“Excellent performance, bad design, lousy management” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #170 of 213 Attractions in Boston
Northampton, Massachusetts, USA
37 attraction reviews
“Excellent performance, bad design, lousy management”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I saw the Paco Peña Flamenco Dance Company, which was exceptional. But the first 2 songs were ruined because the house manager(s) kept seating patrons during the concert. I overheard other patrons say, "The symphony must be doing something, because the garage is full."

Pardon the sarcasm, but a couple of suggestions: if you're a patron and it's a Sunday afternoon in Boston, it might be a good idea to assume that yes, there are other events taking place in this area dense with arts venues, and yes, you should leave early for your event, just in case the garage is full, or some other unexpected problem may arise. If you're managing a performance center and it becomes evident that there's a problem like this, how about starting the show 15 minutes later, so that you can seat all of your patrons BEFORE the program begins? It's not fair to those of us who paid $35 or more to see and hear the performance -- I really do not appreciate people talking, blocking my view, and stepping on my feet for the first 15 minutes. Very unprofessional management.

Once everyone sat down and stopped yapping, the acoustics were fine. But the rest of the design is lacking, to say the least. There's no coat check -- a pain in the winter. The sightlines in this auditorium are terrible. I'm 5' 5" -- not that short for a woman -- and I could not see the stage, so that I was twisting my neck uncomfortably through most of the concert. Why was this placed designed with hardly any slope to the floor, and with seats placed directly behind the row in front, rather than staggered so that the viewer doesn't have someone's head directly in front of him/ her? I don't need stadium seating, but I would like to see the artists on the stage!

Visited February 2013

Triad, NC
10 attraction reviews
“In Town? - Check The Performance Calendar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I were staying in Boston for the week. Walking around the Back Bay area, we discovered the Berklee Performance Center. We checked the performance calendar and discovered that Pat Metheny (jazz guitarist) was scheduled to perform. We purchased tickets and attended. The performance was great, the auditorium comfortable and center staff and ushers (students) gracious and helpful.

Later in the week we attended a faculty jazz performance. For the ticket price ($8), the evening of live jazz was fantastic. The program was planned around the retirement of a long time faculty member (and alto saxaphonist). Besides the music, the personal touch of the music and other performing members for this event was touching.

Staying in Boston? Looking for something other than staying in your hotel room. Check the Berklee Performing Center. It is conveniently located at the corner of Mass. Ave. and Boylston. Take the 'T' Green Line to the Hines Center stop,

Visited October 2012
Salem, Massachusetts
30 attraction reviews
“Such a bad and dangerous experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I don't know what they could have been thinking last night. We attended The Mediterrean Music Institute's Young Flamenco performance which was marvelous. However it was preceded by something very scary. The event was listed as beginning at 8:15, but Berklee chose not to open the doors until 8:15 which meant that people outside on the cold rainy street were trying to jam into the small glass vestibule in front of the box office. This caused the people up front to be jammed into the glass front. People were literally being crushed up against the glass and were yelling and pleading for the doors to be opened. The whole could have easily waited in the lobby, which after all is the purposed of the lobby. The scary part is the staff just watched as the patrons were being crushed and stated that the "the artists were performing their sound check". WHAT! Very unsafe, very frightening and I am sure quite against fire code. Also for 800 patrons they only have one stall in the ladies room! How is that for cold blooded?

Visited November 2011