“Beautiful Hotel, Easy Walking Distance - But Pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Spa Packages!
Ranked #12 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Amherst, Massachusettes
“Beautiful Hotel, Easy Walking Distance - But Pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

I went to this hotel with some friends in December to get away for the weekend and to spend an early holiday with them. We booked our trip directly through the hotels website. We arrived to the hotel and parked the car @ $39.00 per night, tipped the bellhop and realized that before ever stepping into our room we spent $100.00. This hotel is close to the Italian district and close to Quincy Market, so if you enjoy walking you can get to either area in a short period of time. The hotel has a beautiful pool and is situated directly on the waterway. The area is quite nice, the rooms are clean and well maintained, the price for the hotel is expensive even for Boston. The weekend cost $600.00 for the hotel with parking, which is not a cheap getaway. I would look around for better pricing or even consider other hotels in the area which may offer better pricing and less money for the extras such as parking, internet, etc.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Polish first
cleveland, ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

I had previously stayed at this hotel in March of 2009; it was a clean, modern, and an exceptional service establishment. Upon my return home from that initial stay I even sent an email complimenting the front desk service to the manager. After that satisfying stay I was more than glad to book a room for an upcoming business trip. I travel over 150 nights a year and never have I had an issue or a problem with my preferred travel partner Marriott, but decided to stay at the Intercontinental after my last visit. The morning of my trip my client called and canceled my meeting, this was not a problem as this occasionally happens. So I immediately contacted the airline and the rental car company to cancel my travel arrangements, both did so without any questions. Then I contacted the Intercontinental, they then told me that they have a strict 24-hour cancelation policy and that there was nothing they could do. I spoke to the reservation manager and the front desk manager and both told me there was nothing they could do. I then immediately contacted the IHG customer support line and they tried very hard to provide some resolution but the hotel would not budge for them. All of this being said in today’s tough economic times I am sure that very few leisure travelers will pay the rather high prices they charge, so I assume that 90 percent of their customers during the week are business travelers. So please be fully aware that this hotel would rather keep my one night stay than refund it to keep a frequent traveler's business. Good luck with any dealings with this most unaccommodating organization.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Ma.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

This was our second stay at the Intercontinental both times using Hotwire or Priceline.I still think it was a bit pricey for the month of March, approx. $248 plus taxes. We were however very pleased with the size of the room and they were able to accommodate us with two beds.
The North End really isn,t that far of a walk for people that have no walking problems and there are plenty of restaurants in the North End.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

We booked this hotel through Hotwire, and loved it. I didn't mind that they charged for internet as we travel with a laptop and a broadband card, and our own small coffeepot: most high end hotels don't provide a coffeepot. I loved the details in the hotel: the doorbell for the room, the 'do not disturb' that was controlled inside the room [ever stayed somewhere that a kid put their sign on your room for kicks???} and just the lovely decor. We had a corner room with a great view; I didn't feel as though they discriminated against us because of getting the room on Hotwire; and the room was huge. I've stayed in places where the whole room was smaller than the Intercontinental's bathroom! We didn't eat in the hotel restaurants but they looked great. The short walk to the T was a great feature, as we don't keep a rental car when visiting Boston.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
New Brunswick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

I stayed here two years ago in july and it was an incredible time! The location is great, tons of restaurants and shopping all within great walking distance. The rooms are great with flat screen tv's and comfortable beds, the bathrooms are beautiful along with the decore. The restaurant is incredible considering the chef is Two-star Michelin Chef Jacques Chibois. (presentation and flavour of food was stunning) In my mind this is a 5 star hote with the best service i have ever experienced in a hotel.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

I recently took the whole family (two kids ages 5 and 9) for an overnight to Boston and found a great deal on HotWire for the Intercon. The hotel is in a great location, very clean and modern, spacious room with a fabulous bathtub and shower (and a pool for the kiddies) -- all terrific! My only beef - and it's a BIG one - is that our room was near a very noisy service elevator (we think, although we never actually saw one) that literally woke us ALL up repeatedly all night long. With two kids who usually sleep like rocks, it would have had to have been loud and it was! The thumping noises started late at night and recurred regularly every 15 minutes or so, making the room shake. It sounded like large furniture being turned over, followed by thumps and the sounds of what seemed to be large elevator doors closing -- not your typical hotel noises. Very disappointing as all we were really concerned about was a getting a peaceful night's sleep. Had we stayed more than one night, I would have requested we be moved. Not sure if this is a result of getting a great last minute deal, but if you go this route, don't stay in rooms 546-548, which share the end of a corridor overlooking the canal. I'd definitely stay here again for the right price, barring the noises!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
North Potomac, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

Booked this hotel using Priceline. A negative of Priceline is that you cannot indicate how many beds so I contacted the hotel directly and spoke with a reservation agent who noted the request for two beds but could not guarantee it. With supervisor's approval, we were given an upgraded room as there were no rooms available in the price range booked. The room which overlooked the waterfront was spacious with trendy furniture and was immaculate. As we checked in after 10pm, dining options was limited to sushi which was not appealing at that time of night so we ordered Room Service which was quite pricey but we had really no choice. A charge of $6 to use the computer in the Business Center. The hotel is located in the financial district with the "T" being two blocks is convenient. A negative to this hotel, there are few dining options near the hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to InterContinental Boston? Share your experiences!