotel, and we had a seminar in Boston. (BTW- I live about 30 minutes from the hotel, with no traffic). We took the T in (the commuter rail is in our town) which was $12 each, one way. (parking at th ehotel would have been $39). The hotel is less than 10 minutes (walking) from South Station. Checked in around 5pm, no problems. The room was quite nice, pretty much just like the website described it. The view was the Boston Fire Station, which isn't a bad view, and was really nice to look at in the dark (everything lit up). We walked toward Fanuel Hall, and ended up having dinner at Jose McIntyres. (we bypassed the hotel restaurant- I'm sure they would excellent, but they were pricey). Spent the evening walking around Fanuel Hall, then back to the hotel. The bed was very comfortable- I believe the pillows and comforter were down. There was a shower stall and a soaking tub. Nice soaps,shampoos, etc. Check out was quick and easy. It was a very nice hotel for a free stay, pretty much what I expected. I can honestly say I probably will never pay thier rates to stay there, but I would recommend it to anyone who would pay those prices (because I assume that's the kind of hotel they would like).

Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing our hotel and for being a loyal InterContinental Hotels Group customer. Priority Club is a great way to accumulate points towards hotel stays that you would not typically book. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your reward stay and hope that you will choose to stay with us again.

Been to InterContinental Boston? Share your experiences!