“Great Hotel in Downtown Boston” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Spa Packages!
Ranked #12 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Great Hotel in Downtown Boston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

As a former Boston resident and somewhat former regular business traveler to the city, I haven't been to Boston for a couple of years. I picked the InterContinental mostly based on the fact that I'm Platinum with their awards program and I wanted to try something new in the city.

The hotel is located on Atlantic Avenue right on Fort Point Channel. Back when I lived there, this area was nothing - a desolate wasteland on the other side of the elevated Central Artery. That was a long time ago and the area has really developed. Everything from Atlantic Ave/South Station to the waterfront is redeveloped and vibrant.

The hotel itself is a new property overlooking Fort Point Channel (this is the "waterfront" view from the hotel). Lobby is large and modern with lots of marble and the check-in staff are efficient. It was a bit annoying checking in but there was a large convention in town with some not-so-frequent travelers - so I can't fault the hotel on the overload.

I was upgraded to a corner room with a view of the channel. The room was modern with plenty of electrical outlets. The bathroom was large, very clean and had plenty of water pressure and separate tub/shower. Bedding was typical IC which means comfortable and the black out shades worked. Getting a taxi in Boston has been a challenge for years and continues to be that way, but the door staff had a number of car service guys on call for reasonable rates.

There a number of restaurants/bars near the hotel but not really right by it. In good weather the location is great since almost any reasonable point within the downtown core is easily walkable. In cold or rainy weather, take a cab or car service.

The room is a "5" and then some. I'm giving it a "4" overall b/c the location isn't the most ideal - though it works fine if you know the city.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear CS_NewYorkCity,

Many thanks for your review; we appreciate your taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I’m glad we were able to host you on your return to Boston and hope you enjoyed being back in this great city! We are very happy to see the Fort Point Channel and Seaport area growing rapidly; however I’m sorry that you found the location to be less than ideal. We appreciate your loyalty to the IHG brand and I hope you will stay with us again on your next trip ‘home’!

Ian Pullan
InterContinental® Boston
Ian.Pullan@ihg.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed on a Saturday night for my girlfriends birthday. Upon checking in, the front desk attendant acknowledged our previous stays at the hotel and welcomed us back. After receiving our room keys we were asked if our stay was for a special occasion. My girlfriend said it was for here birthday. An hour later a chocolate torte was delivered with happy birthday on the plate. Totally unexpected and so incredible. We also had great service with concierge desk, a bartender, a waitress at the Sushi bar and bellman. Thank you for the great customer service it's surely a reflection on the management team!

• Stayed January 2014
Cape Elizabeth, Maine, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Intercontinental in Boston and had the BEST stay. We stayed in one of the suites on the 12th floor and it was incredible. The suite was spacious to say the least and extremely clean. The view was spectacular. From the moment we walked in the lobby, the hotel staff was more than helpful and very friendly. They made it very clear they were here for us and were more than willing to do whatever it took to make our stay here an unforgettable one. We only had breakfast at the hotel, but the food was delicious and hot when served. Once again, the wait staff was very friendly and attentive. We will stay at the Boston Intercontinental when we visit Boston from now on. Highly Recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Upon checking in Anna politely greeted us and asked if we were there for a special occasion. We told her it was my birthday and she wished me a Happy Birthday. Shortly after settling into our room a piece of Chocolate mousse was delivered to our room. It made my day to have received such wonderful service. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2014
InterConBos, General Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Lindy201,

Many thanks for the outstanding review! It is a true pleasure to have helped make your birthday celebration so special and our team thanks you for sharing your wonderful experience. We appreciate your recommending us and hope to welcome you back again as well.

Ian Pullan
InterContinental® Boston
Ian.Pullan@ihg.com
Needham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

The InterContinental Boston is our favorite hotel in Boston. The staff is super friendly, the rooms are clean and spacious and you can't beat the location. My husband and I loved the outdoor tiki bar - we could have spent the entire weekend just hanging out at the bar.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel to celebrate our anniversary. We had an amazing experience. The room was awesome! It was so nice to be able to go downstairs for some great apps and drinks at Rumba, as well as wake up and have a delicious breakfast at Miel. I also got one of the best massages ever at the spa!! Would highly recommend staying here- especially in the warmer months as it's right on the water. Check out some of the new restaurants opening in the Fort Point Chanel /Seaport area right by the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
Somerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We're two working people who can't often afford to go to a nice place. Thanks to an unexpected bonus I got on a job, we decided to live it up for our ninth anniversary and booked a room here. Right from the beginning, Luis (concierge) did everything to make our stay a special one. We got an amazing upgrade to a room with a view, he sent us a bottle of champagne and in short made my better half feel like royalty. Everyone here was amazingly friendly, and they went above and beyond to treat us with kindness and make a once a year thing for us truly memorable. We may not be back soon, but we WILL be back. Can't say enough about what a great place this was.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Boston? Share your experiences!