“5-Start Hotel with Minor Flaws” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Spa Packages!
Ranked #12 of 77 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newton, Massachusetts
“5-Start Hotel with Minor Flaws”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Overall, my wife and I enjoyed our stay. We book our king room for $180 (inclusive of all taxes and fees) on Priceline Express Deals (super value). Check-in experience was superb, as the staff showed a very positive attitude. I asked for a higher floor and got one of the highest floors. I asked for a water view (but without upgrading) and got a room with a partial water view. Throughout the hotel's construction and furnishing, it exudes a 5-star experience. Thick carpeting, tasteful decor, nice finishing details, well-appointed room. Even the closet doors were made of heavy solid wood. We especially liked the bathroom layout that opens into the bedroom. Very romantic.

Now for the minor flaws. The hotel is located in the Financial District, which means the area shuts down after work hours and on weekends. Quincy Market and North End are about 20 minutes away on foot (through quiet and sometimes dark Financial District streets). At night, it's probably safer to take a taxi or use the subway (South Station).

The 10th floor view was nice, but it took awhile for hot water to reach us in the morning--literally a couple of minutes, so turn on the hot water and go make yourself a cup of coffee.

Our room was generally quite and sound-insulated. As part of a suite arrangement, however, we were able to hear noises through the locked common door connecting our room to the neighboring one. It started with a loud clang in the evening, followed by iPhone alarm at 8:30am and loud arguments.

Watch out for the mini-bar refrigerator. We used the fridge to cool down fruits we brought with us. In jest, I also showed my wife the ridiculous $8.00 can of M&M's. At check-out, the hotel got the last laugh as an $8.00 charge showed on my account. It turns out that the mini-bar fridge is equipped with electronic sensors that detect movement of its contents. Fortunately, the friendly staff removed the charges, but I was annoyed that I needed to take extra time to check out.

In spite of these small annoyances, we thoroughly enjoyed our mini-cation stay at $180.

Room Tip: As for partial water view for no additional charge.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Polish first
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

To start with we were upgraded to a Jr. Suite on the harbour side which was perfect in every respect. Large comfortable room & bathroom. Fruit and water provided each day. Restaurants were busy but service was great as well as the food. Concierge was very helpful for all our requests. Would definitely stay ther again on our next trip to Boston. Highly recommend it as you are in the heart of Boston a short walk to the Market and downtown

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Busy and impressive with a good location both for business and leisure. Nothing not to like, reasonable size room and bathroom, comfortably furnished with a good bed. All well maintained. The previous positive reviews have it summed up accurately. But of course such luxury comes at a price and with extras. My only gripes are the expensive Wi-Fi, charged even in the bar and lobby area. The patio restaurant which has a good outside location was chaotic, with resulting poor dinner service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Excellent hotel and location. Room spacious and comfortable with great views. Stayed a couple of nights before and after a trip to Cape Cod. Only disappointment was having Platinum status meant nothing other than acknowledgment at check-in.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

First I would like to thank Mr Ditterline for a job well done. We were impressed from the start. I stay with Intercontental hotels and this one top notch.It was my wedding anniversary and we flew to Boston to meet my new son in law.Every part of the stay went great, we were able to get rooms next to each other with a great view. The staff was great from the time we pulled up from the airport to the time the hotel dropped us off at the cruise terminal. THANK YOU

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at the InterContinental in early June for a work conference. I was given a twin room (I prefer King but they'd none available) and thought the two beds were pretty small. This & the lack of night time turn down service was my only disappointment with the hotel. Otherwise its location is nice and the hotel inside is lovely. My room was very comfortable with a really great bathroom. Awesome big bath and separate shower. The food at the conference was very good - better then one would expect when catering for a big group.
I also had lunch on two occasions at the bar and both times ordered the same thing as it was that good. I had a Caesar salad with shrimp and it was really delicious. The bar/restaurant were nicely decorated with good water views. It's not clear to see that when you arrive a the hotel and just go from lobby to elevator and room. I would highly recommend trying the food there (certainly at lunch time) the menu was good & prices were decent.
I hope I get to stay at the IC again in the future.

Room Tip: Book king over twin room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We chose this hotel because of its location on the waterfront and had a good view from our spacious and comfortable room.

The Boston T is great for getting round, and I have used it extensively on previous trips, but this time round my daughter and I walked everywhere and did not need the T.

Boston is a beautiful city with lots of green spaces and interesting architecture and worth returning to time and again.

The hotel is of a very high standard, although we found the staff to be a bit cold, unlike Bostonians elsewhere. Prices in the hotel for food and drink are unjustifiably high but there are plenty of other places not too far away, including a good Italian Restaurant just along Atlantic Avenue near thr Boston Harbor Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a waterfront view of the Boston Tea Party Museum/Attraction.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to InterContinental Boston? Share your experiences!