“Very helpful and friendly front desk staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Boston-South Boston

You added Courtyard Boston-South Boston to your Saves list
Courtyard Boston-South Boston
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   63 R Boston Street, Boston, MA 02115 (Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #62 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Very helpful and friendly front desk staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed here with my family for two nights. Decent room. Front desk staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Free parking. We never tried the breakfast at the hotel. Target (and other stores) are right next door in case you forgot anything. T station (Boston public transportation) is walking distance away. Some posted they felt the neighborhood was questionable. I only walked it during daylight hours with my husband and 3 kids, and we never felt unsafe.

We thought we forgot my son's bathing suit, so we called the hotel 2 days later to ask if it was found. They called us back within an hour. No luck, but we were very appreciative for the return call. We've called another hotel 3 times with no return call.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Antonio L, Manager at Courtyard Boston-South Boston, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Courtyard by Marriott- South Boston. Our staff works hard to make sure your stay in our hotel is one that will encourage you to come back. Our whole focus is based on providing the best service we are able to.
We sincerely hope that you come back to experience our top to bottom hotel renovations that include a brand new bistro concept .

Antonio Lama

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Potomac, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This Courtyard is good. Modern décor and well appointed from lobby to the rooms. Very clean and efficient. Staff is polite and helpful and more than happy to help even if not part of their job.

Very convenient access to I-93 (main North/South highway through middle of Boston).

The area/neighborhood around the hotel is a little "iffy". I was warned by the locals (taxi drivers, business colleagues, etc.) to be careful walking in or through the local neighborhood, especially at night.

On one evening, walking back from the nearby T-station (Boston's name for its subway system), noticed drunks harassing people and some aggressive homeless panhandlers. Understood why even later in the night why it could be a problem.

The cleaning staff, why very good at cleaning the rooms, lobby, etc., noticed the elevators always seemed to take a long time. One morning, I noticed while waiting for an elevator, these 3 cleaning staff came into the elevator waiting area, and they pressed both the UP and DOWN buttons.

Elevator showed up going UP. None of them got in. I thought they didn't realize elevator had showed up so I told them an elevator had shown up. They said they were going DOWN. I asked, "Why did you press the UP button then?". Their response: we push BOTH buttons regularly to get an elevator faster.

At this point, I shut up. Figured trying to explain to them that all they've done is SLOW down the elevators for EVERYONE would be pointless.

This is a good hotel overall, just be aware of the neighborhood surrounding it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Antonio L, Manager at Courtyard Boston-South Boston, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
On behalf of the Courtyard by Marriott South Boston, I wanted to thank you for sharing your experience and for staying with us. I really appreciate all of your comments and thanks to these we are able to provide our guests with the best service.

Regarding the safety concerns, I wanted to inform you that we have added a security company to patrol our property and ensure the safety of our guests. I have also taken the time to address the issue with the elevators with all our House Keeping team and if given the opportunity, it will not be repeated.

We are done with renovations and want to invite you back to experience our new state of the art lobby, Bistro and much more!!

Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed one night while my husband was in Boston on business. The hotel is a bit tricky to find (set your GPS for 7 Allstate Rd., Boston, since GPS won't accept the actual address; go through the shopping center lot and the hotel is to the right at the end behind Best Buy). There are lots of shops to roam including TJ Maxx, Old Navy, Marshall's and others. The hotel lobby area is very nicely appointed and the room was definitely a cut above most mid-range hotels. Our room was probably a third larger than the standard and nicely decorated so I think it would be a comfortable and somewhat reasonable (by Boston standards) place for a more extended stay. The breakfast buffet was very good and the price seemed OK ($11.95). The cons: a TV remote that didn't work, the wall outlet above desk wasn't working well, WiFi was pretty slow and the waitress in the breakfast room was not the most pleasant and seemed to begrudge having to bring more coffee. Parking is easy and free.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Antonio L, Manager at Courtyard Boston-South Boston, responded to this review, August 30, 2013

Regarding the issues you had experience, I wanted to inform you that we are taking the appropiate steps to fix them and we have added a brand new bistro concept and trained all our staff members in order to provide excellent service.
I would like to invite you back to experience our new state of the art lobby, Bistro and much more!!

Assistant General Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I spent one night at the Courtyard Boston-South on a recent business trip. It was a frustrating stay from the minute I closed the door to my room until I attempted to eat breakfast the following morning. While the room was large and had the appearance of being updated, it was certainly not. From the cracked and loose floor tiles in the bathroom to the stained carpet and sheets the room was far from perfect. I couldn't get the wifi to work, so I called the front desk to inquire about the issue and the front desk clerk told me the wifi was still down. Still down? I just checked-in. It would have been nice to inform me of this five minutes ago when I checked in. The wifi was never restored. My frustration continued at breakfast the following morning. The overly-priced buffet seemed to be missing some dairy products, including the waffle mix. When I asked about the waffles, etc... I was told the refrigerator was locked and the keys should be coming in ten minutes. Ten minutes came and went... and so did I. I left without eating and walked to the neighboring shopping center for breakfast at Panera Bread. When I returned to the hotel from breakfast I was thinking about my rating for the hotel when I overheard a woman at the count say "this was the worst breakfast ever. I want my money back!" I could not have agreed more. Next time I'm in Boston I will take a pass on this property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

I would like to take this opportunity to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you encountered and address your concerns, Although we have a very thorough preventative maintenance program, we clearly fell short in providing you a quality room that you have come to expect from our hotel.

I wanted to inform you that we had renovated every single guest room in our hotel.
We sincerely hope that you come back to experience our top to bottom hotel renovations and become one of the first guests to stay at our brand new guest rooms.

Elmira, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed Memorial Day weekend. Check in was quick and easy, the gentleman at the front desk was kind and helpful. The room was "very clean", comfortable, and less expensive than hotels in downtown Boston and parking is "free". The T station is a five minute walk or the hotel provides a shuttle to and from. We took the trains to Fenway Park and downtown Boston with ease. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I was honored to read your impressions regarding our front desk staff and will make sure to let them know.

Assistant General Manager
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The location is nice and close to downtown without the expense with easy access to I-90 & I-93. I was on the east side of the building on the fourth floor; very quiet and comfortable. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I will pick this one again when I come back.

Room Tip: Rooms that face east will get the bright morning sun on clear days.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Location is two stops from South Station, not bad. Happy with the room size, cleanliness. However, when we arrived at noon, only one person was manning the desk and he was on the telephone helping someone. Rest of the staff were in the coffee shop, having lunch break (?) and since the coffee shop is open, most of the staff were staring at us, but none came to help until their lunch was over. Finally, after standing around for a good ten minutes wondering if we were going to be helped, staff lunch was over and someone checked us in. When booking, I inquired if breakfast was complimentary and was assured that in all Courtyards, if I ever had stayed in one, breakfast was ALWAYS complimentary. First day at breakfast we were told it was $11.95/pp. I told them the assurance I got when booking and after some debate, was comped for the days we stayed. This part was unsettling.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard Boston-South Boston? Share your experiences!