“American Trip” 4 of 5 stars

UK
“American Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Westin Waterfront – Boston [SPG Preferred Guest]
This hotel is some distance from the main waterfront and centre of Boston but the Boston T subway system is close by across a long flyover bridge.

Having previously joined the SPG preferred guest scheme [free to those having stayed at a Sheraton], we were given a very good room with a very good view on the 15th floor which reserved for Starwood Preferred Guests.
The reception was very good at dealing with queries and had a check out specifically for SPG preferred guests.
Meals were not tried but a Starbucks was available in reception for snacks.

Room Tip: become a Starwood preferred guest It's free
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Bloomfield Hills, MIchigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed here to attend a meeting in the hotel itself. This is a nice Westin hotel with its usual comfortable "heavenly bed". Meeting food was very good. My only real complaints involve the location and the small number of restaurants in a hotel of this size. The location is excellent for a meeting at the nearby convention center but there are very few restaurants within walking distance. The hotel itself had only one restaurant open at dinner time during a very busy conference! Our Boston relatives said that this is a still developing area which should improve in the future but for now be prepared to leave for any variety in food or for sightseeing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for posting your review. You are correct in that we are located in the up and coming Seaport District and there are many more restaurant openings on the horizon. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Albany, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this location recently in conjunction with a SciFi conference. The hotel made the bizarre decision to close their main restaurant (except at breakfast, which was pricey) for a conference of 3,500 people! The only options were Starbucks, the lobby bar area (with glacially slow service), and the "Irish pub" attached. As for the latter, beware the meatloaf - it was all but inedible. They offer a good selection of beers & ales, as one would expect in this venue, but wine selection is poor.
Guest rooms were attractive enough and clean, with the exception of a smear of dried blood on one sheet, which had obviously not been laundered. Bottom sheets on both beds were too short to tuck in at either end, so the beds were short-sheeted. Beds were also unpleasantly firm. The water pressure in the bathroom was very poor.
And $45 a night for valet parking (the self park was full, with a sign to talk to valet parking) is a bit high, even for Boston!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. While I was disappointed to read your comments, they will serve as a reminder of what we can do to improve our services going forward. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Went to Boston for the first time for a weekend trip. This hotel was nice and delivered on expectations.

Pros- Very clean. Nice, "hip" lobby with modern setup and Starbucks downstairs. Friendly staff. Rooms were spacious, clean and we were given a very nice room with view of the harbor. Nice location if you want to walk the waterfront area. 10 minute drive from airport. Always cab or transportation in front of hotel.

Con- Only con would be that hotel is a little more south than I would have liked. Cab rides to Fenway and Cambridge area were a bit expensive. However, for a major city, Boston is very easy to get around.

Overall a very nice experience and recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the tim to post your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to hosting you in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

From the valet/door staff to room housekeepers, staff did everything they could to make us comfortable and happy. We stayed four nights for the Arisia convention. As volunteers in various con departments and wth me as a program panelist and publisher's representative, our party saw every aspect of the hotel's functions. The sleeping room was clean and well appointed with comfy beds and pillows. Where the system fell down was that for 3 guests there were 2 sets of towels, glasses, etc. The cot provided was dusty along its base and had no pillows or extra blankets. The fridge provided was set directly on the carpet so the door was difficult to open. Each of these issues was addressed promptly by housekeeping staff after a phone call to Service Express. We imagine the breakdown was somewhere between the front desk and whoever writes the plans for setting up the rooms for non-standard parties. Throughout the long weekend, staff were responsive, friendly and actually fun to work with. I ate in the lobby restaurant twice and once the server was gruff and indifferent and the other time Jennifer was exceptionally bright and enhanced our dining experience (late at night). The food was also variable. Because this hotel is off in a warehouse district by a convention center, there are few eateries nearby. The restaurants on-site only compete with delivery services, so maybe they are less concerned about value for the money because they have a captive audience. In January in Boston, I'm not hitting the streets so I accepted the drafty, noisy lounge restaurant. I would not go there for fun if we were in the area. Altogether, we had a good experience and look forward to returning for Arisia 2014.

Room Tip: Rooms on the odd-number side have a south-east over the harbor and out to the ocean with some mornin...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and recognize our hardworking staff during the Arisia conference. I was happy to read you enjoyed your stay and look forward to hosting you again in 2014.
Beverly Ma.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This being a Westin hotel, I expected a certain level of service, and being disabled, I present certain difficulties anywhere I stay, I was in the hotel working a Sci-Fi convention, and hadn't actually booked a room in advance, being on crutches, I figured the chances of me getting a room that accessible, was a long shot, never mind getting the convention discount, I was wrong on both counts, the young lady at the reservation desk performed a minor miracle, finding me both a accessible room, and a great rate(actually better than the convention rate! LOL) The room was immaculate, and the bed was the most comfortable thing I've ever laid my body on, I splurged, and actually had the breakfast buffet both mornings I stayed, at $23, it was a little steep, but the buffet itself was extensive, with the best scrambled eggs I've had in years, accompanied by some amazing sausage links, and fresh squeezed orange juice, it more than made up for the sticker shock! All in all, my stay was wonderful.....UNTIL I went to retrieve my car from the parking garage, they refused to honor my validation from the restaurant, giving me the excuse that I was more than two hours...blah blah blah, and the girl working the window was like a horse with a kickstand, nothing worse than someone who speaks broken English, being condescending, AND useless! $82 dollars for two nights!! Never again, this ruined an otherwise flawless stay, and cost them the extra star! lol my advice is to take a cab, and use the money you save on parking, for the breakfast buffet! LOL

Room Tip: Find parking close by for less, their garage is a ripoff! Ask for a room away from the garage area...
Florida, Uruguay
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I loved (past tense) this hotel. It is conveniently located very close to a major meeting location for the World Trade Center meeting venue for our annual scientific meeting. The staff is very courteous and professional. The only issue is that every year we come here they have a SciFi convention. The convention is very cute and the people dressing up like Chubaka are delightful. Unfortunately the guests make it take forever to get an elevator, and they are having parties all night long. I need to get my sleep, and there are constantly people giggling, running, and making loud noises in the hallways all night long. While I might still recommend this hotel, I would not stay here during this convention unless you don't want to fall asleep until 4 am.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. Your feedback is appreciated.

Been to The Westin Boston Waterfront? Share your experiences!