“Enjoyable Evening” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marco

Marco
253 Hanover St., 2nd Flr., Boston, MA 02113 (North End)
(617) 742-1276
Transit: Haymarket goverment center
Washington, D.C.
“Enjoyable Evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We enjoyed our meal at Marco. The fried stuffed zucchini blossoms were a bit overly cheesy. The beet salad was well-presented and very good. The half-portion sizes of the entrees were very generous. I could not finish my eggplant lasagna, and my husband struggled to finish his cavatelli. Overall, a very good meal. Listen to other reviewers and try to snag a table near the window -- excellent people-watching abounds!

Visited September 2012

Ridgewood, New Jersey
“Wonderful Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I read the consistently positive reviews on Yelp and Open Table and had to check it out. We requested a table by the window which I would recommend highly since it offers great views of Hanover as well as a bit of a respite from the noise in the restaurant. While tucked away on the second floor in a cozy but not crowded space, the room can get noisy. The waiter brought us a delicious amuse bouche to start and we had the restaurant price fixe meal ( it was restaurant week) which offered several choices that would please fish, meat and vegetarian palates. The wine list a good selection of very reasonable reds and whites and it was easy to find a few good choices for under $50 which is rare these days. The pastas were fresh, the sauces for each of the 3 dishes that we had were unique and suited the dish perfectly. Wonderful tiramisu and chocolate cake to finish off a great evening. Dinner for 4 with a bottle of wine was about $220 including tax and tip - well worth it.

• Visited August 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Favorite restaurant in North End, Boston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We've been eating at Marco's for the past few years and it's become our favorite destination in the North End. The food is sourced locally and is absolutely delicious. We've always enjoyed good, friendly service. To save a few bucks, try a bottle of the house wine: It's very good and reasonably priced. The last time we at there was during Restaurant Week and it was busier and bit louder than usual. But I find that I generally don't have to strain to hear conversation at my table, which is very important to me. This is a gem and I highly recommend it to others.

• Visited August 2012
Weston, Massachusetts
“One of the North End's Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

I am surprised to see some recent reviews disappointed with the service. I don't doubt the reviewers, but I think that was an anomaly. We have dined here several times and each time has been an exceptional experience.

Our most recent visit was during Restaurant Week. It was extremely busy, but our reservation was available as scheduled. There was one waiter and two waitresses on duty. One waitress was our primary server, but at any given time any of the three attended to our service. Their Restaurant Week menu was extraordinary on three counts. Firstly, it was a four course dinner, secondly there were extensive choices for all four courses, and lastly the portions were quite generous. We even took a doggie bag, which is unheard of during Restaurant Week.

We were four and ordered a wide selection of all the courses. Without exception everything was excellent. And just to highlight the service, when I got my caesar salad I happened to remark to my friends that I should have saved the anchovies from my antipasto to add to my salad. Well unbeknownst to me, one of the waitresses overheard this comment, and the next thing I know a plate of anchovies are placed before me. Incredible!

Do not hesitate to dine at this restaurant. We will be back!

Los Angeles, CA
“A place to go if you want to have food orgasms in your mouth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

The North End of Boston, Hanover Street, is an area crowded with hit or miss Italian restaurants, long lines of tourists in front of some and restauranteurs pleading for you to come in in front of others. If you want to narrow down the list to one and have the kind of experience one can only describe as having multiple food orgasms in your mouth, then we insist you eat at Marco.

We were lucky to find Marco and very lucky they had a spot for us as we entered the north end with no plan, no reservation and no real idea where to eat except for the general idea of “let’s see if we cab get a good vegetarian Italian meal in the North End” on the last of our three night stay in Boston. We traipsed up and down the street, perusing menus with one set of eyes and yelp reviews plus available seats on OpenTable with the other. Behold Marco, a table at 7:30, excellent reviews, plus on the second floor giving it that “you’ve found something off the beaten path” vibe.

This poor planning on our part, plus the end of a full day of touristing about had us at the restaurant an hour before our reservation hoping for an earlier spot, but not wanting to walk around any more. We didn’t get an earlier table but this did give us the opportunity to soak in the restaurant, watch how carefully prepared the food and drinks were and even indulge in a very well mixed cocktail, the waiter demonstrating his other skill as a mixologist.

Finally seated and treated to a gorgeous and tasty bruschetta spread we ordered the Insalata di Rucola without the crispy bacon it normally came with because we were particularly in the mood for good shaved parmesan. We were not disappointed with the parmesan or the house-made fingerling potato chips that came on top. (The Insalata di Indivia with Green Apple, Gorgonzola and walnuts also looked good....but again we NEEDED shaved parmesan.)

The entrees were where the mouth orgasms came in. We split two half orders - One the Fedilini Pomodoro dish subbing their house-made Papardelle pasta for the Fedelini it normally came with along with the, get ready for it, the Risotto Funghi - Exotic Mushroom Risotto with White Truffle Oil. I’d like to say “white truffle oil” a few more times to really emphasize it for you. This dish had me rolling my eyes back in my head and, I’m certain at one point I started speaking in tongues. It was other-wordly. If you’re a fan of homemade pasta, the Pomodoro dish was absolutely perfect...clearly everything about these foods, the sauces, the assemblages of ingredients, everything was done with an incredible amount of artistry and food acumen.

We’ve eaten in fancier restaurants - had amazing meals in many places...but the flavors and perfection of our two entrees will always be one of our favorite culinary memories. We honestly didn’t want to leave. Well done Marco.

For more reviews from a vegetarian perspective, visit Rick and Addie's Veggie Food Blog: http://poetrysuperhighway.com/vfb

• Visited July 2012