“Average all around” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Boston-South Boston

Save Saved
You added Courtyard Boston-South Boston to your Saves list
Courtyard Boston-South Boston
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   63 R Boston Street, Boston, MA 02115 (Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #57 of 77 hotels in Boston
“Average all around”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I spent one night at the Courtyard Boston-South on a recent business trip. It was a frustrating stay from the minute I closed the door to my room until I attempted to eat breakfast the following morning. While the room was large and had the appearance of being updated, it was certainly not. From the cracked and loose floor tiles in the bathroom to the stained carpet and sheets the room was far from perfect. I couldn't get the wifi to work, so I called the front desk to inquire about the issue and the front desk clerk told me the wifi was still down. Still down? I just checked-in. It would have been nice to inform me of this five minutes ago when I checked in. The wifi was never restored. My frustration continued at breakfast the following morning. The overly-priced buffet seemed to be missing some dairy products, including the waffle mix. When I asked about the waffles, etc... I was told the refrigerator was locked and the keys should be coming in ten minutes. Ten minutes came and went... and so did I. I left without eating and walked to the neighboring shopping center for breakfast at Panera Bread. When I returned to the hotel from breakfast I was thinking about my rating for the hotel when I overheard a woman at the count say "this was the worst breakfast ever. I want my money back!" I could not have agreed more. Next time I'm in Boston I will take a pass on this property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Antonio L, Manager at Courtyard Boston-South Boston, responded to this review, August 19, 2013

Our staff works hard to make sure your stay in our hotel is one that will encourage you to come back. Our whole focus is based on providing the best service we are able to.

I would like to take this opportunity to extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you encountered and address your concerns, Although we have a very thorough preventative maintenance program, we clearly fell short in providing you a quality room that you have come to expect from our hotel.

I wanted to inform you that we had renovated every single guest room in our hotel.
We sincerely hope that you come back to experience our top to bottom hotel renovations and become one of the first guests to stay at our brand new guest rooms.

281 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Elmira, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed Memorial Day weekend. Check in was quick and easy, the gentleman at the front desk was kind and helpful. The room was "very clean", comfortable, and less expensive than hotels in downtown Boston and parking is "free". The T station is a five minute walk or the hotel provides a shuttle to and from. We took the trains to Fenway Park and downtown Boston with ease. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Antonio L, Manager at Courtyard Boston-South Boston, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
On behalf of the Courtyard by Marriott South Boston, I wanted to thank you for sharing your experience and for staying with us. I really appreciate all of your comments and thanks to these we are able to provide our guests with the best service.
I was honored to read your impressions regarding our front desk staff and will make sure to let them know.

I would like to invite you back to experience our new state of the art lobby, Bistro and much more!!

Assistant General Manager
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The location is nice and close to downtown without the expense with easy access to I-90 & I-93. I was on the east side of the building on the fourth floor; very quiet and comfortable. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I will pick this one again when I come back.

Room Tip: Rooms that face east will get the bright morning sun on clear days.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Location is two stops from South Station, not bad. Happy with the room size, cleanliness. However, when we arrived at noon, only one person was manning the desk and he was on the telephone helping someone. Rest of the staff were in the coffee shop, having lunch break (?) and since the coffee shop is open, most of the staff were staring at us, but none came to help until their lunch was over. Finally, after standing around for a good ten minutes wondering if we were going to be helped, staff lunch was over and someone checked us in. When booking, I inquired if breakfast was complimentary and was assured that in all Courtyards, if I ever had stayed in one, breakfast was ALWAYS complimentary. First day at breakfast we were told it was $11.95/pp. I told them the assurance I got when booking and after some debate, was comped for the days we stayed. This part was unsettling.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chatham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I will be returning to Boston and plan to stay here again. The rooms are clean and spacious with all the normal amenities. The restaurant is okay but doesn't serve all day long. The front desk staff was helpful. Do not expect much in the way of a pool...it is the size of a postage stamp. Also the lobby contained a "Market Place" where small incidentals and quick snacks could be obtained. No real selection and sky high prices. The free parking was great except in our case we would have been better off flying to Boston and 'cabbing' it everywhere-therefore not needing the free parking. All considered this hotel is close to grocery stores, restaurants and public transit and that is its greatest asset. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience at our Courtyard by Marriott- South Boston. Our staff works hard to make sure your stay in our hotel is one that will encourage you to come back.
Our whole focus is based on providing the best service we are able to.
We look forward to seeing you come back to experience our top to bottom hotel renovations, Bistro and brand new guest rooms.

Assistant General Manager
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Located in a very bad section of Boston.

Part of the hotel is going through renovation. This is not mentioned in the web site while making the booking. No meeting rooms available because of the renovation. Hotel staff refuse to call to other Marriott hotels to check for other options.

Poor service - this one does not deserve to be a part of the Marriott Chain. The Manager was very reluctant to talk to me when I tried to complain.

I have been a Marriott Rewards Gold customer for over 10 years and this is the first time I have seen such poor service

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

It was our first time in Boston so we weren't planning on spending a lot of time in the hotel, but we still wanted something nice and clean, which we found at Courtyard South Boston. We had read the mixed reviews but we were pleasantly surprised. Check-in was a breeze, the staff was very helpful, they even let us into our room about three hours early so we just dropped of our bags and went for a walk. The subway station is a 5-minute-walk away, another staff member directed us to it, and in less than 20 minutes we were right in the middle of downtown Boston.
Rooms are nice, clean and very spacious.
Breakfast was ok, at first we thought it was included but it was our mistake, we ended up taking it anyway, $11.95 per person.
Overall a really nice stay, we would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends