“Consistently Good Westin experience.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #43 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Kansas City, Missouri
“Consistently Good Westin experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

While this is a large property attached to a conference center, I still felt as though I received great service and had a good stay.

Positives:
- Friendly staff, easy check-in, personal service. For example, I asked if the hotel lent umbrellas and, without hesitation, the front desk gentleman produced one. And I didn't have to sign my life away to borrow it. Cheers for having the umbrella and for not making the process onerous.
- Standard Westin amenities, bed, linens, and shower did not disappoint. There is nothing quiet like a Westin heavenly bed or shower!
- The price was competitive with others within the area
- Walking distance to the seaport, attached to the conference center (if that is your goal).
- Starbucks inside and Dunkin Donuts less than five minute walk away
- Attached and in-hotel restaurants were decent. Had a good salad and entree at lunch time, albeit it was standardly overpriced, but that is the way of hotel restaurants. Good service, very nice server.
- AWESOME gym. AWESOME. Pick this facility if you care a lot about your gym while away.
- Great staff, particularly the bellmen/outdoor

Negatives:
- Facility is big
- Rooms average sized, nothing special, but consistent with Westin experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay here at the Westin Boston Waterfront. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be helpful and accommodating.

I'm also delighted to hear you enjoyed our Westin Workout facility while you were here. At Westin, we want you to leave feeling better than when you arrived, and we're glad our guests are enjoying staying fit at our facilities.

Again, thank you for your positive review of The Westin Boston Waterfront and we hope to welcome you back should your travels take you back to Boston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Westborough, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Hotel is nice although rooms have some wear and tear. The desk chair in my suite was ripped. My sunblock shade didn't work. I was a little underwhelmed on the quality. For the $$, I don't think it lines up, but the amenities help make up for the room quality.

Positives: Starbucks in the lobby, gym was really nice (get there early), bonus with rooms that include exercise gear, running concierge that will take you on a run around Boston, food was really good in our meetings. People loved the snack ideas in particular with a "milk and cookies" theme where we literally gave them milk and cookies plus full size candy bars. It rocked. Overall though several people commented on how good the food was. Location is also good - in walking distance to nice restaurants like Legal Test Kitchen and bars like Whiskey's. All in about 10 minutes.

Negatives: Meeting staff we had worked with had the day off on day 2 of our meetings and never told us in advance. We had an issue with no Wi-Fi and had no contact. Ended up having to go to the business office to have them set everything up again. We had a dinner at MJ O'Connors. Again, food was good, but service was terrible. They cannot handle a party of 35 people no matter what they say. It took 2 hours for people to be served dinner with a pre-order. And with a pre-order, they still went around to each person to take orders for salads and dinner. Made zero sense.

Room Tip: High up and ask for a city view
Green Features: They are a green hotel and explain that to you in their literature.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay with us at The Westin Boston Waterfront.

You mentioned the desk chair in the guest room being a bit worn and we could not agree with you more! We are in the process of working out logistics to have them all replaced and should have that done by the end of the summer...it will certainly make a big difference in the overall quality of a very clean room.

I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed the breaks during the meetings, and had time to explore the WestinWorkout and eat at Starbucks. I'd have to agree we're in a great neighborhood with many restaurants and attractions close by.

I'm surpised to hear about the event issues, and would like the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience. I can be reached at michael.jorgensen@westin.com and look forward to hearing from you.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We spent 2 nights at the property over this last week, checked in on Thursday and checked out on Saturday morning. We found the hotel to be very overpriced for what it is and they charge for every conceivable extra that you can think of.

We requested a room on the higher floors of the hotel, which we were given, however it had a limited view of the city which was the whole reason for our request.

We were charged $80 for wireless internet in the room and $70 for car parking none of which was mentioned when we checked in.

As per other reviews we experienced the fire alarm issue and there did to seem to be any real control of the situation other than an automated voice activated alarm that told us that if we heard a second message directly after the first then we had to evacuate, this seemed to be a very confusing situation as you can imagine at 1am in the morning to be awoken by this type of noise was quite distressing. We also were not offered any explanation as to why it had happened and could only surmise on this.

To top off our stay on the Saturday 100's of people descended upon the hotel for a convention on the Walking Dead series (Zombie TV Series), whilst some of these people went to great efforts to dress up which is applaudable, seeing hundreds of zombies taking over the hotel was not what was expected or informed to us by the hotel.

Overall not a great stay for something we had been really looking forward to as a Climax to our trip to Boston and New England. A two night stay cost us almost US$800, with only breakfast provided.

We will probably not look to stay at this hotel again if we do ever visit Boston.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MJorgensen, General Manager at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Westin Boston Waterfront. I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay and I apologize for the disruption due to the fire alarm. While we do take every precaution to avoid false alarms, occasionally it does happen, but a sufficient explanation should have been offered. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you further about your experience. If you have a moment, please contact me at michael.jorgensen@westin.com. I look forward to connecting with you.
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

So many things wrong that I just can't justify a better rating. The hotel itself is quite nice and
everything you would expect but things started to go wrong almost immediately. What was not
their fault - but they should know - is that cell phone signals are not available in every room.

Dinner at the Irish Pub and my wife had an undercooked BBQ chicken (raw meat at the bone)
which is really not up to par for an establishment like this.

Then the fun started: 1 a.m. a fire alarm goes off. Get down to the lobby to find it's false but the
Boston FD has to reset the alarm so noise everywhere. Return to bed ~1:20 and a second fire
alarm goes off ~1:35 am! Same drill. So, *NOT* a good night's sleep at all.

At check out, there was NO explanation so I asked. No apology either. Apparently their
cleaning crew set the alarms off twice ... so I would have expected a discount for the inconvenience
but *nothing*.

Really not a good experience and a hotel of this standard should do much, much better.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Westin Boston Waterfront. I am very happy that you had a chance to stay with us, although I was disappointed to learn of your experience at MJ O'Connors and the disruption due to the fire alarms. While we do take every precaution to avoid false alarms, occasionally it does happen, but a sufficient explanation should have been offered. I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you further about both experiences. If you have a moment, please contact me at michael.jorgensen@westin.com. I look forward to connecting with you.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Long overdue review but well worth wait....
My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in July 2011 during the hottest heat wave ever in the city's history. The a/c was on high and well received. We arrived to a room upgrade and dessert in our room for our anniversary. The room was spotless with a view of the harbour. It was an easy commute to transit but after hours you do have to walk a. Bit to the seaport. Excellent place with great pub downstairs.

Room Tip: Harbour view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your positive review of our hotel. I’m delighted that you took the time to share your experience, so many years after your visit! We strive to create memorable experiences for all of our guests, and I’m so happy to hear you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I should note that the hotel and local area has changed dramatically in the past few years, and should your travels take you back to Boston, I think you'd be delighted to see how much the area has changed and what we have to offer.

Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back should your travels take you back to Boston.
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

My stay at the Westin involved a long weekend for a conference. The hotel is ideal in that it has a sky-bridge directly connecting it to the conference center. There are several bars in the lobby for some late night fun, as well as a Starbucks to help get you going the next morning. And when you're tired of the lobby bars, it is a short walk to the waterfront for some excellent scenery and many great options for food and drinks. Or you can jump in a cab, and in just a few minutes find yourself on the North End; aka Little Italy.

Checking out is a breeze, as they have a luggage storage for later flights, and a printer to print boarding passes. The staff were all very friendly during my stay. I would stay here again, even if not for a conference.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your fabulous review following your recent stay at The Westin Boston Waterfront. I'm delighted you had the time to enjoy our restaurant and bar, as well as visit the local area and experience the many attractions Boston has to offer.

Again, thank you for your positive review. We look forward to welcoming you back should your travel plans take you back to the Boston area.
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed at this hotel a few years ago and had great memories. So much so, that I decided to stay here again for a weekend trip to Boston. I remembered having a great room w/view last time, the bed was amazing, the room smelled great...

This time, the room reeked of body odor, the bedding didn't look crisp & clean, we had a view to a construction site, it was just not what I previously experienced. It was really disappointing.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
I appreciate your taking the time to write a review following your most recent stay at The Westin Boston Waterfront. I'm very disappointed to hear about your experience as this is not at all what we want our guests to encounter. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further and I can be reached at michael.jorgensen@westin.com.

Been to The Westin Boston Waterfront? Share your experiences!