“Nice property but "out of the way"” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #44 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Nice property but "out of the way"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I recently stayed at the Westin Boston Waterfront which is located in the Seaport district of Boston. Just far enough away from downtown that it is a bit inconvenient unless you are attending an event at the Boston Convention Center (which I wasn't). The hotel is quite new, rooms are spacious and clean and the lobby is bustling with the business center, bar and convention goers on their laptops. My business and interests are closer to Back Bay and Copley Square so I wouldn't choose this property again for that reason but it is a nice property that is connected to the convention center.

Room Tip: Face downtown Boston on a high floor (above the height of the convention center)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for posting your review of our property. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will consider staying with us again in the future to enjoy the up and coming Seaport District.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

James the Valet at the Westin Boston Waterfront hotel was the most friendly and helpful man. He has a great attitude and personality. It was a pleasure meeting him. James really took care of my wheels. Thanks, John

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for recognizing James. He has been with us for some time now and we are grateful to have him on our team. I hope you will consider staying with us on your next trip to Boston.
Sussex, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This large hotel/conference centre is clearly aimed AT the conference market - in particular, with guys in mind. The huge, modern lobby boasts a massive bar/sports bar/cafe area in the middle, and an Irish "pub" to one side. As I walked through, I saw lots of guys watching sports in the bar, and another group carrying off six-packs (the beer variety). There's a little gift shop near the elevators which has quite a comprehensive stock, which does not include milk, staffed by disengaged and not particularly helpful employees.
Reception staff were nice, and very helpful, but queues/lines built up very quickly, as the desks are the modern , individual type that Westin usually have.
Rooms were the usual Westin high standard, although not many amenities in the bathroom - however, they had, as always, their lovely leaf soap bars. The shower was the downpour type and was superb, with separate hand held shower head If I remember correctly.
Very noisy. Large groups of guys, shouting and talking loudly before 9am and after 4pm, in the corridors (probably before/after conferences, I guess), and the walls were so thin, I was actually awoken in the middle of the night by a guest snoring in an adjacent room - without having the satisfaction of being able to whack him like I can my own husband, I had to resort to earplugs, which still didn't drown out the noise completely. Worst of all, came the impossible to ignore sounds of other guests, from whom I am guessing from the performance given, were not previously acquainted with one another before this particular evening. So by now, you are getting the gist of the type of clientele this hotel attracts!
It is a good 20 minute walk into the city centre/downtown, and the local train - which is three stops into town, including one change, is an eye-wateringly TEN dollars' return!!! more expensive than London, UK underground - and that's saying something!
Overall, if you are a young guy who loves a beer and a good time, I think this hotel would definitely fit the bill, in every way.... or maybe, a single woman, ha! ha! If you're hoping for a quiet hotel, with easy access to the town centre, look elsewhere. Very convenient for the airport, as only about ten minutes' away - along with that, comes some aircraft noise as well.....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Trip Advisor is a wonderful for people to voice their opinions and we appreciate your feedback.
Coastal Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

My son and I went here for a little vacation over Labor Day weekend. All of the hotels within easy walking distance of downtown were taken so we opted to stay at the Westin Boston Waterfront. The hotel itself was very nice with pretty landscaping, ample parking and a large lobby. Our room was very clean with extremely comfortable beds. The bathroom was not huge but met our needs and had a wonderful Kohler rain shower with handheld and a bathrobe for use during our stay. We are SPG Gold members so received internet for free, otherwise there is a charge (which I find extremely annoying). The only other thing I found annoying was that there was an old minibar fridge in the room that didn't work so I had to call down for a small frig to keep snacks and drings cold. After the second call one was delivered for us to use during our stay. As far as amenities are concerned we utilized the pool and the restaurant. The pool was nicely sized and never very busy. The hot tub is attached so you can literally lean over the edge of it into the pool, which my son liked. We ate dinner at M.J. O'Connor's both nights of our stay and were very pleased with everything about those experiences. The service was friendly and efficient and the food was very good at a reasonable price given that this is Boston. The only cons about this hotel are 1) parking, 2) breakfast and 3) location. The parking garage is large enough and we easily found a spot to park but it is under the hotel and a bit sketchy feeling for a mom and her 9-year-old son. Thankfully we parked during the day and never had to revisit the parking garage until the morning we departed. Breakfast was ridiculously priced in both the other restaurant "Sauciety" and room service. Prices were just exorbitant. There is also a Starbucks in the lobby but it was always so busy we didn't want to bother with the wait. We ended up walking into town and getting something to eat at Quincy Market. Lastly, the location isn't ideal. There is a T within a short 3-4 minute walk from the hotel but it is the silver line, which requires several transfers to get downtown. A definite option when the weather is inclement but we chose to walk - and walk we did. It is probably a 20 minute walk to the aquarium area but it was a gorgeous weekend so it was ok. There are several restaurants within a ten-minute walk but to actually be downtown near Quincy Market and other attractions be prepared to walk a bit longer.

All-in-all I would return if we were flying out or taking a cruise (you can see the cruise ships from the hotel room windows) but would rather stay closer to town if that were an option.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time post your review. We do appreciate the feedback and hope you will consider staying with us in the future.
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Calvin went out of his way to make sure I had everything I needed to make my stay like a home away from home! He hooked me up with a DVD player and Pilates ball so I could work out. He is incredibly well spoken, and is an asset to the Westin Waterfont. Thank you Calvin! :)

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for posting your review and for recognizing Calvin at our Front Office. Calvin is relatively new at the hotel but he is a breath of fresh air and a welcome addition to our team. We hope you will consider staying with us on your next trip to Boston.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I enjoyed my stay. Amenities were fine. I especially enjoyed the attentive service from the staff, especially Aziz who went above & beyond his duty in order to be helpful. Food at the attached restaurant was delicious.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for posting your review and for recognizing our hardworking staff members, especially Aziz from our Front Office. I was delighted to read your stay with us was enjoyable and we look forward to hosting you in the future.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

My bf and I went to Boston for the weekend and decided to stay at here because the price was more reasonable and the reviews were decent.

Location: Very close to the airport. We took the silver line bus (which is free if you catch it from the airport) and got off at World Trade Center station. The hotel is a 5min walk from the station. We were told that it's a 15-20 min walk to get downtown, but we were too lazy so we purchased a 7-day pass and took the bus/subway everywhere. I think if I wasn't on a budget, I would have liked to stay downtown...

Service: friendly and helpful staff. The day we were leaving, we wanted to print our boarding passes beforehand to save time at the airport. There's a computer and printer that you can use for free to print your boarding pass! It's located near the reception.

Rooms: clean, comfortable beds. Love the waterfall showerhead! No complaints.

Amenities: we only made use of the gym, which had some cardio equipment, mats, and some weights. There are even earbuds (new) that you can grab to plug into your cardio machine, if you were like me and forgot to bring your own. Free wifi in the loby was reliable and fast. Starbucks was also a plus!

Overall, very pleasant stay. Would recommend it to others visiting Boston.

Room Tip: ask for a room on a higher floor to get a good view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Boston Waterfront? Share your experiences!