“Staff was great!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Boston-South Boston

You added Courtyard Boston-South Boston to your Saves list
Courtyard Boston-South Boston
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   63 R Boston Street, Boston, MA 02115 (Dorchester / Roxbury / Mattapan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #62 of 77 Hotels in Boston
New Hampshire
“Staff was great!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

The hotel was very clean and the staff was great. They brought the adults larger towels at the pool instead of making us use the small thin one. The waitress at breakfast was fantastic. She keep the kids very happy. The location of the hotel is not great if you are doing things in the city but we just went the parade in South Boston so we were fine.

• Liked — friendly staff and plenty of parking
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

We checked in the hotel for one night on March 10th. Arrived at Logan and shuttle was at the airport to pick us up 20 minutes after we called. We arrived at the hotel and there was one front desk agent. She never greeted us , never said anything really. I finally said we wanted to check in . She said name, never looking at me. Then she asked for my credit card, again never looking at me, never recognizing me as a silver elite, nothing. She gave me my credit card back , handed me my key , and never said a word. She didnt tell me the room number, she didnt say anything , I asked for the room number and she pointed at the key pack. We were hoping the whole experience would not be as cold and unfriendly as this one woman was. We got in the room. It was very nice, clean and spacious. Throughtout the rest of the stay , the other front desk staff and other staff members of the hotel were very friendly and attentive, which is why I will not let this one person spoil my review for the hotel. Thats why i ranked it excellent. Everyone else went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure we were satisfied. Thanks Courtyard South Boston.

• Liked — Location was good, big shopping center with restaurants next door
  • Disliked — The woman who checked us in
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

I travel extensively for work, and stay at Marriott-brand properties about 125 nights a year. I've learned what to expect from these hotels.

This Courtyard is one of the nicest I have stayed in, anywhere. From the outside, it's really beautiful and upscale, MUCH moreso than you'd expect from this brand. The lobby and pool and also really beautiful.

My room was standard-issue Coutyard 2007, meaning lots of creamy wallpaper, attractive furniture, and a nice bed. The bathroom was also great. The room was sparkling clean.

Overall, the property itself is terrific....BUT, step off the property and it's a different story. It's located in one of those neighborhoods that realtors politely call "transitional." Looking out of the hotel in one direction is an old factory that looks like it's been abandoned for decades, the back of a Best Buy in the other direction, the hotel parking lot in a third direction, and the back of an old Howard Johnson's in a fourth direction. I got lost a few blocks from the hotel, and when I called for help, the front desk person asked if I was "next to the projects." Next door to the hotel is a really nice, new Power Center mall with a Target, Best Buy, Olive Garden, supermarket, Applebee's, etc. The convention center is also a fairly close drive, especially if you learn the back route to get there.

It seems as though the city has worked hard to redevelop this area, but the hotel and the adjacent strip mall are about the only bright spots for many blocks in all directions.

Loved the hotel, but the location kills the place. What a pity.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2008

My room at the Courtyard South Boston was extremely clean as well as roomy and well appointed. The wireless internet was fast and easy to access. The fitness room was small but adequate, and all of the equipment was in good repair. Possibly the most memorable aspect of my stay was the helpfulness and courtesy of the staff. The shuttle bus drivers were kind enough to drop me off at the closest metro stop (about a 10-minute walk away) on several occasions and also pick me up from the station. I also used the complimentary airport shuttle and was pleasantly surprised by how quickly the shuttle arrived at the airport. I'll definitely consider staying here again on my next Boston trip!

• Liked — Great value
  • Disliked — Breakfast left a little bit to be desired.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
Maryville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2008

My wife and I stayed in the Courtyard by Marriott South Boston, 63 R Boston Street, Boston, MA 02125, for almost two weeks in August, 2007. The staff was friendly and helpful, the price was reasonable for a large city, and the room was spacious, well maintained, clean, and had free WiFi. The subway is a five minute walk away, and a shopping mall with an Olive Garden and Chili's Restaurant is located directly behind the hotel. The shopping mall also has a Target, Circuit City, and supermarket among many other stores. Other eating places are within walking distance, but were more expensive and/or of unknown quality so we avoided them except for one which was expensive and not very good. We took the subway to the suburbs like the Harvard area or downtown for evening meals on many days and were well satisfied. We typically had breakfast in the hotel dining room which was very good, but somewhat pricey. The hotel has a shuttle service which was useful and if you tip well the drivers may stretch the rules and go well above and beyond in being helpful and getting you where you want to be!

• Liked — The room was very nice
  • Disliked — The price of breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
gananoque
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2008

My wife and two young girls (6 and 9) as well as another couple with kids close to the same age arrived in Boston on Dec 30 for a couple of nights and a Boston Bruins game. After an 8 hr drive the staff at the front desk were great. They were very friendly and things were handled quickly. Our rooms were basic but clean and nice. The pool is very easy to access through the lobby and we immediately went there with 4 young ones. The pool was a little small for them, however, that was ok. (be careful though it is a little slippery on the deck...why pools do that???) The kids like the pool regardless. We felt very at ease there and even brought a few beer (in cans) to sip on while kids were in pool and we sat in hot tub.
As for getting around Boston and to the game, front desk had a little direction sheet telling us how to walk to the TTC or 'T' as they call it. It was about a 10 minute walk (if that) to the 'T' and before we knew it we were at the Bruins game. Not only were the people nice at the hotel, everyone we talked to in Boston were very very friendly. After the game, some police officers gave us directins to Cheers and we had a ball! MInd you everything is a two minute walk to Boston people... perhaps the Boston Marathon mentality? A little long of a walk, but my 6 yr old handled it on a chilly New Years Eve.
The breakfast was fantastic. The nice man at the front desk gave us a deal for the first morning since we were so 'nice' haha and had such a long drive. It was a buffet and 'Mercedez', the waitress, is fantastic. Thank you for everything Mercedez! Needless to say, a very healthy and tasty breakfast.
The only problem with the hotel is the tricky spot it sits and trying to find it. It is located behind a mall, and if you see a sign for Holiday Inn, then that is it. Courtyard needs a BIGGER SIGN!!!!

Other than that, a great stay! thanks Boston
Chris Shannon
[--] would be happy to tell more

Stayed December 2007
Springfield, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

We were in town for a Friday night wedding in Boston Harbor Hotel. I booked our room directly from the Marriott website for the same price as Hotwire and Expedia ( but ,without their extra fees= $79. + tax). I also received a AAA discount and extra Marriott reward points, as well. The first room was beautiful, but had a very noisy heater. The manager responded immediately and gave us another room with a city view. The staff were helpful giving us driving directions into the city using access roads to avoid rush hour traffic. Next day we found a perfect breakfast stop:Victoria's Diner on 1024 Mass. Ave. that had the best tasting veggie omelts, home fries, coffee---it seems this diner has been a local favorite for almost 60 years.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — hard to find---
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Courtyard Boston-South Boston? Share your experiences!